Saturday, October 24, 2020

Days of Our Socially Distanced Lives- V 8

      Did I type 8? I started this summary as a new pattern for fall, generally hoping it would count down the days to more flexibility with where I work, who my family is able to  see, and places we may be able to go. Now that  we are well into cold weather in my part of the world and sadly  the corner that was thought to be about to be turned has just led to increased cases and hospitals that might have space capacity, may not have the personnel to handle the volume of patients needing hospitalization, these posts will go on for a while. 

Friday, October 23

     As most mornings, I was up about 5:30, though quite tired from  not sleeping well, tossing and turning over the stuff of life right now. I used the last little bit of hazelnut coffee, mixed with a cheapo store brand, but heck it was caffeine and I needed some. Pup was up to of course and needed to go out, and be fed so that is what we did before I settled down with my cup and did my Friday blog post. 

     I was showered and dressed by 7:30 to log in and start my work day. I hadn't shared yet that my chair was actually delivered on Thursday. DH had laid down earlier in the day, and fell asleep for three hours. He was wide awake and styae dup and put the chair together for me. I am almost kicking myself for not having done this seven months ago. Working from a chair that is designed to be worked from, made a huge difference in my comfort level. And to Linda, yes, it is brown, but a very dark brown and I love it. It doesn't exactly fit under the desk space, but I'll roll over to a corner when not in use. DD1 stopped over after she had been to the gym to pick up her coat. It was a perfect fit, even over a very bulky flannel shirt/jacket. (I told you the girls like them as their fall jackets)

The chair is wider than the opening for a chair,
but it works well  for working. 

Part of the corner where I am working, with my kids
 and nods to travel and future (more) travel dreams.

Despite the snow, it is still harvest season and
I love my clay pumpkins on my mantel

     My 8:00 meeting ended early so I made myself some instant oatmeal and started chipping away at some tail ends of a couple projects and items on my to do list. One was to do a 360 review for one of my team that  is in an emergent leadership  institute. I was more than happy to  support her in growing her skills. I had actually recommended two of my team for the program, moved to a on-line version, and one of the two were accepted. I had a virtual coffee break with other managers-sort of a network, off HR listening session, which was nice. We haven't had one for a few months and after the change to officially be Work from Home through June, nice to bounce off challenges and get new perspectives for others. 

     I was happy to get a return call from a final reference check for the new team member we are hoping to hire soon. I completed all the hiring paperwork, and forwarded to HR. I took a break for some ramen noodles, cottage cheese and applesauce, took pup out and got back to work.  I had  successful afternoon with not too many interruptions and logged out by 5:15. I got Pup's needs met and made supper-burritos, or bowls, and I and emine a big salad with rice,  taco meat, beans, cheese and salsa with  broken tortilla chips over the top. So yummy!  DH and i watched a movie together-yes, a Hallmark one, Christmas at the Plaza, then I cleaned up the kitchen a bit and was in bed by 10:00. 

Saturday, October 24

I needed fuel for getting stuff done. My SIL's
plum and apple jam on wheat toast.

     Having a really good night's sleep, I was up at 6:00 to let the dog out and have coffee. I worked on this post and read a few others, and returned comments. Saturday means no official work, but I turned my attention to laundry (not that much with just two of us) but other  needs around the house. The house looked 1/2 way decent by the time I spent a  few minutes dealing with the plants. I decided to start a few more clippings, hoping to propagate a few more houseplants over the winter. I don't know if it will work, or if they'll ever get out of the jars of water, but it's more green to put downstairs in my space for work. Remember I know nothing about plants, so not sure if I did any of this right. If I am out and about and see some low cost plants I may splurge as I want more green downstairs. 

Three, fingers crossed, plants started. 

     I folded some laundry, went through some mail, and pup let me know it was time for a cold wet walk. We were n no hurry so I let him do his best exploring and sniffing, checking out all the excitement of the park, the pond, and the neighborhood. I was dry and warm, thanks to these ugly, but practical Totes boots, now on their third winter. I still need Wellies-have been on my list forever to get myself a pair. 

The mix of fall and winter on the walking path.

My perhaps too warm boots, but my feet stayed dry.

The icy pond.

The back of our yard taken from the park. 

