Saturday, October 19, 2019

Saturday Plans

      I love a good Saturday when there are no "have to's" on the calendar. That seems to be my new norm I guess, but today, my good Saturday is filled with time with my daughters. I'm letting DD2 sleep in, but we're swinging by to get my older one at 11:00, then a day out and about. So far, we are planning an orchard/farm stop, and Indian food. We might drop into Goodwill and see if there is anything worthy of handing over our cash. My older daughter is still on the look out for a long warm coat. I'm not looking for much of anything, but I like the hunt.

     I splurged this week  ($6.36+ tax) and ordered a flour sifter from Amazon. The last time I made pumpkin bread, despite  mixing my dry ingredients what I thought was really well, I still had little flecks where the soda and flour weren't blended. I grew up watching my mom always use a flour sifter when she baked, but I have never bothered. Now, I'm seeing more and more recipes that  add  sifted before flour that I think I've been doing a disservice to my home baking all these years. Baking pumpkin bread is on the list for today as well, with no clumps. DD2 wants to bring some back with her. 

     Two jobs that have to get done this week are running the self clean oven and a top to bottom refrigerator clean out. I'm doing neither today but I sure noticed yesterday the awful state of both. I'm disappointed in myself that my brand new appliances are not looking pristine-and I know, sill no pictures of the  spruced up kitchen. If I run the self clean on Thursday night, it will be cool while we take the kid back to school and can save both those jobs for Friday. I'm only using four vacation days as my flex days have switched giving me back to back Fridays off, so I don't feel so bad using my final day of vacation getting the kitchen to rights since technically not using a vacation day. Once I hid publish on this post, I'm going t do a quick dust and vacuum of the living room and call my cleaning for today done. 

     How about all of you? What's you plans for this third Saturday in October? Is anyone thrifting or visiting any farms or orchards? 

11 comments:

  1. I am so glad I read this! I have been intending to turn the self clean feature on my oven and keep forgetting until it is too late. Thank you so much for the heads up.
    I hope you and the daughters have a most wonderful day together, especially since you have nothing to do but have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have lots I should be doing. Just not lot's I have to do-and that makes all the difference. Happy Saturday!

      Delete
  2. Have so much fun with your daughters. I am jealous I wish I was with mine. Then tell us all about your fun times so I can live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did nothing exciting, but thoroughly enjoyed our day. I get today with them as well as the older is coming over to watch the football game with her dad. that's become their thing and he really likes it.

      Delete
  3. Have a great weekend! Due to the 8 hour time difference, it is already dinner time over here. I have accomplished all that I needed to so, I am going to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done! I admit after helping to get DD2's laundry done. I'm not overly focused on any to do list this weekend.

      Delete
  4. This evening I plan to get out some Halloween trimmings and up them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to share our kids time with her friends that came home for the weekend as well. this morning we have a carved pumpkin on our doorstep. I should get some companion things out there for the lonely pumpkin.

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely way to remember your mom isn't it Jean! I love to bake (baked some coconut/cherry squares yesterday at 1 million calories each) and would have loved to have had my parents and brother here to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We humans show love with food, don't we! I love that about baking.

      Delete
  6. That's awesome Jean. YEs, those little things from childhood that make us remember our parents are little gems. Usually it is the most humble of activities that bring me the greatest memories.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.