Saturday, July 15, 2023

Progress Update

     

Here's sort of a life update, project update, chatty blog post. I'm sorry theses posts get so long. I just sort of word spill. The picture is my nice raspberries that are starting to come. We've been eating them as picked, but I'm hoping I'll get enough to make jam too. 

Garage purge: We're still determining what will stay and what will go, but it's getting there. My son is annoyed with my lack of system and just thinks it all should go. My youngest wants everything with even a tangential memory kept. My older daughter has had patience with all of us. The large John Deere riding mower went to a family friend. My daughter's electric mower is pretty easy and nice to use so I think I'll order one like hers and get rid of anything gas powered. I don't want to haul gas from the station, lift out of the hatch back, and likely spill. The electric mower would pay for itself after  the cost of having someone mow 1/2 dozen times. Between the girls and I, we can put head phones on and tackle. Same goes with weed whacking. DH already had a rechargeable one, so it's getting rid of the gas versions that needs to happen. A brother-in-law may want them and is coming Tuesday, and if not another BIL has a resource to take them to repurpose. 

     We found bike racks to get mounted. That will be nice to store them at least out of the way for winter. The garage door opener is wonky, so likely will need replacing, but hoping I can eek a bit more life out of it. I still have too much stuff, but it's not unbearable now. But, 35 years of memories is too much to tackle at one time. If you have the chance, purge now, before a life changing event forces you to. 

Document Sort/Store/Shredding: Like the garage, paperwork that is long outdated, no longer needed, has stacked up in file boxes for way too long. I've got to date checks, looking for anything that might be needed (but I'd have never found it anyway), and then move aside. I researched and will schedule a security shredding company. I'm not sure when I'll get the destruction scheduled, but it'll happen by October. Then, I'll be creating my office space to have a system that works for me. The office is a project for another month. I'm tired of it being make due for now, but just can't take on anymore this summer. 

Deck/Patio: I'm moving ahead on getting the deck removed and replaced with a basic concrete patio. I'm having concrete steps from the back door rather than wood. These will stand the test of time. They'll outlast my time in the house and overall will be no maintenance for me. I'll get to enjoy the space for months before snow comes and will be easier to shovel a path for the dogs out the back too. Since the bathroom is paused waiting for product to September, this should be done by mid August and if weather is nice, give me outdoor work space while remodeling happens inside. We've got to move firewood and I've offered it to neighbors and family. What remains we'll move to the log rack I purchased. 

Coming Thursday

Tree and Yard: The sweet couple next door tackled trimming two of my large pine trees when they did theirs. I've two more in the opposite side to do but they saved me hundreds of dollars and peace of mind. I got them a gift card as a thank you. My kids think they can do the other two trees now that they know the process. If not done before my son leaves (no update on that, but could be quick if an alternative project is offered), I might still hire it out, but two trees is cheaper than four. I feel like I use my daughter's help too much and she's got her own house to manage.

Miscellaneous House Stuff

     The washing machine is really done for. I'm going to use my daughter's or the one at the lake when convenient, some more hand washing, and if need be, haul a load to the laundromat at least until I complete the purge of closets and laundry room. Then I'll make the purchase. Yeah, another expense come August.

     I worked 10-11 hours every day this week trying to get caught up, rather than my 9's. I mentally can't keep that going, not with everything happening around here. Plus, I'm not paid for 50 hours; my salary is based on averaging 40. I need to remember no one is really appreciated or rewarded for providing free hours to their employer. Quite the opposite as it starts being expected as more work gets piled on. My goal is to manage my days better this coming week. With all the happenings, I managed to still meet up with my mom friends for a walk and then a drink and appetizers last week. I missed them, but was dragging the next day. That's what's happening around here. Who else is biting off more than they likely can chew?

36 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are quite busy, and accomplishing a lot. Please remember - take your time. There is no deadline to getting rid of stuff or doing things. You don't have to be in a hurry. In due time!!!!!
    Don't over work yourself. Take care and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deadline was/ is self imposed, but also for when I had time of work and help. There's so much more to do, but the garage purge was the biggie. Now it needs organization.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are making really good progress! Dealing with all of that at once is a huge undertaking. If my husband were to pass with our house/garage in its current state, I can't imagine how much work it would be to go through it all. I'd be tempted to donate/trash all of it, even though I'm sure there is quite a bit of useful stuff. I"m just not sure how much *I'd* use, vs him.

