Wednesday, July 1, 2015

85 Minutes Later


Two perfectly lovely customer service agents helped salvage a day of our precious vacation in the fall. The bad news; Sun Country has cancelled their midweek 6:30 a.m. flight from Minneapolis to Washington. This is a permanent switch to their schedule, and not likely to come back.  They switched us to a 5:30 p.m. flight, which was now the only one on that airline, and nearly 12 hours difference.  I love DC at night, don't get me wrong. The lit monuments are pretty darn cool, but arriving to our hotel after 9:00 is not my idea of a vacation day.  Through good stick to it-ness, I persevered 85 minutes on the phone with Orbitz and Sun Country, and was able to rebook outbound for a one stop flight on another airline, arriving at 12:00. 

That will give us  about 90 minutes less time on Wednesday, but we can eat a good breakfast in the airport on the lay over, and skip lunch, making up time. I'm not fond of cost or quality of airport food so I'll pack some PB and J, granola bars, and some fruit and we should be good to go once we land in DC, and then have an early dinner some where out and about.  Here is the kicker though.  Our flight now leaves at 5:19 a.m.  This means out the door by 3:30.  I know I am insane, but I would rather nap on the plane, instead of losing a day of our abbreviated week vacation. We will be packed and ready the night before, just a backpack for each of us, and probably a small drawstring pack for DD and I, and the camera bag for DH. We can print boarding passes the night before.  It can get crazy on those early morning flights, but I think we are even earlier than the red eye passengers, so should whip through security.  One more little piece of good news; we will get a credit
 after all things done of $41. 

I was quite annoyed when the message came up about the flight change, but if that is my biggest first world problem of the week, I am a fortunate person. I'm still working on a July get away-narrowed done to something west of the metro.  Living the dream in Minnesota.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for persevering and salvaging it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I learned you can get a lot done while on hold.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.