Monday, July 20, 2015

Minimalism: The Must List


While I know I would be an utter failure at total minimalism, I am quite impressed with the efforts others have done at downsizing their possessions, homes, and lifestyle in order to gain more freedom of time, flexibility, and peace of mind. I am exploring some of the  steps to becoming a minimalist.  The Minimalists bloggers Josh and Ryan have a strategy that would take 21 days to redo a lifetime of  consumerism.  I can buy into some of it, particularly day 1 and creating a Must List.  A must list , as the writers say, puts concrete validation to the lists of shoulds humans have in their head.  I should walk more.  No, I must walk more if I am to keep my knees healthy, and have more energy in my overall day.  I should spend less time watching show after show on Netflx.  No, I must watch fewer hours of Netflix and any other video or television device, if I am to have enough time in a day to accomplish things that will give me greater satisfaction.   So here is my Must List. I have broke down into areas of concentration for more focus.These are all highly doable.

Health
1.  Must walk pup every morning before going to work
2.  Must pack lunch that includes fruit and vegetable daily
3.  Must do core and strengthening exercises 4 days per week
4.   Must fill and drink my water bottle twice at work (this is an easy one) and drink equivalent amount of water at home (not an easy one)

Organization
 5.  Must tackle part or all of a room a night for decluttering
6.  Must stay on top of daily household tasks-dishes, laundry, bathroom
Time Management
7.  Must limit TV/Netflix/YouTube (unless for research) to not more than 2 hours per day (this is probably still excessive)
8.  Must read 3 times per week for fun

Money Management
9.  Must set up E-Bay and  Pay-Pal account (why not try and make some money when I declutter)

Social Connectedness
 10. Must meet a friend at least one time per week
 11. Must schedule planned extended family time on both sides of family monthly





Advancing my skills/growth
 12. Must blog at least 4 times per week
 13.  Must continue the Writers Closet monthly short story
 14.  Must research and work on my book 10 hours minimally per week 
 15.  Must keep building my business brand (new venture) and web platform

Ah, ha.  I snuck something new in there.  I have been working on a new side project-a new venture with a few family, friends and former colleagues, that is so new in start-up, we can't even call it infancy stage. The goal is to launch by my 50th birthday the end of November. The thought of doing this would not have even been possible had I not made the job change 5 months ago. While slow to build, it is exactly the kind of small enterprise that will fit in well with a focus on simplicity, and all the categories above. I'm a little too full of teasers right now, so will say no more until it is ready to go. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm super, super, super interested in the ebay. Please post about how that goes. I'm on the fence about trying to sell and would love to see how it goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. I know I must have stuff other people would treasure. I keep thinking of my neighbors $10 chicken clock she sold for $125.

      Delete
  2. All those "musts" immediately make me want to rebel! I fare better with an "I'll try" kind of approach. Good luck with your goals, and your new project! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably more accurate to say "try' but I believe they're going for the mindshift thing. Ask me how I do with shedding my baggage in a month. I hope I don't pick up morr. LOL

      Delete
  3. Ooh... an 'end of November' birthday! I thought I recognised a fellow Sagittarian!! My birthday is the 29th - when's yours? Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is the 25th so usually around American Thanksgiving. Your husbands not a Leo by any chance?

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.