Sunday, February 17, 2019

Meals Without an Oven

My stove/oven make and model. 
We have not figured out the oven issue, though to be honest, neither of us have had the time to sit and try. DH thinks he resolved the furnace issue where the pilot light would go out at times for no reason, saving a service call. We were waking up some mornings to a 55 degree house-not cool, though hearkens to the days when someone had to get up and get a fireplace and wood stove started. With no oven, I am left to figure out meal planning with stove top, microwave and crock pot DH spent mote on groceries, but it was combined with a gas stop and I didn't see the receipt. I'm estimating he spent $22, bringing our February 20 $193. I have a weird eye to trying to keep to another month under $350 so with two challenges, low grocery budget and no oven, here is my plan for the week. It does require some groceries, plus we will need more laundry detergent, cleanser, and dusting spray, which I guess will be at least $7, leaving me a nice round $50 to supplement the remaining 11 days of the month to self imposed challenge. Of course, if I find  a loss leader or other great buys, the bets are off. .

Some of this will look familiar as items we didn't eat last week so they are carried over. A few standbys, turkey meat loaf and tuna hot dish are off the menu until I get my oven back, but might come up with alternatives. *Indicates includes some items needed from the grocery store. I'm trying to stretch! Saturday we will all be working our Show Choir competition, but will set aside a leftover plate for DH before he joins us. this should yield lunch left overs for the week as well.

  • Cheese ravioli, broccoli salad
  • Turkey meat balls (fried on stove rather than baked) and mashed potatoes, green beans
  • *Brats, shallow pan French fries
  • *Chicken wild Rice soup (DH made a massive pot last night so there are two meals worth still), homemade bread
  • Bean and cheese burritos with tomatoes and corn
  • Beef and vegetable stew with side of rice or egg noodles
  • *BBQ pulled chicken, coleslaw
Shopping list
laundry soap
cleanser
dusting spray
Hot dog buns
Coleslaw or cabbage (and I'll make my own dressing)
eggs
bread
Tortillas
Coffee
yeast
apples
bananas
butter

It should be a low cost week for shopping, leaving me funds for next week. I'm going to get the bread maker out and do at least one loaf to go with the soup. Perhaps I might just hit the clearance bread rack-we'll see how ambitious I am. 

11 comments:

  1. I love your stove top /crock pot menu! It will be fun to see what you come up with while waiting for the oven to be repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no one will go hungry. It's funny how I am sure there are weeks when I don't use the oven much, but now of course I miss it like an appendage.

      Delete
  2. You do what you have to and you get by. That is a great way to live, but eventually you will have time to see what can be done about the stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually-DH pulled it our yesterday and thinks he knows the part he needs. He wants to noodle it around a bit more so he doesn't later waste time.

      Delete
  3. You could try and bake your meatballs in the crock pot too. It's too bad it's not bbq season, it would be a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes-the grill is on the deck and the deck has several feet of snow on top! We could hovel it off, and get out there is we were of a mind to. I didn't think about using the crock=pot for the meatballs. Interesting.

      Delete
  4. We went a year without a stove, the repair man tried everything and we didn't have the money to replace it. I bought a 18 quart roaster that I even made cookies in for Christmas that year. Hopefully you won't need a new stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stove top works fine plus have the microwave and assorted appliances. I know it can be done. It is only 15 years old-no reason it should not be fixable, and taking advice from others, we'll see if it is a simple fix before calling the repair line.

      Delete
  5. We went months without an oven after a power surge fried the electronics. The stovetop was still usable and we also had a crockpot and toaster oven. I would use to microwave to partially cook things like fries and chicken nuggets then finish them in the toaster oven to get crispy and to reduce cook time. Eventually we found a scratch and dent oven at a great price. Dent is hidden and I covered to scratches with special paint (heat safe) I got at walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what my worry is-that the entire electric system is gone. We have had such cold weather and snow with spurts of power outages. If as a last report we need to replace, I will be looking for functional and low cost. We know if and when we sell, someone will come in and want all brand new whatever the theme of appliances is at the time, so we are not going to invest too much in any replacement needed.

      Delete
  6. The electrical board cost nearly as much as a brand new oven. And we now put surge protectors on everything in the house. The problem was an idiot semi truck driver trying to squeeze through a residential area and taking out a power pole-twice!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.