Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Happy (Snowy) Wednesday Thoughts

I took this just a moment ago. I think it must have started snowing sometime after 3:00 this morning and is expected to keep coming all day. I've watched the traffic flow, and it actually does seem that bad, but I always seem to get in the places with the muddles. I have my check-ins scheduled with staff so will do all by Skype and the one live meeting I had is now a virtual meeting using  Zoom. I brought my work home with me for a major review of work plans for 40 different schools, so will be very productive today despite the snow. 

I left my phone at work yesterday-my personal phone. It has my drivers licenses and a credit card in it. I'm sure it will be fine, but now that I won't be in the office, it is an inconvenience. We have a home cell phone and I have a work phone, so it isn't like I am without communication means. It will be interesting to see tomorrow morning what the missed calls and text volume will be. 

I'm not sure what we ill have for meals today. There is still wild rice soup and some portions of other soups in the freezer. DD2 quickly ate the leftover pasta while I curled her hair yesterday as her show choir performed for the 8th graders and parents at their high school orientation night. Some of the kids and parents seemed really enthused, but others looked a the stage like it was complete insanity for a high school to have a choir like this. I just came and watched the show, but left when it was done and the middle schoolers and parents could go to the commons for a resource fair. People really have no filters though. As I was walking out, I heard a mom being snarky with her kid, basically making fun of a few of the girls in the front that have very  "show choir" expressions. It wasn't my kid, but I just smiled at her and said, "Well, that's part of their show choir performance. They work incredibly hard." 

DD2 and her boy friend are no longer a couple. She was a bit disappointed and though the timing was odd, but agreed they are better as friends. She has so little time and he perhaps has too much time not being in an extra curricular activity right now. She had said right from the beginning that if they decided to not be a couple, they didn't want it to impact their friendship. In her big group of friends there have been other on and off couples and so far, they all seem to still be friends. There is a newer girl to their group, a friend of one of her friends that now is part of most things that DD2 says seems to create a bit of drama in her wake. She can't put her finger on it-says the girls is nice and "chill" yet, whenever there is a little spike in tension, she seems to be there. Interestingly, she just happened to be around the corner when DD2 and her friend were calling it quits as a couple. She also was part of a car pooling crisis (DD2 told me about it-she was not part of it) that created a rift between two of her other friends. I will not miss high school drama, even with DD2 staying usually an arms length or more away. 

Time to get back to work. I have a fresh cup of coffee and  Skype call one starts at 9:00. Be safe if you are in the wake of the snow storm. 

7 comments:

  1. You know, I don't get why parents would do something like that--say derogatory things about a high school performance in front of a middle school kid. If I had hear that, I would have been very passive aggressive and said words to the effect of, "I know, they were great, weren't they? Those girls are going places, but we're still going to be stuck in *name of town* making fun of them. I have, in fact, done just that.
    Dammit, you triggered me! Grrrrrr. I saw too much crap like that as a dance teacher. I finally got to the point that I would stand at the door to my classroom, have my class file in, shut the door behind me, and then very theatrically close the curtain to the observation window. Believe it or not, it was more important to do this with my pre-pointe/pointe dancers than tots. If anybody asked why I did that, I told them EXACTLY why I did that. Lucky daughter to have you to keep her grounded through this stage. Ugh. Another trigger of mine--how the schools encourage "couple" drama with things with their high stakes homecoming/prom traditions. Groups like you describe are so much better, aren't they. Sadly, though, the outliers of the big groups are the ones who tend to couple off, and then have the most difficulty extracting themselves from relationships. Yeah, I won't miss H.S. drama either.
    It's snowing at the higher elevations here. We've had 8 snow days. School set to get out July 2--it is not at all likely I will send my kids past June 20, no matter what happens! C'mon spring, you can make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter always said that is Hitler had peopled his army with teenage girls we would all be speaking German.

      Delete
    2. My mama bear was coming out a bit and the comments weren't about my kids. I get protective at any adult being rude, but particularly towards kids. My daughter wants to enjoy her free time, as limited as it is, without having to navigate hard feelings. She is determined to not let dram interfere with her senior year. He's a nice kid and no doubt will remain friends with my daughter-even if the little drama magnet ends up as his new girlfriend.

      Delete
    3. And Kim-you are so right! I would not want to be on the bad side of some teen age girls. I tried flying under the radar at that age.

      Delete
  2. Ah high school drama. Those tend to be the same people who cause drama when they grow up. Ask me how I know - my stepdaughter is one of those people. She is mostly doing better then last night she suddenly tells us she's given notice on her apartment and job (good job) and moving to a town 1.5 hrs away to live in the same town as her boyfriend of 6 months. Yeah, it was a bit of a shock as there had never been a mention that that was even an option. It's so good that your daughter has a good head on her shoulders and isn't invested too much in this teenage relationship. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully her decision will work out. six months is not a lot of time to really get to know someone let alone change your life for them.

      Delete
  3. Berk, high school drama. I guess I'm lucky in that most of that stuff just goes straight over my head - I just don't notice it or sense it. I'm still the same actually. There can be a room full of high tension and I don't even sense it. When I was in school I was one of what was called "the swots" - in the upper class because studying came easily to me. Quite a few swots got picked on and bullied but I was pretty much left alone because I was also into sport, but I feel so much for young people who maybe don't quite fit in with the "norm". I didn't but luckily survived. And yep I hate adults who are rude about kids performing. You may not like the performance but you definitely keep your thoughts to yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.