Sunday, October 20, 2019

Meals and Treats



I did a pretty large shop at Aldi on Friday-just shy of $100. We also went to the orchard yesterday and I have a peck of apples, though am sharing with DD1. Last year we bought way too many together and the quality in the grocery stores this time of year is pretty good so no need to buy so many at the top prices. Still, we like to do at least one pick our own, and I'm counting the costs as entertainment. It means I have loads to use in recipes as out of habit, I bought apples at Aldi as well. I've never had much luck at a decent pie crust, but am bound to give it a go again. Pie crusts have the most basic of ingredients and should be something I should have mastered and want my girls to be able to make, so not going to let years of  less than stellar efforts derail me. I've been over bingeing on The British Baking Show drooling over the pie days, and very much would like to add some homemade savory pies to our fall and winter menus.


So armed with butting cupboards, freezer, and fridge, and a bounty of fresh picked apples, I've sent some time scouring the Internet for easy pie crust recipes. I'm going to give this Perfect Oil Pie Crust a try. Oil in a pie crust? I know-strange as I have always thought you had to have ice cold butter or  lard or at minimum, Crisco. But I have vegetable oil and Cassidy in her  post suggests even olive oil would work for a savory filling. I figure why not.
 I'll fill you in tomorrow. Mean while, here's what I'm thinking for meals for the remainder of October.

  • Roast Chicken with mashed potatoes and corn
  • Chicken Pot Pie, with potatoes, carrots, celery, green beans and gravy
  • Chicken noodle soup, made with loads of carrots, celery and bread maker bread
  • Pork chops, homemade apple sauce, corn, and potato wedges
  • Tuna noodle hot dish
  • Wild rice soup and a baguette
  • Hamburgers or veggie burgers, onion rings, and salad
  • Spicy turkey meatballs with BBQ sauce, rice and vegetable pilaf
  • Salisbury steak (hamburgers with gravy)over rice with steamed mixed vegetables, drop biscuits
  • Rice crust quiche with cheese and vegetables
  • Rice hot dish with hamburger, carrots, and celery (a comfort food dish from my childhood)
  • Cheesy brats and mac and cheese (part of a Halloween tradition as I used to make hot dogs and mac and cheese for the kids before taking them around)
There will be a night or two of leftovers and plenty of lunch options. We have a fundraiser voucher for a free large Papa Murphy's pizza to use before the end of the month as well. This is good because with our anniversary day and the weekend and the next several days of splurging  with my daughter, I really want to meet my aggressive $300 H&G budget. What's on your menu this week? Anyone else make pie crust with oil with success?

12 comments:

  1. I had awful luck with pie crusts, tossing out as many batches as I made until a friend sent me this recipe similar to the one you linked:
    Mix together in a bowl:
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    Whisk together in a different bowl (I use a glass measuring cup)
    1/2 cup oil*
    1/3 cup cold water. Add this to the flour, and work with a fork until smooth and workable. Use it immediately--no chilling.
    To get it in the pie pan, I roll it around my rolling pin, then unroll it in the pan. Once in the pan you can "pat" it in areas, and use a bit of water to correct any splits, etc. In the years since I've discovered this recipe, I've only had to toss out about 3 batches due to failure. Since it's so easy, and relatively cheap, I didn't mind starting over that much. It's good for sweet or savory pies, and it's fairly easy to cut the recipe in half for a one crust pie.
    *I use extra light olive oil
    Also, I "tent" all my pies with foil to prevent overbrowning. I STILL can't make my pies come out with nice crimped edges--don't think I ever will!
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked a charm-my whole poste today. Yeah, the crimping? No go here either.

      Delete
  2. My pie crusts either crumble or they are too hard. The only time I had a good crust was when I used the food processor adding everything very very cold. Ice cold water, flour out of the fridge and pre-cubed and refrigerated butter. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe worked and was super easy. I put ice cubes in the water to make sure it was really cold.

      Delete
  3. I have a pie crust recipe I learned to make the first year Hubs and I were married it is a no fail crust. I will post it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to like making pastry when I was a kid, but as time moves on and life gets busier I think we sometimes lose the joy don't we. Good luck with your attempt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peeing the too small apples was my biggest pain, but all and all, a success.

      Delete
  5. This is Nan.I have used Crisco or even an off brand of shortening to make pie crusts for years- never a problem. My recipe is simple: 2 cups all purpose flour, 2/3 cup shortening, dash salt, 7 Tablespoons of ice water. I use a fork to incorporate the shortening, flour and salt and then just dump the water in! I mix with the same fork until it makes a ball- cut it into 2 pieces, put flour on my counter and roll out one piece at a time. I don't play around with it- Granny taught me that makes the crust tough. I use a big spatula to slide under the rolled out dough and then fold in half and put in pie plate. If it rips a little, I don't worry about that. I even taught my baby sis this recipe and she can bake a pretty good pie. I crimp the edges in the pie plate- sometimes it might be a little short but again I don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had recipes for years, but never sure what I was doing wrong. I think my problem was using hard fats andnot getting them incorporated right and then over working-the oil worked a charm.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. If you find yourself in Minnesota, I will have one with your name on it-complete with bread crumbs.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.