Thursday, September 26, 2019

Thirfty Thursday-Still Trying to Play the Savings Game

Kids are expensive-even when nearly 300 miles away from home. I'm sure we spent over $300 this weekend between gas and hotel, meals out, and miscellaneous spends. It was worth every penny to see our girl, see the college through her as a student and not just a prospective student. Time to refill the coffers though, so while stretching for these found some ways to save. Well, perhaps save isn't the right word, but spend a bit less.

  • While at Walmart picking up a few essentials for DD2 we were also looking for a few nonessential things, mainly a rug for in front of their closet. Neither girl did bring a floor rug for the hard linoleum floor, though there was small rug by her room mates bed, and a slightly bigger rug by their TV area.. Our daughter wanted us to look for a white, blue, or maroon rug. What a surprise to see the 5 by 7 area rugs, one in the plush white, on clearance for $25. I'm sure they were post college dorm room shopping extras. Back in August the least expensive rung of that size we could find was $60. Now they will have a sizable area covered when the Minnesota cold kicks in. Big tip for parents of high school juniors-shop now for as much as you can to fill a dorm room. Last September we got dorm bed style sheets for pennies on the dollar and tucked them away.
  • She also needed an umbrella. I didn't buy this, but rather dug in my car trunk, knowing I had a spare, and sent that up. The way she misplaces things and knowing one was around somewhere, I saved the $5.00 to buy a new one. 
  • We had my siblings over on Friday night. Even with buying beer and White Claw drinks, I spent under $35 and served 12 of us dinner. One sister did bring along bars and veggies. Even if I had made Sloppy Joe's rather than my stash, I still would have only spent another $10. Considering DH and I never go out and spend less than $50 it seems on just the two of us, I consider it a very thrifty night. I sent the remaining  met home with two sisters. I'm down to two containers now in the freezer. 
  • I haven't done a  real grocery shop this week, and likely won't before the end of the month. I stopped at Kwik Trip for bread and they also had some met specials. I bought two of their 1 pound ready to heat taco meat, 2 for $4.00. This made an easy meal last night before trivia, with leftovers, and a spare for the freezer. Another stop for guac, pretzels, milk, and hummus rounded out my shopping at $33.50. Even including snacks and food for DD2, I still have $40 of my tight September budget remaining. I'll use some for a fun treat to make with my great niece when I babysit, but otherwise, I want to eat down the pantry, fridge, and freezer until October.
  • I really wanted to sleep in a bit on Monday, but got up and started the coffee maker, then grabbed another 30 minute of sleep. I always wake up anyway, and the slight detour back to nod saved me from grabbing a take out coffee. Yes, I' reaching but sometimes its about not spending for me. 
I can't see spending much more the rest of the week. I thought I would bring some painting and craft stuff to my nieces house. I'll see what I can find before spending more. I want to do some baking or cooking with my great niece as well, so might make a stop. Otherwise, besides just paying bills, it will be a frugal weekend. We are going to have a quiet Saturday night after a long week and a busy past weekend. I might even get my house cleaned! 

8 comments:

  1. Those are all good savings. We haven't been spending much during the work week, so a few wins for us: used a gift card for a flight, only paying $50 out of pocket, chased Rite Aid over a $10 missing reward, & made enough food for leftovers this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With just the two of us, there always seems to be leftovers if we bother to cook. Right now, I am content to cozy up and not spend.

      Delete
  2. Well done on starting the coffee maker before you grabbed a few more zzzzzzzzsssss. Better than a takeaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I would just remember to set it for the night before, it would be even better, but then I'd have to keep it plugged in and I don't like that. I could though at least get it ready.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done, saving on coffee. I don't think that's a reach at all, considering it savings.

    No big savings this week. I did use a 40% off coupon on some lotion at CVS. Only to discover that I already had a backup in the cupboard. Oops. But both will get used up quickly enough. It *is* the desert after all.

    Glad you were able to find a good rug for your daughter. Sounds like quite a steal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like your system of transferring the funds not spent (take out coffee, laundry etc.) into a set aside. I wonder what my savings would really be if I looked at these little things in real cash. The rug was a good deal, and she'll use at least two years in the dorm, and possibly if she moves off campus depending on her space. I almost wish I would have got a spare for my basement, but perhaps in future clearance.

      Delete
  4. That kid will be expensive until she graduates and gets her first real job. I remember renting a U-Haul and Hubs and I loading it full of furniture out of a storage unit and driving 7 hours to southern Idaho. Eldest was already working as an attorney and living in a two bedroom apartment on a blow up mattress. She had her clothing and a few kitchen things. We actually unloaded and set up her whole apartment while she was in court. Then the the next day drove back to Boise to see her sworn in at the capital building, then back to Mountain home and as we drove away, I said to hubs, we will never have to give that kid money again. It was a good feeling. As a parent when you have kids educated,and financially independent, I can't think of a better feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so that really happens, hah? Just kidding-my older daughter has been quite independent since her first real job. Son is as well, but has had a few career and money blips.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.