     I got a load of towels switched to the dryer and through the kitchen towels and rags in on hot, with Oxyclean, then opened a package I received, something  for Christmas so won't say more. I emptied the box from the just delivered part of the Kohls order that was only available for delivery, DH's jeans and the towels,  broke down the box from the chair, and took both recycle and garbage taken out. After getting the lot put away, I decided to make the trek to Kohls, and added a stop  at Cub to just get some of the add specials, mainly DH's favorite frozen pizza to have on hand. In my quest to support local businesses and feeling like I wanted to have somewhat of a social night, I popped into the brewery and bought a 4 Crowler pack of the new hard seltzer, cranberry lime. They also had some of their merchandise 40% off and I got a henley shirt for DH for Christmas. We won't give much for gifts to each other, but he likes this style and we supported the business a bit more.Back home,it was near mid-afternoon and I was hungry. Not the best lunch, but  I stopped for a pizza pocket. 

      After lunch, I tackled the peppers I bought last week and made some homemade jalapeno poppers. I pre-cooked the pepper a bit as I wasn't sure if I tried doing completely raw with the cream cheese it would just be an oozing mess. I think they turned out well. I'll freeze half for future enjoyment, but we'll have a few tonight and some tomorrow during football. Admittedly, they are more my favorites than DH's who isn't as much a fan of spicy. 

The bread crumbs didn't stick the best, but these are so tasty.

     Supper is just going to be canned soup, and to go with a couple loaves of small quick bread with garlic, herbs and cheddar-sort of like the  Red Lobster Cheddar bay biscuits, but in a bread form. With the Big 10 deciding to throw caution to the wind and resume the football season, the evening plans will be to  watch the Minnesota Gopher game. While it is on, I think I'll take my embroidery project out again as I haven't done  a thing since vacation week.I'm going to pour myself a seltzer that I've resisted since I brought it home. That will be about it for the day, so I'll end here. 

13 comments:

  1. That IS a nice brown. WOW, you have ice already. I am still in sleeveless blouses and sandals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful it will all melt as we are in the 40's this week (by Tuesday) and back to 50's by end of the week. Halloween weather is 57 and sunny, so we should get a little fall back.

      Delete
  2. Can you believe only 2 months until Christmas? Of course, here it is still warm- in the low 80s. This is why most folks move to Florida LOL. I'm having a baking day today and am going to start making and freezing a few things. Last night I had a simple supper- tuna fish sandwich and cole slaw I made with red cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good tuna fish sandwich with lot's of celery and pepper! We are not sure where we might want to live for part of the year but have about 7 1/2 to research.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I can't even imagine that kind of weather. It's still hot here in Florida. Glad you like your new chair and it looks like you did everything right to start your plants. Enjoy the game today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one in the green glass ball jar was started months ago and is full of growth and new roots, but I'm fearful of transplant into dirt and losing my progress. I hope the others take off as well.

      Delete
  4. The hard seltzer sounds delicious - I'm a huge fan, and really like the tropical flavors.

    Last night we had steak & I made a chimichurri sauce to go with it, out of parsley from the garden. It was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a pineapple with something else, but I can't remember what. I'm not a big tropical drink fan, but those that are say the pineapple is their favorite. I really like the Ginger Lime, but this cranberry is my new fave. A crowler It doesn't quite quite come to two pints (26 ounce cans), but more than enough for my limit in an evening. I'll probably pick up more before Thanks giving as I'm not sure how long they will brew this flavor. Your steak sounds pretty delicious. I love a good chimchurri, but have never made it.

      Delete
  5. When I saw that photo of your windowsill I thought "oh that looks like snow out there" and then I looked at the next one. Crikey, I don't mind the snow but I don't like it starting this early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year my daughter had snow her homecoming weekend-first weekend in October, and it never really went away, but she is about 260 miles north of us. I think this will all go by the weekend, and hopefully we'll get a few November weeks of fall again. It's too bad about Trick or Treating as Halloween falls on a Saturday, and the weather is supposed to be fall perfect-57 and sunny.

      Delete
  6. WOW, snow already in your backyard... it's like Siberian weather really. Looks beautiful, but cold. A comfy chair is a must for work! Justin seems happy with his. Glad you found a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell if it is a good one, but it had good reviews and the price was good. We get teased by Mother Nature into having a beautiful fall and then she'll do this to us. Net weekend we are back to fall cool, but not cold. We should melt by mid week.

      Delete
  7. Snow already?! I don't envy you that!
    I rather like your Totes boots and your chair looks fab, I'm glad you're feeling the benefits of it already.
    I find growing plants to be a constant learning curve. The houseplant expert on a gardening programme I watch raves about her "Propagation Station" for her cuttings, the benefit is that they not only look good but work at the same time - Amazon have them! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.