    I've managed to keep my hours pretty reasonable, despite this being a crazy summer of reorganizations, etc. It's not perfect, and there are definitely the occasional 12 hour day weaved in there, but it's much more manageable than it was a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was beyond what normal households would call clutter. There's a few things still to go that need different methods of disposal and then organization.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE your long posts. Over the years of reading, I have always been in awe of how much you have done while also putting in long hours at work. Yes, extra, unpaid hours become taken for granted if we put in too many of them. There were times, though, that I felt I needed the extra hour before or after, addressing less urgent tasks, to make the next day's load easier. After a long evening spent in the office, (at drinks, because the time was spent helping him dig his way out of someone else's mistake, no less) a senior vp made a point to tell me that while he appreciated it, and understood there were times it was needed for my own sanity, not to make a habit of it--he knew who did what and how efficiently they did it. You're not a slacker, and your time is valuable, and is just that, YOUR time.
    I had a friend tell me she couldn't keep up with her raspberries, and asked if I wanted to come and pick some. I had enough for 11 half pint jars of jam, and a raspberry coconut loaf cake. I dropped off a jar of jam and a hand poured beeswax candle in return. (Not that she expected it, of course.) The cake was a new recipe, and it was delicious. This is the one I used: https://www.tastingtable.com/762936/raspberry-coconut-cake-recipe/
    We're settling in to this place--it was just under a year ago that we moved. One kid is heading far away to college in fall (so she says.)I'm excited for her, but will be sad--I'll never let her know that, though. Others chose to study locally. Plans change, though, so we shall see who ends up where. I wish they were all the straight to college, buckle down four years type that I was, but their paths--many of their peers' too--are not as straighforward as I felt mine was.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one should be in awe of me...I get the bare minimum done it feels. I've been better this week at ending my days by 5:15. Yes, our kids need to carve their own path.

      Delete
  4. Oh, forgot to mention: I have that EXACT SAME log rack on my hearth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came, but is still unassembled. Yet another weekend project.

      Delete
  5. Write as much as you want, and as much as you feel. No apologies needed. Hugs from Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good you are making progress. I got rid of gas things once. Then, I bought a reel mower that had no power. It was fun and easy. Then, Tommy bought a gas mower that I paid others to use at my house. Electric sounds perfect.
    The deck will provide a lot of pleasure, I am sure. I fell down the side steps and it is a rough ride down resulting in bruises. Those steps had been there for over 50 years! So, no replacing and costing more money. Every year, I bought a bag of play sand and put it in a five gallon bucket with a lid. I put a plastic bowl of sand, bowl with lid, at the bottom of the steps. I could sprinkle sand liberally before going down the steps. The bowl at the bottom provided enough traction to keep me safe going up the steps. I had to go out to take care of my hens!
    Don't work too hard. I am glad you have children to help you and keep you company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point of telling about the steps was that they were concrete and indestructible! But, it made no sense the way I said it. I was tired. They were indestructible!

      Delete
    2. I understood the connection. Ouch! No date yet on patio.

      Delete
  7. anne in the kitchenJuly 15, 2023 at 4:36 PM

    Sam I will agree with the others and don't let longer days become a habit.
    You know it is perfectly fine to take baby steps dealing with your stuff. There is no timeline except one you self impose since you are staying in the house. Give yourself some slack to get it done on your time.
    I hear you about streamlining our life right now.
    We need to and this summer is a good time to start in earnest because we have very few interruptions for the rest of the year.
    Also thank you Meg for the cake link. It comes at a perfect time when I am cleaning out the fridge and pantry and have everything on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny: Today I am making your "Peruvian Chicken" recipe. Onions have been in lime juice all morning. (And now I have Flip Wilson singing "Lime in the Coconut" in my head.)

      Delete
    2. I feel I'm moving too slow, but deadlines are based on help- plus wasn't my things done before winter. Then I plan to hibernate.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you are getting a lot accomplished.

    Definitely don't put in those longer days. I don't think they are really appreciated and will be 'expected' if they are something that become regular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been more disciplined shutting down by 5:15. Still longer, but not hours longer.

