Sunday, January 13, 2019

Menu Planning for a Birthday and Finals Week

I think it was 2:05 a.m. this morning when DD2 and I pulled in the drive technically this morning, after leaving at 5:00 a.m. Saturday. The coach buses were false news-only one and four school buses. The band and the first show performing got the coach because the instruments and equipment all went under the storage area. Despite my feet being so sore today and being awake for 22  hours and then limited sleep, I am feeling among the living now. DD2 is sleeping as long as her body needs, but I hear her getting up. She has to meet up with school mates on a final semester project, plus start to study for Wednesday and Thursday finals. Because of a conflict, she actually has a night off tomorrow from show choir practice, a break well deserved and needed. It is also her 18th birthday tomorrow. Meals this week need to be nourishing, but also some of DD2's favorites. I'm having her grandma over next weekend-just couldn't pull it together for today after being gone, and next weekend is a four day weekend for both of us. I have leftovers to use up today for lunch, but later I need to go to the grocery store. Here's sort of what I am thinking for the week ahead. 

Sloppy Joe's and sweet potato wedges
Vegetable curry (going to try with chick peas and use coconut milk and make vegan)
Pasta Prima vera-Crock-pot version
Wild rice and mushroom soup
Supreme Pizza (probably Wednesday night from Aldi's)
Roast Chicken mashed potato's and green beans
Chicken noodle soup
Chicken tetrazzini with steamed vegetables
Ham, cheesy potatoes and corn 
Hot dos and tri-tator wedges

Many are DD2 favorites, but also easy for reheat and eat as she may have cramming sessions plus her regular week activities, barring tomorrow night. With roasting a chicken, I'll have leftover meat for a hotdish as well as soup, so should be a relatively frugal week. We are in a mild weather cycle, but I understand just a few hours south of us into Iowa, snow has hit. I don't think we will stay s fortunate to avoid snow much longer, so when I finally get to the grocery store, I'm planning to restock the pantry with staples. What's on you r menu this week? Do you have any meals you prepare that are favorites for birthday weeks?

13 comments:

  1. Usually we eat out on birthdays - that's about the only time we do. We have a tradition of peach pancakes on Christmas morning. On my menu this week is a frittata and cabbage roll casserole and Greek Lentil soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh-the soup sounds intriguing! I'm going to start her day with fresh blueberry muffins, some of her favorites. We eat out oo much, which takes the specialness away, and yet another reason I want to curb that.

      Delete
  2. HA! My DS turns 18 this week as well! He asked for a particular cake, but his college courses are all evening, so his birthday dinner will have to wait until next Sunday. The kids generally like grilled steak for birthday dinners, with the exception of my soon-to-be 18 year-old. I can never tell what he will request.
    I confess to abject envy reading about your DD. Her schedule is pretty much as mine was at that age. My DS, though? Him, wake up early, to STUDY? Ha. It seems none of my kids are as academically motivated as I was back in the day, him least of all. I actually told DD that her dreams of going to my alma mater were just that--dreams with her study habits. Even if she did manage to get accepted, no way I'd foot the bill until she proved herself capable of doing the work. Oddly, though, DS LOVES the community college experience, and regrets not enrolling in the program as a junior. He aced, and I mean ACED his English 101 course, (93%) singing the professor's praises to boot. This course was tough, too. Frankly, it was more demanding than my English 101 back in the day at my four-year college, and I only earned a "B!" He did even better in his online 200 level course, but is determined to never take another online class again. He thrived in the lecture environment on campus, and particularly enjoyed the diversity in the evening section. Go figure!
    Welcome home, and Happy Sunday. One more week to a four-day week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know you understand each kid is unique and needs to find their own path. I'm thrilled to read how much your son loves the community college. Your daughter too will find her way, and it could be by getting a non-acceptance letter, or learning some things really are not possible without hard work, and they have to do the work first.We had a great talk the other night as she wrestles with deciding on a school. One is safe in terms of the environment, support system, and net price after scholarships. Her dream school will be more out of pocket for us (the higher OOP on my annual savings goal budget), less built in support structure, and will require much more self motivation for success. It also tends to yield jobs for graduates staring 20% more than other schools she has considered, because of the prestige and academic rankings, including the safer choice. She earned her slot through hard work in the classroom, volunteerism, extra curriculars, and by having a summer job and pretty much banking rather than spending. She'll decide by the end of March, but she has to be the one to choose a path.

      Delete
    2. I would love to know the schools in the running. New Englanders though we were, my father encouraged us to apply to the private colleges in the mid-Atlantic, midwest states. Carleton, Grinnell, and Ripon were on all our radars. I think I told you one brother wound up at Carleton. I wound up in Ohio, as did another one of my brothers. (At a different school.) It's such an exciting time!

      Delete
    3. I'd rather not say via a public site. That's also why I use my initials and not actual name. I can say three public and two private were in running but she has it narrowed to one of each. She looked at Carleton and St Olaf but didn't see the overall fit for herself.

      Delete
  3. Choosing a school that is the right fit is a difficult decision. As long as your daughter follows what that little voice inside of her says, it will all be good.
    My older 2 chose a state university, which is a good school, but was definitely the most comfortable option. Son3, well, he chose a totally different (and much more expensive )path. You have to understand he is a southern mid size city boy who at 18 wound up living and going to school in Manhattan. The transition was much easier for him then it was for us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's not quite looking at NYC but a city much bigger than her current world. Both are in bigger population centers, though only compared to our home town, not if you compare to the whole Twin Cities metro. Our older two went bigger city D1 Universities.

      Delete
  4. Understood completely!
    Overall fit is important, ESPECIALLY with a small, liberal arts college. Oh, doesn't this bring you back? SO EXCITING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am investigating Soup #1 for my resolution 'one soup per month'
    As for birthday food, my Someone doesn't have any desires which is a disappointment for I have lots for my own. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a killer day! I hope your daughter's birthday is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birthdays at our house are the birthday person's choice. Usually the kids want to go out... the boys are still in the "I want to go to McDonald's" phase for their birthdays. This year Rebecca chose to go to the Chinese buffet. Bill usually wants wings for his birthday. And I don't really care as long as I don't have to cook it! LOL Hope you guys have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wonderful birthday week with your daughter. This is such a busy year for her and next year you will be an empty nester. You will love it after the initial 6 weeks of shock. So enjoy mom.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.