Friday, April 10, 2020

New Office Mates

     

     I have the worst co-worker imaginable. He decides right when you need to have undivided attention on a call or in a meeting, that his presence needs to be known. He takes over the staff lounge from time to time, and eats with that loud chewing that can be so annoying when you spend your lunch times together. One of my coworkers has three new office mates, two of which need periodic check-ins and oversight, and he alternates with the other senior staff, who is the point person for the day. Another colleagues office mate decides to type random jibberish, and if she doesn't catch-it, it comes through in e-mails. I'm off course, talking about the new work from home setting. Barking dogs, cats that walk across key boards, children, other adults also working from home are many of our new office mates. Pup is not happy having his daily space invaded, plus, the morning walks the neighbors are doing that disrupt his morning staring out the back patio door to the park, causes all kinds of fits for him.


     I need to start by saying I am blessed to be able to keep working, keep earning, my full paycheck. I carry the health insurance so that means no disruption in our coverage, which gives huge peace of mind. I don't have young children, as several of my co-workers do. It is the norm for a child to come sit next to the parent on a conference call. We're getting creative as a work force. The man above, he and his wife set their 5 and 9 year old up each morning with a sort of plan, and they alternate who then is the parent of support for each child, the five year old needing more adult time than the 9 year old. It means both are extending their work day into the evening to try and get their jobs done.

     We are challenged with internet access and bandwidth from time to time. We need to change our service provider. DH is good at finding deal, but by bundling our internet with direct TV, I think we have the lowest quality service. Until then though, DD2 and I have had to stagger some of our work. I log off the internet completely when she has live classes or her Zoom voice lessons. Privacy is a concern, such as her voice lesson. On Tuesday, first I took pup for a walk then we sat outside to do a little off line work. As I needed privacy for a highly confidential call, I took it sitting in the driveway in my car yesterday because both DH and DD2 were home. It's not that they would listen in, or care about the topic, but its about workplace fidelity. Same with handling confidential information. I need to make sure I don't leave anything sitting out, or a screen open on my computer.

     While we've been given new tools to support the remote work, I personally am struggling some days with the technology, and sharing files, electronic signatures, and shared access. I can read directions, but sometimes until I see how someone is using something, it takes a bit to click in my brain. I juggle between two cell phones, two computers, a jerry rigged second screen, and moving work spaces depending on the activity. But, work is getting done. I'm still doing my job and so are those I work with. DD2 and I usually have lunch together, and that has been nice. I've had some tense situations and a few really bad work days. Snuggles with my dog, and a real break where I take him for a walk mid-day is appreciated. I've taken advantage of the warm sunny days and moved my laptop outside, soaking in a little free vitamin D-I don't have that in the office.

     How has work changed for you? Are you furloughed right now or reduced hours? For those with students in your home, are you juggling school work between kids, or between your child and your work needs? Alternatively, what is working well for you?

18 comments:

  1. Both my husband & I are WFH, full time. He is working more than ever, as he is responsible for things related to COVID (not in health care, but more about understanding impact to a multibillion $ business). I'm working less, by design. He is working towards a major promotion, and I was just recently promoted & I'm able to flex a bit more than he can right now.

    I've declined all non-necessary meetings, prioritized only the top items each day on my to do list, and am delegating more to members of my team (where possible.) My team has been hit hard with caring for small children (many since early February in Asia), so we are all just doing the best we can, where possible.

    I'm doing 90% of the childcare work. It's less "childcare", more about ensuring people are on task, on calls, eating a healthy lunch, getting some exercise, etc. The child with ADHD needs more time & attention than the other one... perhaps by about 3x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're family is at the prime point in work-life, that we were 15 years ago or so. It is hard to slow down when the opportunities you might have may not be there just a few years later. (age bias is real!!)DH and I both went up the career chain the fastest in our early to mid forties, and then sort of stalled. I then intentionally took myself out of that pressure keg, though the stress I have now is just as high, but it is situational. Even though you're not needing to actually care for young children, keep teens focused is an absolutely huge task.