      Delete
  9. I agree with the others about pacing yourself, although the difference between your pace and mine seems to be the difference between 1 and 100 (with me being the 1)!!! I need to get rid of so much stuff for all the reasons you state. Why would I want to leave that to my kids after I'm gone? The hard thing for me is having to drag so much of it up the basement steps when it is so HEAVY! I also got rid of the gas operated garden equipment because for the most part we women just can't lift that heavy stuff. I have a decent lawnmower but the best lawnmower I've ever had comes in a truck every couple of weeks with a young helper. You've inspired me to get going again, although I don't expect to accomplish much in this heat. And I agree with the others about not giving work too many free hours. As you say, they'll come to expect it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might say at most I'm trolling along at 25! And that's on a good day. I need to better use my evenings.

      Delete
  10. It's always good to see a post from you. Sounds like you're getting a lot checked off your list. Be sure and take care of you. Definitely do not put in too many hours. Work life balance is important. Have a great Sunday and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to find balance. More changes are coming, so I'm just trying to manage now.

      Delete
  11. I love your long posts! After a particularly tough stretch in April, I impulsively scheduled 8 days off in July. I had no idea at the time that it would fall during our Back to School launch. I did what I could leading up to my time off and left it all in the hands of everyone else. I’ve heard from a few people that I’m walking into a ticking time bomb/disaster but that’s a tomorrow problem. I had a very gentle, balanced week. We pressure washed the house, but also went to the Post Malone concert. Lots of naps, lots of cleaning. Breakfast with the girls, dinner with my dad, ice cream with my daughter. My fingernails are starting to grow back. My feet don’t hurt. It has been phenomenal.

    It’s amazing how much stuff we have. I like to think I’m good about not bringing in new but I need to be better about getting rid of the old, which I have plans to start purging as we begin packing my daughter back up for college and having a ruthless September where I get rid of holiday decorations and gift wrapping etc. Someone please hold me to that! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd, with no students,even though I work in education, back to school hasn't even dawned on me. I bet August will be a whirlwind for you. Nice to hear from you JoAnn.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like you have way too much on your plate. Please remember to take care of yourself and enjoy summer days too. I need to purge some work clothes and I have been procrastinating. May be this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At work, yes, way too much, but I'm on an internal count down. But then how will I spend my time?

      Delete
  13. You are making great progress on sorting out things! I've been trying to do a little decluttering, with a tiny bit of success. Yes, employers generally are not appreciative of employees working long hours. Cut back to what you are paid for (which may be easier said than done)! Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garage is was the huge job. The laundry room next biggest. Then every single room needs a purge too. Maybe by next year at this time.

      Delete
  14. Oh definitely we are biting the elephant. My late husband was a hoarder, organized but still. I spent 5 months of having a yard sale every weekend. I told Hubby if we don't get this 8000 sq ft barn dealt with I was going to have an auctioneer come in and deal with it. I noticed he has started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we had no out buildings. They would have been filled too I fear.

      Delete
  15. Dear Sam;

    Take your time! I am at Sissy's and we have been organizing for thirty years.

    You are doing great! Sissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to have someone keep at me. No mercy on my decluttering. Nice to hear from you, Sissy.

      Delete
  16. I hope you read your blog posts back and feel satisfied with your accomplishments. I think you're doing incredibly well.
    Both my Mum & Grandma were terrible hoarders and I wish they'd been prepared to let go of stuff before they died. Dealing with bereavement is bad enough without the pain of having to sort out a mountain of belongings. I must admit I got rid of almost everything. I have memories, I didn't need to be bogged down with things (i've got enough of my own!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't do that to my kids. It's going to be a hard job with my Mother-in-law at some point. Her house is packed. I don't feel like I've made progress or at least enough, but I know I have. I for fun prices out going to Greece this fall. Shockingly more affordable than I imagined. Maybe next fall.

      Delete
  17. Just wanted to thank you for the comment - it's so nice to know you are still out there, and I aim to keep you happy with fun outfits and Mom-Day Adventures, Sam! <3

    Glad to hear you are doing well, and clearing out some of the clutter. My mom has been in this mode too (and my dad died 26 years ago!), of clearing out everything she doesn't love in her house. We openly discuss that this will be easier for me/my brother if she gets ill or dies, or if she needs to move into a home in the next 10+ years. It's hard to think of, but realistically, so much easier in the long run.

    Big hugs to you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel my life might mirror your mom's. In 26 years I'll be 83, so unless my time comes earlier than my parents, expect I'll still be living my life as a widow. I hope I've pared things down in the coming years to only what's needed and loved.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.