Wednesday, April 14, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry- Lazy Baking and a Little TJ Haul

      My lazy baking this weekend consisted of cutting up 6 apples that were getting too soft to taste good eaten fresh and using up a handful of blueberry's in some  Aldi baking mix (Bisquick) for muffin bread. Hardly stimulating pantry recipe content. 

     But if you are wondering about the  muffin bread-it's basically the biscuit recipe on the box with half the flour and adding as much sugar as you feel you'd like for the sweetness level you prefer. I used 1/3 cup  sugar to 1 1/4 cup flour, and probably about 1/3 cup of milk. Toss the blueberry's in and bake in two mini/small bread pans for 35  minutes, or in a muffin tin for 6 muffins, for probably 20-25 minutes. 

      My apples for the apple crisp were tossed with a couple tsps. of cinnamon and 1/3 cup of sugar, laid in a 6 by 8 glass pan, and topped with a crumble of 1/4 stick butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and probably 1/2 cup quick cook oats, and another sprinkle of cinnamon. I don't measure really, just form the crumble consistency. I baked mine at 350 for 45 minutes-apples still a bit firm-not mushy, how we like it. We've been nibbling on both the bread and crisp since Sunday



     I know all do not have Trader Joe’s around, but should you find one near you or you near it, it’s worth a fun explore. I seem to go in person only every two to three months, Saturday being my first venture in since mid January. My daughter's work schedule puts her near one generally at least once a month so she'll do requests and pick up for me. The two items above, their Jumbo Cinnamon rolls, which are began, and the Organic Vanilla Yogurt, which is not, are two favorites. Both, along with fruit, are now part of our Christmas morning tradition, well, in the  normal years, when this was plenty for something at home, but have to be at my mother-in-laws for Christmas Dinner. Now, as no one needs to get up early on Christmas morning, this might wain a bit as folks slip in, but the smell of the rolls baking with a big pot of coffee brewing, and me knowing my own family will be together at least for a bit, makes these rolls part of my little tradition. Of course we like them other times in the year as well, and I think these will part of maybe a Mother's Day brunch-not necessarily on Mother's Day.  I think both are around $2.99.

     A couple shelf stable items that find their way in my cart are the Chai Tea Latte mix and the almond granola. In fact, I bought two boxes of the granola on Saturday and DH has almost devoured one already. So many of the other brands, if I can even find in stores, are ridiculously expensive per ounce, and some do not taste half as nice as the TJ version. Pair the granola with vanilla yogurt-my preferred way to eat it. So good. The chai tea is loaded with sugar, so I consider it a treat, but compared to a $6 version in a coffee  shop, when this container for $4.99 will easily get 6-8 large mugs, it's worth the price. DD2 has one at school, I have one at home, and I will eventually keep one in the office as well. For those that see a TJ's on a road trip, these would be nice take home buys to try.




    I usually buy bruschetta, but didn't this time, but did buy some artichoke hearts in olive oil. At my daughters recommendation, I bought the peanut butter which is nothing more than peanuts. I plan to make another batch of the vegan PB, oatmeal, Chocolate Chip cookie dough for the freezer this weekend. Other favorite items we bought, or I wanted to buy this past week are:

  • Vegan Mac n Cheese-ignore the vegan part even-it's that delicious. This was a new buy for both DD1 and myself, and will be on the list now.
  • Palak Paneer-Heated up and eaten with naan bread, and I am in heaven. Is it authentic? Probably not, but I don't care. It has a good curry spice tot he spinach and the  paneer cheese is a nice texture. Sadly, they were wiped out as seems to happen a lot of the time so I must not be the only one digging on this product.
  • Mandarin Orange Chicken-My old standby to have in the freezer for nights I really do not want to cook. This feeds DH, DD2, and myself, with rice and steamed vegetables for 1/3 of the price of take out, and is no more work than ordering take out. 
  • Haloumi Cheese-I guess it is seasonal, but I bought the last two times I was there, and  it was no longer in stock. I really don't understand the seasonal part of it. Must be a supplier issue as it says, product of Greece. .Cypus-I double checked. 
     Of course these products or similar might be found other places, and I'd love to know if anyone has any other store brand favorites in  other national grocery store chains. I love trying new things and if we do plan a road trip this fall, I'd love to pop-in and have a look. I in know way have any affiliation to Trader Joe's. I just really like to shop there for fun items I don't find at Aldi or my local store. 

