Friday, April 1, 2016

3-2-1- Liftoff

The new name, the refreshed look, and refreshed direction of my blog has launched. I decided my mad blogging skills are merely limited to the ability to stay with the templates provided, switch around color palates and back grounds, and rename sub pages. I'm OK with that. Over the life cycle of this iteration, I'll still be writing and sharing the oh so melodramatic sides of my life, but retooled and reframed through money management, time management, and to throw in a curve, kitchen management, These are the three areas I think the most about when trying to put order to life. These , depending on how well I manage, feed the parts of life that make all the other things, family, friendships, work, health, and travel, either tick or crash. I've started reordering some of my pages and added a couple others for archival value, and over time will sort and arrange those in referenceable formats. Don't be shy in telling me what you think. I went with an earthy, calm sort of color palate, but am not sure if it is soothing to the eye, or makes the food topics off putting,

Speaking of food, and that it's a dark early Friday morning, let's start with a muffin recipe. I read the basis of this, and have modified it along the way for my own purposes over the past 27 years. It originated in the first volume of the Tightwad Gazette. Click here for a review of the book series if it interest you. Amy Dacyczyn was the first guru of thrift I followed, pre-internet days when I was a young mom trying to stretch every penny.


Banana Oat Muffins

1 Cup Milk
I egg
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk together, then add

1/4 Cup vegetable oil
1-2 mashed banana's
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup white sugar

I always just do this on top of the wet mixture, but you can use a different bowl, then combine
1 Cup flour
1 1/2 Cup Quick Oats
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Combine dry ingredients, blend with sugar/wet ingredients. Grease or use papers, for 12 muffins. Bake  at 350 degrees, 15-20 minutes. Watch last five for degree of doneness.

I find these just sweet enough, but less sugar than other recipes. You could go up to a cup of sugar. Some people probably would add more egg, or less milk, but this works for me, and they get gobbled up. I seem to always have several frozen bananas, and all other ingredients on hand so this is a hugely economical go to breakfast.Over time, I'll do better cost and my prep and clean up time estimates on any recipe's I post as that  is important when thinking about when balancing money and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.