Sunday, September 15, 2019

Meal Planning-The H&G Challenge is Going Well


I got to Thursday having spent $129on Household and Groceries (H&G). I then bought stuff for my desk, spending $8, and DH was hungry for fish and fries plus bought a few other things bringing spending to $157. As top at Aldi added $7, $16 for lunch fixings for DD1 and I and coffee, and nine a the farmers market for  maple syrup and tomatoes brings us to $182, with a September balance of $118. I'm feeling pretty good about  hitting that self imposed $300 challenge. I'm out of town for two nights and have a Thursday night meeting, so need to plan for meals for DH so he eats moderately healthy and doesn't resort to picking up tacos or Subway. I'll be sampling Veg Fest treat with DD1 early afternoon and we have dinner at a favorite supper club with my siblings, but hope to have some prep time this afternoon between the two activities. We'll probably stop for bread and milk, and  buns after dinner. I'll also need buns and some sides for Friday nights Sloppy Joe's and bon fire, plus something other than chicken for Thursday for DH to throw in the crock pot-probably either ribs or a pork loin.

 Once again, these are menu possibilities. I just do not do well with formal meal planning. You'll see some of the same things repeated, but most likely are are not eating them repeatedly-they just keep showing up as possibilities.  There's probably going to ample leftovers for him t heat and eat for lunches. Then we are gone Saturday and Sunday.

  • Tuna Hotdish (make ahead and DHs to heat up)
  • Homemade chicken nuggets and tator tots (will have the nuggets ready made for DH to heat up with the tots)
  • Meatballs, mashed potato, gravy and steamed veg
  • Whatever for the Thursday crock pot-roasted potatoes, vegetables
  • Sloppy Joe's, side salads, chips, chocolate cake (having my family over for a night with my brother. We leave early for college family weekend on Saturday morning)
I'll boil up eggs for egg salad plus hope to get some oatmeal cookies made for snacking and keep him away from Reese's. DD2 has some request for a few things to bring her, but I think we should spend more than another $40, leaving a pretty good balance for the last full week and few days of September. There will be non-food items like dog food, TP, and laundry soap, but I sure have noticed the demand on some of the household stuff has gone down with only two of us in the house. While having only $78 for these household items plus another week of groceries seems slim, we have a loaded pantry-it's pretty much just fresh items for food that will be needed. It's a moderately healthy menu options because I'm not relying on convenience foods so can control added fat, sugar, and salt. If you track, how are your doing in September? Is anyone else doing any challenges to get their fall shopping back on track after an expensive summer?

4 comments:

  1. You are doing great. We're not really on a challenge, but probably should be. I'm on my normal "use things out of the fridge & freezer" challenge. We are also hosting tonight vs eating out. Our choice, to save a bunch of money. Hosting is pricey, but will be about half the price of eating out, so that's a big win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No challenge, per se. I am in still in "use it up" mode for pantry and toiletries. That said, this weekend was a huge meat sale at our local supermarket, so my freezer has been filled with sirloin tip roasts ($2.99/lb) pork loin roasts ($1.59 lb) and mahi mahi filets ($6.99/lb) I passed up the $1.69/lb boneless, skinless breasts, because my family told me they feel like they are going to grow pinfeathers! Later this month comes the stock-up sale, and based on what's available, I will stock up. Other than that, no spending--I am primed for a Stoptober October, if I chose to participate. In fact, I think I am pretty much finished with Christmas gift shopping as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just trying to use up things in the freezer. I have a huge roast that is thawing upstairs and I will go up and braise it and throw it in the oven, so when Hub come home from the play he will have a nice dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good tuna hot dish! If yours is scrumptious I would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.