Saturday, July 22, 2023

Lists of Lists and More Life Changes

   

DD1'S new fence with 
grandpup inspecting.

  It's been a crazy work week and lots of news and change on the personal front. Work is just what work will be for a while. I'm trying harder to hold to my schedule, though had to work several hours on Friday when it was supposed to be my day off and participated in a 90 minute meeting. I was glad though in the end as a couple huge missteps were likely avoided because of my speaking up on an issue. We also found a funding issue that was holding up opening our new fiscal year. I guess the personal changes, though hard, are good.

     DS went back to California. He has two jobs, one short duration followed by one several months that are not dependent on the various strikes in his industry. Fingers crossed things will be settled by the time the long project wraps up, and his regular rotation resumes. This came up quick, and was sad for DD2 who wasn't really tracking how quickly he might have to head back home should opportunity present itself. He's been covering his expenses from saved funds and the little side efforts working for his cousin. I'll miss him a lot, and he hopes to come home for Christmas. 

     DD2 has her own stuff though. I may have not mentioned she's going to go to Norway for a few weeks. The first part is staying with family and last five days staying in a young adult youth hostel that has options for organized activities. She'll head back, and here's the big change, will move into an apartment with a friend. Her job starts August 28. 

    It'll be sad of course to have an empty house, but these changes are right, positive, and good for her. She's going to be living right on my route to the office, and only 35 minutes or so from my house. She'll have an easy drive to her job and can more smoothly ease into full adulting, while knowing I and her sister are a close safety net away. Financially it's probably not the best, but  we seem to sometimes feed each others grief, and she needs to be young, not feel tied to me. They applied and got the apartment with no cosigner's needed, so that too is a positive in securing her future options dependent on credit scores. She has to make lists- packing lists for both the trip and her move.

     DD1 finally has her fence. Surprisingly, the yard looks even larger even though enclosed. It's been nice for grandpup to be able to chase balls, get outside whenever he wants, without her having to either go with or tether, and not be worried about him leaving the yard. Yes, he needs more training, but the space will make that easier too. I'm just so happy and proud of her making her place her own oasis.

First watermelon sighting.

First tomato. 
     Her garden is going like crazy. Lots of lessons learned for next year, but for her first attempt, she gets a solid B+! You can see some of the raised beds above. We've enjoyed cooking and eating fresh items like zucchini, snap peas, and cucumbers. I made zucchini fritters one night. So good! She and I are both making meal planning lists to use or store her good stuff. All three of us have looked up recipes. 
These were delicious! 
     My purging, then organizing continues. It will be a job that goes well into fall. Who am I kidding, through next year and still likely not done. But, through the chaos there's tiny glimpses of creating the calm I need. Of course I have lists going on about what needs to be done by when, my budget for the projects, items still to get donated or to the recycling center. Lists are either helping me manage or consuming my life. It took a while for them to pick up the dumpster so I added a few things during the week as I could that weren't salvageable. We've all determined becoming a minimalist, and by that I mean just stuff that we need or truly want and use, is the direction we're aiming for. No secure date on patio redo or bathroom yet, so I keep waiting. 

     I've now been a widow for six months. How is this life mine? I don't know when I'll ever truly feel a sense of normal. I still just feel like I was cheated out of what we'd worked and saved so hard for, easing into our later years, and watching our family grow together. Now, I'm focusing those hard earned efforts to my kids, while trying to simplify my day to day so I'm not a burden as I grow older. 

24 comments:

  1. As hard as it may be in the moment, I think you're right to have the approach that the kids going back to CA (your son) & your daughter getting her apartment are good for them in the long run. Being independent is important, even if there are hard moments around that, as a young adult.

    You are doing great with your progress on the house. There's so much that I'm sure it feels insurmountable to process, but small steps will get you where you need to be in the end.

    And, I think your feelings about being cheated out of a shared future are perfectly reasonable. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The week has been challenging, but we're all doing what we can to move forward. I'm excited for her. My texts with my son were positive. I think he's happy to have a bit of his normal back.

      Delete
  2. Sam,

    Your feelings about feeling cheated out of what you and your dh worked so hard for are completely understandable and warranted here. Please know that we are always here to listen. Hugs to you, my friend.

    Your daughters garden and fence are beautiful! And how nice to have fresh produce from it to consume. The fritters sound delicious.

    How excited for your daughter to be moving into an apartment.

