Saturday, August 1, 2015

What to GiveThose Who Have Everything

I've recently linked in with the 40+ blogger crowd. There are days when I feel like writing a post, but the ideas just aren't flowing and I am sure the post reads as such.  Well now I have a little tool in my Twitter feed to help me out through @Post40bloggers and the suggested blog themes. Here is a good one.  Blog about your favorite childhood game.  Memories just seeped into my head about marathon Monopoly games on a rainy afternoon, day's long games of Risk spread out over Christmas vacation, and not to forget Sorry and Trouble with the pop o'matic hopper. Other suggestions are not quite my style, nor my blogs style like write a fairy tale, or look in the mirror and blog about your face. 

This one, what would you give as a gift to the person who has everything, was a good one for me.  Even those folks who are not trying to declutter, repelling consumerism, and striving for voluntary minimalism, probably admit past the age of 35 or so, there really is very little they need or want in terms of trinkets and doo dads. We have ten gift giving events this month, three of them to people who want for nothing. Of course gift cards to practical places like grocery stores and  one-stop shops like Target and Walmart can always be put to use, they lack originality. Depending on who the person is, simple and inexpensive are much better than expensive and unoriginal.  If it works, make them experiential.

For alcohol consumers, fun and special beer, wine and spirits are a good choice. Go a step further and look in the wine aisle for something connected to that person, and make sure to mention it in the card. There are some fun ones related to sisters, brothers, best friends, dieting girls and guys, funny names that you can match to inside jokes. I bought a bottle of wine called Blue Jeans' as a housewarming for a friend that bought a hobby farm. I signed and dated the bottle. My beer loving brother in law is getting a 6 pack of assorted craftsman beers in sampling sizes for his August birthday along with some sports themed cocktail napkins picked up throughout the year. He hosts pool nights and I think it will be a hit-particularly the rootbeer beer. 











Twice I got a collection of open ended greeting cards in a nice organized box.  Not only did the cards themselves come in handy, I had an organized storage place to keep other cards I picked up for someone when the mood struck me, but often in the past, misplaced before the event. The gift giver knew this about me. I have about four Class of 2009 graduation cards that turned up years too late.  I also love getting nice writing paper and envelopes, and give both as gifts. Throw in a book of stamps for more appreciation. 

Theme baskets or boxes like movie night with popcorn, soda, candy, and a favorite classic movie can be special and a value. A former coworker was raving over the copy of Shirley Valentine her sister found her, and a bunch of us went to her house and watched it with her, and she celebrated her birthday all over again that year. For the bikers or runners, extra cushy socks, a water bottle, cotton face towels, and a couple energy bars would be appreciated.  My niece, an avid runner, is constantly losing water bottles and towels, and wears through socks quickly.

I've read jokes about giving gifts of food, but I think sometimes that is the perfect way to go. Good coffee and cookies to go along with them, 1/2 dozen really decadent handmade chocolates, a collection of ice cream bar toppings, or other special treat combination really do make gifts that are appreciated when chosen for that persons likes and interests. I personally feel no self guilt gnashing on a box of chocolate caramels when someone so thoughtfully picked out my favorites. Those of you who garden or if you can veggies and fruit, have a plethora of gifts anyone should adore at your finger tips. If not, feel free to gift me.

Most gift giving requires some thought. Some times inspiration is just not there, and a gift card is a perfectly fine substitute.  But when I can raise my game, I feel like a gave a little bit more in the gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.