Friday, October 23, 2020

Friday Whatever's

  


     Yet another week of 2020 has sped on by. News and no news, fits and temper tantrums, political malarkey, and  thinking about family and friends and how the heck  we will all come out of this year (and most likely next year) unscathed. To capture my recent thoughts, here's my W's for the week that was...interesting.

What's top of mind: We are now 12 days from presumably knowing if the Sh((^$!!t Show in Washington will be coming to an end. I'll be following a lot of House and Senate races just as closely. Really though, I'm trying to not let the presidential race, the Supreme Court hearings, and all the other politics not consume me, but oh how I hope to know the country is taking positive steps come November 4th.

Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years is on my mind. We are planning a Zoom call with DH's family to talk about and plan the holiday season. While just days on the calendar for many, in our families, there is so much emphasis on physical presence, we really need to manage expectations. While different in my family since my parents are no longer with us, my sisters and I are still making sure to coordinate and make sure everyone in the family feels welcome and included regardless of no big get togethers. 

Where I've been: Big outings in the last week were the minimalist farmers market, and the apple orchard/pumpkin patch. Interesting regional price difference to share. Pumpkins were $0.40 per pound at our local farm. I was watching a YouTube vlog where the mom and daughter (just like us) did the same thing  outside the Boston area. Pumpkins were $0.75 a pound! For you math geeks like me, that is 87.5% more expensive! For cuteness factor, I wouldn't say the  rural Boston Farm had anything more going on than our farm. Props to Minnesota farmers and sharing their places with all of us. I suppose it is supply and demand-we have many many places, all wonderful, to pick apples and choose your own pumpkin. Weigh in if you are from the east coast. 

Where I'm going: I honestly don't know if I will go anywhere other than walks with the dog for the next week. Wait-I do have something to pick up at Kohl's if my daughter can't for me, but that will be a quick stop to customer service and out. I have a hefty list of things that need done-isn't that always true with most of us, and admittedly, a nap or two this weekend. 

What I'm watching: I'll admit it. I've been back on the Hallmark Channel. I watched a sappy  movie on Sunday about a young couple who had a relative show up to claim  part of the inheritance of a B and B they had just refurbished, of course, weeks before their wedding. I guess this is one of a series of movies featuring this couple, originally two city slickers that ended up in the small town and stayed. A couple days later, I caught the tale end of a movie about a country  western aspiring singer, caught in between a song writer, and a  country star and of course her own dreams. It actually was a bit different than some, and not as simplistic. I guess starting Sunday, Christmas movies begin.  . 

What I'm reading: I perhaps could have included this in the Thrifty Thursday, at least in the Time section because it is not a resource savings, and probably not a money savings because we had long cancelled our subscription. DH answered the house phone a few weeks ago, expecting yet another political call. It was a survey taker, and after he answered a few questions, they offered him a free three year subscription to the St Paul Pioneer Press, Sunday and Thursday editions. Now I have been back in the habit the last few weeks reading the Sunday newspaper, with an actual physical newspaper. 

What I'm listening to:   For the last several years, in partnership with other organizations, we've had a national technical assistance contract to provide consultation on  improving equity and access to early childhood systems. We had a virtual meeting this week and in preparation, we were to listen to the first three podcasts to Oprah's Book Club  which discussed Isabel Wilkerson's book Caste: The Origins of Our Discontent. Well, I'm not stopping at the first three, and have the book on order from the library. It's been odd listening to the pod casts without reading the book, but I think I'm getting a pretty good  understanding of the contents and the layers and historical context for racism and classism, and how those constructs still are manifested today.

What I'm eating: I feel like we have been ravenous lately-colder weather perhaps? We had a huge Take and Bake Pizza on Sunday, and I was gladly eating the leftovers on Monday and Tuesday, and thought there was still  leftovers on Tuesday night. Lunch time comes on Wednesday, and I was going to finish it off. I think I've shared before, but I love leftover pizza for my lunch. Well, I was quite down in  the face to learn it was gone! DH had eaten it for breakfast Wednesday morning. Well, fair is fair-I did have it two days for lunch, but I don't think he appreciates leftover pizza the way I do. 

Who I'm paying attention to:  Elections and candidates aside, this is a tough one to  answer this week. No one has come top of mind in celebrity circles, and enough on politics. I guess I am paying attention to the people in my life.

