Thursday, August 29, 2019

Thirfty Thursday-Quieter House Edition


Well, the kid is moved, I've been back to work, and a new frugal routine is in order. Some of the wins for the week involve the youngest still as we wrapped up the packing and figuring out what She really needs.

  • DD2 found a super soft, light weight American Eagle brand sweater at the Salvation Army thrift store for $5.99. She made due with most of her old clothes but her school is four hours north where it gets colder earlier so she felt she needed a few more sweaters.
  • Received a $10 voucher at the doctors office for fruits and vegetables at Cub food.This was part of a Health Partners program aimed at getting children and teens to eat more fresh produce and since DD2is still 18, we got the voucher. 
  • Ordered new of her two remaining books on-line for $5 less than the book store. There was also an error on her schedule and a six week optional 1 credit class was on her schedule. She'll be dropping the class as she does not need it, and will receive full credit back for the books.
  • Cleaning out a purse, I found an old Starbucks card with a couple dollars still left on it, plus a couple dollars worth of change. While already mine, I'm counting all these little finds as thrifty wins as I try and maximize our funds and close leaks. 
  • DH was able to get a loaner truck from work which saved us a lot of frustration in getting moved. He then had a $0.07 gas coupon to refill it before returning.
I've been lazy about dinners this week, using what's in the house and trying to not stop at the store. We've eaten down odds and end leftovers, various bits of produce, and found items in the fridge, freezer, and pantry. I took a recommendation from T'Pol one of my readers and have been sautéing up odds and ends vegetables for my dinners-something a bit lighter but tasty. I've thrown chicken breasts in the oven for DH so dinners this week have been both easy and frugal. I'd like to start September with a clean slate in my kitchen, nice and tidy, and knowing what we need and only shopping for those items and the better than best loss leaders. As the month changes soon, do you have any August highlights on the spending or saving front?

6 comments:

  1. I saw T'Pol's comment about how they cook their veggies in Turkey too and will give it a try. Sometimes it's nice to have something simple. And starting "afresh" in September is almost like going back to school with a new pencil case isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my international bloggie friends! Always full of great ideas. I got a nice spiral lay flat hard cover notebook at the New Orleans conference this summer. It is one of the pricey type ones. I've been saving for September!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you are trying my kind of food. May be I should post some recipes and pictures from time to time. Feeling honored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Please do. I don't know how that works in comments, but if you e-mail me, you can be my collaborator. samandcoffee65@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. I will check that out and see how it works. Just need some time though. This is going to be a busy week.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.