Friday, July 3, 2015

Wander Cat


A little shop I just love is located next to the wine bar we have a wine club membership.  The wine bar and shop are in a quaint little river village just up the rural back roads from my home community. This cute shop is owned by a couple of women who repurpose old furniture, frames, and other household or industrial good into vintage or retro looking new items, in kind of a shabby chic-but less shabby, and not in a trying to be chic way. Clear as mud in my description. Eye Candy Refined, as the shop is called, have taken on a few other upcyclers and now are opening a second shop  in my town.  As I am trying to declutter and do a little up cycling of my own, I have not bought from them yet, but wanting to support a new local business, and one owned by women, I am delighted to share their name. I am still watching their Facebook page for those outdoor items I am seeking. I am including their Facebook Link just in case you are in the St Croix River Valley area, or just want a good snoop.

They are set to open later this month, and I was curious as to the project progression of the new store.  With 30 minutes between DD being at a violin lesson and soccer practice driving, I wandered a few blocks from the arts center and strolled down town to look in the new shop window last evening. They look to be busy installing new lights, and putting up some shelving, but not much more yet.  It will be a terrific space. It had previously been a gourmet chocolate shop and desert caterer and my friend J's Scandinavian shop.  I will have a different post about J and her mom J, terrific women who have kept the Norwegian-Swedish-all Scandinavian Minnesota heritage alive and well in pop culture in their art and business.

I need to start by saying, the downtown area is pretty quiet, and other than a few bars and restaurants, it is not the hustling and bustling river side downtown it should be.  I am amazed at how some of the businesses that have been around for  decades can keep their doors open with so little traffic.  The Only thing open was a little boutique, and it did have some shoppers.  Small stock, but the clothes, shoes, and bag were  cute and trendy, but out of my age and personal taste, but I think my daughters would like.  They were a bit pricey, but not any more than a big chain store would have charged for similar items.  I hope they make it.It is not like the downtown is dying, but more that is it on perpetual life support and has been like that as long as I can remember.  I wouldn't want it to be like some river town communities that are so packed on summer evenings and weekends that locals can't even get around, but regular signs of thriving community life would be good. 

Next door to the new Eye Candy is a toy store that has been around at least twenty years.  For over 15 years the owner had a golden retriever named Cassie that hung out in the store with her. On nice days, they always keep the store door open, and Cassie would wander in and out, never leaving the general vicinity. Every child new her name. Sadly she passed away. I buy from this store frequently when I have children's gifts to purchase. They carry different types of toys than what can be found at Target and the thought of entering a Toys R Us, makes me cringe. They have old toys we grew up with, art supplies, and well made, non electronic toys, no batteries or plugs required. 

Peering through the window of the up cycle shop, I met a new friend. He was all black, with those perfectly shiny green eyes that people either love or fear about black cats. This guy was very friendly, but no collar, and no people around. He was too gorgeous to be a stray.  I sat on a sidewalk bench and gave  him a good pet, knowing I would need to have a Benedryl later.  He was so sweet and snugly, rubbing up against my legs. As I stood up, assuming her probably lived in one of the apartments above the shop and someone would be coming down to get him, he stretched with intent to go where I was heading.  I walked in front of the toy store and did a window shop.  This little guy might have taken Cassie's place, because he wanted in that store.  I snapped another picture of him, and I was waiting for him to try and squeeze into through the mail slot.

I wandered down to the boutique and he stopped following me. I had about a five minute look before I headed back to the art center. I wanted to touch base with DD's teacher. Black cat was no where to be seen so I assumed his owner came and brought him back inside. I would have liked to have gotten one more snuggle. See, I am in my heart a cat person. Darn nature prevents me from being the cat parent I would like to be. Don't tell pup that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.