What I'm planning:  We are planning a Zoom call with DH's family either Sunday or Tuesday night to talk about and plan the holiday season. I initiated it with DH's sister, and she sent out the e-mail after talking to their mom. We're in agreement that this year the get togethers will need to look different, but know this is not going to go over well with my mother-in-law. We will likely split the holidays up, and each of us have her over or bring  a meal to her house, but spread out. She has been attending  church, under the rules established,  and spending time with my BIL's family, whose kids go to school and are in sports and other youth activities. It will be sad to not be all together, especially with a new baby in the family, but  many families are spread out year to year all the time. 

     My life will be slower, yet again, due to the stupid snow and cold coming unseasonably early. A lot melted after the Tuesday dump and if the weather can normalize a bit, maybe we'll recapture some fall. The plows didn't even really come out for this one in our neighborhood, despite a good six inches on the ground. That gives me hope that maybe we'll get some more weather for  fall walks (without leaves on the trees), bon fires, and maybe a friendly drink or two with friends and family outside. Please share anything that's up in your life. 

14 comments:

  1. Hallmark Christmas movies start tonight! I am so excited, I absolutely adore them. I have the app and you can check off the ones you watch, get reminders for upcoming favorites and preview the new ones. I’m quite eager for Christmas and I don’t know why. We have no big plans and I’m not even doing much shopping this year but I’m ready for the tree and lights. However, it’s going to be 80* again here today with cool nights before tanking this weekend and my sinuses are killing me. I know it’s not COVID because unfortunately this happens like clockwork for me each year. No fever, just pressure and drainage. I’m off this weekend and my sons birthday is Sunday, but again no big plans. Maybe some takeout, few gifts and he wants pumpkin pie. Pumpkins are 2.99 at Aldi and .65/lb at our local pumpkin patch. I have it on good authority that they weren’t even grown there this year but rather trucked in. Not surprising, even though they’ve been around for decades they are probably closing down soon for good. The owner is getting older, kids don’t want to run it, probably all be houses in five years. I didn’t watch one second of the debate. I will be mailing my ballot today, filled out in blue ink. And hoping like you, for the $#¡+$#0vv to be over. JoAnn P.S. I really enjoy your W posts. They cover a lot of little things and are just so relatable to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I am already sucked into the movies. It's bloody October! I was sort of hoping the fall themes ones would last a while longer. I'll feel more settled about making holiday plans, even if they are simple, after we have our call with DH's family. I feel for the generational farms-it is a hard business, and if there isn't anyone to take over, what is there to do. I appreciate the feedback on these Friday posts. I think it helps get people dropping in a comment and we al can have a good virtual conversation.

      Delete
  2. Tommy let out a moan and Nooo, when I got excited about a movie. He said it was Hallmark and he was not going to watch those...lol. Well, neither do I want to. Maybe we will give in. We are decorating for Halloween a bit at a time and should be done this weekend. I have plans for lots of holiday things, all three holidays, even if it is mundane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH is a closet rom-com fan! We have seen him start watching a movie and getting completely absorbed. Our fun is guessing the plot twists-most of the time we are right.

      Delete
  3. You are always keeping busy one way or another. I hope it warms up a bit again for you. I've still just been glued to news lately as much as I despise it. I dread thinking about the holidays, it's sure not going to be the same this year. Have a great weekend Sam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess when I am still working 50 hours a week, we still have the little stuff of life, the days just fill. Add a good deal of mind wondering with pointless and predictable tV, and my day is filled. I looked 10 day sout, and I see some 40's in the future-maybe even hitting a 50 degree day!

      Delete
  4. "I guess I am paying attention to the people in my life."
    As it should be.....Screw politicians and celebrities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoken like a true friend! (As it should be!)

      Delete
  5. The Hallmark channel is a good one to take your mind off of things. That is great that your dh got the Sunday and Thursday editions of the St Paul Pioneer Press. Reading the Sunday paper is one of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movies on Hallmark, really are good mind wandering view. I've never strived for a Hallmark life but I sure like to escape and do what I can to give my family and friends the joy of the season.

      Delete
  6. I am enjoying your blog. Thank you! I came over from Out my window. So hoping better days are ahead for our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Kathy! I love having new folks join our little blogging community. So many of us read each others, and have developed some nice virtual friendships. So important right now. Kim is awesome!

      Delete
  7. I find that when I'm reading really sappy books (I'm not a big movie watcher), it's a clear sign that my brain needs a break from other stuff. It's a perfectly fine way to get in some distraction, during a crazy phase of life. I'm avoiding the news, social media & all things political. My vote was cast a few weeks ago, so now I'm just trying to avoid any drama between now & the election. It's been so good for my mental health & well being.

    Thanks for the podcast recommendation - sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding pod casts are nice ways to get in depth on a topic, while be able to get housework or other things done. I am going all out sappy for a while.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.