20 comments:

  1. Fried halloumi is delicious. Do you get the one made of sheep, goat or cow milk? I love the sheep milk variety. Since I cook from scratch our local Thyme Market works better for us than TJ. We do not purchase many premade/packaged items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the package and it is sheep's milk. Honestly, I'd love to be able to say I don't buy premade/packaged foods but the reality is my life and out food preferences are satisfied by allowing a little flexibility to help me with long work days, stress, and try and manage our overall food budget. I like these things as opposed to take out meals when I've had 10 hours of meeting sin a day, and just want an easy dinner. I try to avoid crap foods-but, no we eat a lot of that as well.

      Delete
  2. I don't have blueberries, but an abundance of blackberries in our freezer from the past summer's harvest. I was thinking of making a pie, but you now have me convinced I need to make a crisp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am more partial to crisp over pie in general as I feel like there is more fruit taste and I love the crumble on the top.

      Delete
  3. I love fried halloumi, so delicious! If you've never had it before try cookie butter from Trader Joe's and get the Speculous cookies to have with it. It's life changing lol! Of course not healthy at all but you have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try the cookie butter, and wasn't wowed, so it must be a taste thing. I believe Aldi has one too I hear people like.

      Delete
  4. Great save on the apples. We are buying more ready made products to mix things up. Takeout can be expensive here in Canada so even a couple bucks more on an at home product is still cheaper. Plus the easier the dish the more likely I can make it versus hubby as my energy is still lacking so I love "stick it in the oven" and make a salad to go with it kind of dishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The premade things are part of our overall diet, and not day in and out, so I am OK with the balance. I'm glad you are doing what works for your life right now.

      Delete
  5. I love halloumi but hate it fried! I'm amazed it says "product of Greece" as it's from Cyprus! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so wrong-and corrected above. It is Cprus. How do you eat it-just cubed, or roasted, or cold? I love it grilled-which might be fired but is in a griddle pan.

      Delete
  6. I have only been in a Traders Joes a couple of times and I think they are uber expensive, but if you can get items that you love, go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find compared to places like Whole Foods, or specialty grocery stores, they are about the same, except for loss leaders as my local store. I really though only get TJ items that are generally not in other stores, so I can't really compare as expensive or not, like the palak paneer and now the mac and cheese so I consider these treats anyway. Some items I find of good quality and I prefer and might even be a bit cheaper. The yogurt for example at $2.99 is cheaper than Old Home. I did see on the lane next to us what looked to be a young dad doing a major shop, and his cart was bursting. I'm nosy like that and saw a lot of great produce, and a lot of meatless "meat" and I can't even imagine what his bill was. I kind of was listening but too soft-cuz I'm nosy like that! I did hear him say at the beginning they have lots of specialty diets in his house and this was his monthly main shop.

      Delete
  7. That's so weird....I am just sitting here drinking my first ever chai latte made with a mix I picked up for free from our town's community fridge recently!! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your verdict? I really like it on occasion-when I commuted, sometimes I made a travel mug for the ride home as part of my work to home transition. when I make at home, I use super hot water, then add a couple big splashes of milk to increase the creaminess.

      Delete
  8. I have never seen a Trader Joes - they don't have them in Canada. I actually love grocery stores that carry odd products. My local one has a full aisle of Asian and Indian products, much of it local. Love curry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a grocery store nerd when we go on vacation. I love bringing back local coffee and candy, and I do like the specialty items that are unique to a store.

      Delete
  9. Apple crisp and cinnamon rolls are two of my favourite treats. I don't really eat raw apples, but once they're cooked I am there! The chai sounds delicious too, I sometimes have an almond chai before the football but I haven't been able to do that for quite some time. I look forward to it, hopefully towards the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often just bite into an apple either, but love sliced and with peanut butter, but cooked as as ide dish or dessert, delicious. I know what you mean. I loved making a thermos of a favorite drink and watching my kids, or family kids on their Saturday morning games.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.