Saturday, October 26, 2019

Life Insurance-How Much is Enough

     I've learned through three different friends, virtual and in real life, that a friend or family member of theirs lost their significant other, unexpectedly, and younger than age 60, and none through accidental death. Heath issues can creep up on anyone, and the worst outcome does happen. when we were young we thought about the future and took out life insurance on both of us, much more on DH as he was earning twice my salary at the time In hindsight, that was not smart because while the loss of his income would have hurt more, had I decided first, there were a lot of costs he would need to pick up such as more child care, and help around the house. Yes, I know thousands upon thousands of single parents do all the home work themselves, but DH's schedule always has been long days and including Saturdays.  We solved the issue somewhat when I went back to work full time and between life insurance automatically received through my employer and the optional buy in, we had the minimum amount  suggested, of five times your salary.

     Here we are though years later, and I didn't take into account that there are so many other things dependent upon my ability to be working that should I pass before DH, and specifically before he reaches 67, would put a strain on his finances. One, I hadn't considered that my last job had an automatic life insurance of 2X my salary. My current automatic life is capped at an amount that is  $15,000 less than my salary. Even though I have increased the amount I can buy in, and that old policy has increased in value, my total combined coverage was only slightly more than 3X my salary. Take into account that  I hold the health insurance and we still have one more child to get through college, that insurance could be eaten up fairly quickly. I opted to find another policy that should the worst happen, would cover the balance of her undergrad tuition and  nine years of  decent private health insurance. The policies already in place would help ensure he could still retire as planned, cover life events such as weddings, and give a breathable cushion to hold off accessing retirement accounts until much later. 

     To make this additional policy somewhat affordable, I opted for just 15 years of coverage, enough to get me past my own retirement age. At that point, I'll probably buy one of those guaranteed life insurance policies that are available to cover final  expenses, but we no longer will need to ensure the full private insurance. 

     If the situation was reversed, things are a bit tighter. DH will lose roughly 2X his salary in life insurance once he retires. This is the main reason why he will not retire before DD2 is done with college. To get the same policy I got, the monthly cost would have been astronomical as he is five years older than me, had a TIA at age 50, and a family history of heart disease under the age of 60. Still, because he doesn't carry the health insurance, that alone off sets nearly $100,000 for every five years of need. It also would be easier for me to just keep working a few years longer should he pass before me. I have oodles of vacation so could still travel, and retiring alone is less appealing anyway, and I like my job. Not to say DH would be keen on retiring alone either, but his current job is too many hours, and he could choose to find something to keep him busy that the enjoys, without the need of making a certain income standard. 

     I don't know if this is the soundest plan, and I sure am regretting not buying more when we were young. However, I have had more pace of mind in the last two weeks, knowing DH will be able to at least financially move on without having a financial burden. I think the experts now say seven times your salary is what is needed. I think that takes into account that a family still has young kids at home and a mortgage. Our house is paid for and we just want to make sure we are bridging to a sound retirement and not creating any burden for our children. I think we have done that. Your thoughts? 

7 comments:

  1. That's a difficult one! I had around $350,000 worth of life insurance on myself when the kids were younger because I had expat benefits that gave me a partial grant towards my kids'(very expensive) international school. Had I gone first my ex would have had to take them out of bilingual education and put them in a French school I guess. When they got older and finished school, there wasn't such pressure for the insurance and after I got divorced I cancelled it as I figured I could put the money to better use (I did -- paid off my mortgage 10 years early). I figured my kids will get the house when I go so don't need it any more (although I did recently take out funeral expenses insurance). The problem as you get older, of course, is that you probably can't get the insurance any more. Like I say, it's a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel more secure now with this policy. It gets me to retirement and when, knock on wood, we both are eligible for Medicare and social security at full benefits. Plus, I'll still have that original plan as does DH, and whatever the other does not need, along with the house proceeds, will go to our kids.

      Delete
  2. We both have really great insurance through work, but it's not portable. I should have probably gotten something a decade ago, because I'm guessing with lupus, my options are almost nil or insanely expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lack of portability is what scared me. I lost over $100,000 of life insurance value changing jobs.

      Delete
    2. I should add though, it seems to be history, personal and family, of cancer or heart disease which are the big factors. My own OBGYN issues and arthritis didn't seem to throw it off too much because while painful and diminish the quality of life, they were not considered life expectancy reducing. Now a policy that included disability would be an entirely different quote. Your circumstances might be different as I know lupus is linked to other conditions.

      Delete
  3. It's definitely better to buy term life, for a longer term, when you are younger. It's all kind of confusing (plans, terms, costs, etc) but when we looked at the cost for life insurance for hubby at age 70 the prices were astronomical! Then there is medical insurance which is a whole other huge financial issue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For better or worse, we actually have whole life, so it has been gaining value-adding more insurance each year we do not use and keep paying the ridiculously high premiums. We are though at the point where the cash value is more than we paid in. I figured I better get tis term policy while I am still considered low risk of dying within the next 15 years.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.