    I hope your son is able to come back for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's learned a lot and next year will have better gardening success. We've been enjoying her veggies. I get myself nauseous with grief and longing for what won't ever be, but suspect others in my place know the same.

      Delete
  3. I know you miss your son, but I am glad he has found some work without too hard of a financial hit. He was lucky to have a soft spot to land during this part of the strike and you were so lucky to have him there.
    I am impressed that you are encouraging your daughters to move forward with their life while things are still so raw for you.
    Wishing you much peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids will always have that soft spot. Life can throw curve balls with no notice. I don't want my kids to defer their life decisions any longer than they already have had to.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe it's been 6 months since you lost your lovely husband, Sam. You're doing so well and I'm glad your family are always there for you.
    I'm very impressed with the watermelon!
    I love this courgette recipe: https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/kolokithokeftedes-fried-zucchini-balls-or-courgette/#:~:text=Traditional%20Greek%20Kolokithokeftedes%20is%20a,the%20most%20flavorful%20textures%20possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe looks terrific. It's been a challenge and seems like yesterday that he was here. If I think too long, shock kicks in again.

      Delete
  5. Sorry the two kids are moving, but happy both have successful lives and getting many opportunities. Change can be very hard. The yard and garden looks nice.
    The normal you knew won't ever be - it will be something new. It takes a long time to get used to that - if ever. It is just what happens, sadly.
    I think you are doing a really good job - just keep trudging away at things. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know life won't be the same. I can't help wishing though. I don't feel successful at anything but I keep trying. Others have really stepped up, and some people have really shown how little our lives seem to be part of theirs. His family has surprised me the most. They talked a good story 6 months ago, but really haven't offered anything to support me.

      Delete
  6. You were so fortunate to have all your children home as a support. I understand feeling cheated of a future with your husband. Now that your two children are going on to lives full of promise, i am sure they will be there when you need them. I know their futures have always been important to you, so you can now see them moving forward with purpose. I know that helps you not feel so lonely without them home with you. I am excited for the patio and bathroom progress. I love your daughter's fence--good for the garden and dog. So, now she is a seasoned gardener. I think you are doing well on your unwanted journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's learning. Next year will be even better.

      Delete
  7. Hopefully in time the new normal feels normal enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's lovely news for both your son and your youngest. I think they need to be young and savour their independence, although of course it's hard on you. Still, you are doing amazing with everything you have on your plate! You may not feel like it but you truly are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel less than amazing- limp in fact. But, I get up each day.

      Delete
  9. Your daughters back yard looks nice. I'm sure she's happy getting the fence. The garden produce looks good too. It's nice to have fresh herbs and veggies in the back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your daughter’s garden looks great. I’ve neglected my hanging baskets but we have tomatoes and sunflowers growing in the back yard. Exciting news for your son and other daughter. My son is exploring moving out and as much as I selfishly hate the thought of it, I was out on my own at his age. My daughter can’t wait to get back to having her own space at college. I’m happy that they both are so eager to get themselves out in the world but honestly sad at the thought of an empty nest. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need them to have their lives, but it's still hard. I understand completely your thoughts.

      Delete
  11. Sometimes lists can be helpful, other times a hindrance. I tossed out my long list of summer to dos, and now just add one task at a time. It's good for your kids to be moving their lives forward. Hopefully your son will be able to visit you and your daughters more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lists just help control mind chaos. Sometimes they show progress too.

      Delete
  12. Zucchini fritters are so good. I haven't had them for years. I think lists are helpful on the whole. In some ways they can be so settling and calming, even though they also mean more work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear you - and I really value your honesty on life “ after”. Your husband died two months before mine ,too young and so sudden, my guy was a little older but assaulted by an aggressive cancer that killed him in 15 months . So we knew what was coming. We have emailed privately - and those emails feel like both a lifeline and a conversation- and I know that there are other women here who have experienced the bitter, all consuming pain that is the death of your life partner .
    When I read your blog I find myself nodding. What you say makes so much sense , it resonates. Life has taken us ( and others) to a place we never never to be , and no matter what happens in the rest of our lives, we will “always”
    be here - a photo that you want to share , or a movie that I was dragged too and wept through as all I could think was that Tony would love this .
    Extended family and friends da can surprise us with reactions - and I sense a real fatigue from some who want me to talk about something other than Tony, when he is all that I want to talk about .

    This life is not easy , is it ? But everyone who reads your blog loves you and wants to help anyway that they can, even from an ocean away
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.