Saturday, January 4, 2020

2019 Financial Wrap Up

    
     
     As posted last month, we hit our $30,0000 savings/priority spending goal for 2019. We had a pretty financially positive December as well, greatly aided by the fact we both had fully funded our 401 K so nothing was deducted, and DH was able to use the remaining vacation days to off set so many missed days of work. On the short days he did make it into the store, he had successful results. His first check in January will likely be very low though, and we will be back to contributing to the 2020 401K allowance. I also have a lot of Christmas expenses that will show on the January VISA bill because I just could not get it all done by December 10th when the cycle closes. So while we tucked $6,500 aside in cash, it's a little false sense of accomplishment as 2020 will start very slow.

     The financially successful year may be a very one off. There is no way DH can work the kind of hours he worked in 2019, where over 50% of the stores sales were attributed to him. I'm being pragmatic and assume his salary will be closer to what it was in 2018 and 2017.  They brought a veteran salesperson back, who no doubt will draw many of the potential customers from DH. If this means he is not burning all his energy solely in the work place, I'm all for this. 2019 savings was more down to an abnormally high earning year for DH and less about my thrift and frugality. However, I have opportunity to do better in the thrift department, while living a good life in 2020. 

      Here were priorities above regular cash flow, though for next year as we develop a new budget, we'll incorporate some expenses as part of regular cash flow..

College                                     $21,000
Show Choir Trips                      $ 1,970
Graduation Party                       $   900
Move In Weekend                     $   175
Parents Weekend                      $   175
Choir Concert Trips                   $   350
Home Improvements                 $ 5,430
Total                                          $30,000 

     Here's is how I categorized the savings and priority spending for 2019. 

($0)  Borrowed from Savings
$ 24,900 Deposit
$  2,910 Show Choir Trip #1,#2, #3 + Nashville (we are over in this category by $940)
$     100 College Deposit
$     175 Parents weekend (though probably overspent on this in eating out and entertainment_
$ 8,600  Home Improvement (Over in this category by $3,170)
$36,585 Net Result 

     I'm not sure how to best track 2020. We will be cash flowing much of the college costs as we wait another year to use  one of the accounts that is earning a good rate. We are hoping to still put the max in the Roth, which is $13,000, and we may have to tap into savings to do that by the April 15 deadline. There's the fireplace, office, and deck/patio work, and our little trip in November to Las Vegas. We have three weddings this year to gift, and one of which I am a shower host. I think our trees are looking rough. We lost one a couple years ago, and two of the four remaining are looking rough. When they come down, we will need to deal with stump removal, which is a small fortune. So many potential expenses, and we will need to prioritize, even beyond the need/want list from yesterday. I think I might just track from $0, and see if the numbers by December 31, 2020 are still colored black. I'll leave 2019, calling it a financial success. For 2020, My goal will be to stay in the black with our earnings and expenditures, tapping into and out of our cash account as needed. How was 2019 for you financially? Did you achieve your saving and priority spending goals?

11 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed with how you track your savings/expenses - you obviously have a very analytical mind! And you're right, if not earning as much means DH can relax somewhat that can only be a plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was spending the same, if not more time there than the GM, and while they gave home an annual increase to his base of $9,000, it equally could have cost him that in sales as he spent so much time fixing issues others caused, so it wasn't een a raise-just more steady I guess.

      Delete
  2. There are things I can improve on and things that are only going to be more difficult through 2020. My main objective is to keep my head above water as the year progresses. I am talking mainly about things other than finances, but time is the one thing I cannot manufacture more of, so time is in my yearly budget as well as finances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, Time management can be a whole post of it's own, and just as important. I don't have the stressors you have now with helping your mom, but with work we will be approaching our chaos time between February and the start of the new fiscal year on July 1.

      Delete
  3. You are so blessed SAM to make the kind of money you do and to have the skills to save like you do. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entirely fortunate and blessed. I agree-and hopefully I am worthy of the abundance, and use it to help improve the world, while taking care of my own. I've got some posts coming up about this. I hope I don't take it for granted-but feel free to call me out if I come across this way.

      Delete
  4. It's been another terrible year financially, as a consequence of all the other things that have happened to us, but we can do nothing but keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the stress you shared of your husbands job and eluded to other stressors. I'm sorry and wish and hope 2020 is better. As I said to Kim, I hope I use our resources well, and not just for our own needs and wants. So much of financial success is plain luck and not wit or skills. The reverse is also so, and bad public policy that makes it nearly impossible to recover or get incremental help.

      Delete
  5. This off-topic for this post, but I have this box in my hands right now. For a low sodium cracker, I eat Nabisco Wheat Thins--hint of salt. That is right on the front of the box. There are 55 mg of sodium 16 crackers. For comparison, regular saltines have 135 mg of sodium in five crackers. Maybe this can help when he is just going to eat crackers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind to think of him abd share that information. He loves wheat thins.

      Delete
    2. You are welcome. I love them, too. I should not be eating them as they are wheat...argh!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.