      Delete
  2. I’m furloughed. Yesterday, Pennsylvania closed schools for the year but we are continuing with online learning which has been ok for the most part. My kids are older and independent and we are lucky to have chrome books for each of them provided by the school. We also have a desktop computer, their phones and bought a WiFi extender. My son is a senior and this has been so depressing for us. Of course we understand and agree with the precautions but it’s sad. Graduation has been pushed back to June 26 with a last chance makeup day on July 31. Sadly, I have friends who work in healthcare that believe we won’t be able to have it at all. My husband is still working full time outside of the house so that has helped keep some small sense of normalcy to our days. He is deemed essential but is fairly safe in his job so we don’t worry too much about him going to work. He has also become our designated shopper. I did two huge stock up trips and since then he has been getting perishables and requests to fill in any needs/wants. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for your son. My kids had good senior years, with friends, and fo rmy daughter, only going half days since she was a part time college student that ended a good month before the rest. She was able to work a lot of hours and save money towards college. I worry kids are missing that opportunity now as well. My nephew graduates college this spring-again, not sure what the job market might look like, but I hope opportunities to celebrate are available, even if delayed.

      Delete
  3. I am not working or have young children unless you count working to appease the 180 lb being across the room from me. I just wave (down motion) frantically when I need his tv program volume lowered so I can hear a doctor or insurance company.

    It sounds like getting all this to work for you is a job unto itself on top of the job you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has actually worked better than I could imagine, but the spotty internet is a pain in the but. My daughter has been great. She is working hard, and taking her academics very seriously.

      Delete
  4. Ha! Ha! What rude office coworkers you have. I used to sub in a small animal care class at the high school and the room had a live in cat there. Anytime we printed something on the printer, he was right there to fight with the paper as it came out. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could control the barking, he'd be a terrific break buddy. I love the cats tails across the computer screen with a couple of my real coworkers, right across the key board.

      Delete
  5. We've worked from home for some time, usually when hubby conference calls I take Buddy to the Bedroom and there we stay until it's over so he doesn't bark at things in the street. If I have to be away we place a large piece of cardboard over the glass on the inside of the front door so he can't see and bark at people walking in the street. You'd be surprised how well doing that one thing works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortunately, It is a large patio door, fully open tot he back yard, which aligns tot he the park. Even if we blocked to his eye level on the ground floor, he likes to sit at the top of the stair landing, where he would see above that. He's just a pain in the but, pure and simple.

      Delete
  6. Your coworkers sound like mine...
    WA closed schools for the year. 4/27 is the first roll out day of mandatory, graded work. We really don't have, nor can get the bandwidth necessary for several people at once to be able to be working online. DD's and DS' online college courses take priority, so have requested paper packets from the h.s. to the greatest extent possible. H.S. grades will be pass/fail. Electives (art, music, CTE) will be waived. I gave the h.s. freshman a leg up on his English by watching "Romeo and Juliet" with him. Now he just has to work through the reading--I told him he could read it with the movie if he got in a jam--love Shakespeare though I do, I don't see this kid lending me his ears to my lecturing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone commented on seeing a bunch of parked cars in library parking lots. I might do that just for a change of scenery! We too have dictated school work comes first. I can always do a call, and work off line if I had to because there are call options with webex and we have a conference call line.

      Delete
  7. I was laughing all the way through the first paragraph, as I knew you were talking about your house mates. It is amazing anyone gets anything done and no one is in jail. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing this will be our norm the rest of April, but then she is officially done. For her finals, we'll need to make sure she has absolute good bandwidth, so might just say she is going to do those at her sisters, and disinfect the heck out of everything.

      Delete
  8. Since I work from home FT anyway, it's been no change for me. I do wonder how my coworkers with young children are managing it. Two of my coworkers are married to each other and have a 1 year old baby. I'm sure they must take turns. I'm lucky in that I have my own office room in our new house, so I can shut the door for privacy, when I'm on a call or a web meeting. DH knows if my door is shut that means I'm on a call and do not disturb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents have been very creative, and I haven't noticed any work issues by the ones in my company, though I don't supervise anyone with young children. I do have ome common teams, and they are figuring it out.

      Delete
  9. Oh I feel for you all trying to get work done, share wifi and cope with young children. I'm not having to do any of that so I take my hat off to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my daughter who actually can keep the pup busy, and get other things done. I have extra hands not like those with small children.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.