Thursday, January 2, 2020

Game Day (Healthyish Nacho's

     The Minnesota Gopher's finally made it to one of the big ticket bowl games and played in the Outback bowl against Auburn yesterday. It was a good game with our maroon and gold coming on top. The boat was rowed!  DH really looked forward to the game, but his traditional game fair foods are going to be off the menu in our house for the foreseeable future. Since my sister dropped of a big slab of prime rib, which with baked potatoes and salad became a deliciously easy and simple dinner, I thought I would at least try and make him a better than average game day treat. 

     DD1 shared how she makes her own tortilla chips and last Sunday when we shopped, I bought a big  bag of corn tortillas, 0  mgs of sodium. I cut a bunch into quarters and toasted them into the oven. From there, I topped them lightly with cheese and low sodium, plus rinsed black beans, and put back in the oven. I made a low salt guacamole, and a corn, tomato, and black bean salsa for dipping. He declared them tasty and fit for a bowl game. 




     I think I'll look up other recipes using the corn tortillas such as taquitos, and sopas. The flour tortillas, unless I learn to make my own, are just so loaded with added salt. I think with the air fryer, I might have some good luck recreating things I used to buy premade and frozen. One challenge for me will be to master the recreation of at least one former DH favorite food a month. 

18 comments:

  1. Google "low sodium flour tortilla brands." I was rooting for Auburn. Tommy graduated from AU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm researching, but they have to be available near us. Sorry to disappoint Tommy, but the Gophers needed this win!

      Delete
  2. We make our own tortilla chips when we are out of chips too. I've made them with flour and corn tortillas. Your nachos sound delicious. You could also make enchiladas with the tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trader Joe's has a kind that are almost salt free, so next time I am near I will pick them up. I like the idea of trying enchiladas so will look for a sauce that is not loaded with salt.

      Delete
    2. Make your own enchilada sauce. It pretty easy and low salt if you make it from dried chiles.

      Delete
    3. I have a huge stack of corn tortillas to use and ground turkey. I think I will do some googling-thanks friends!

      Delete
  3. It's fairly easy to cook low sodium fare if you are up for cooking from scratch. I find with nachos, if I use low sodium tortillas, once I add toppings they really require no additional salt. I also make quesadillas--to do this I place cheese, leftover meat (best with steak or chicken) and salsa (I often can my own) on a tortilla, top with another tortilla, and fry in olive oil. I have also used my George Foreman grill for this when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to watch a pan.
    Enchilada sauce is very easy to make on your own--start with low salt tomato sauce. I use a similar recipe to this one: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/61727/ten-minute-enchilada-sauce/
    I never use onion salt or garlic salt for that matter. I use onion powder and garlic powder. Usually when I make salsa I make a huge batch, and can it, figuring I am able to can 8 pint jars in the time it would take me to get to the store and buy one jar. I use the recipe in the "Getting Started" section of this book:https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ball+canning+book&qid=1577984098&sr=8-3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy, and from scratch, are not often mutually inclusive for me, but I will do my best with my time schedule. I think DH needs to do a better job learning to cook as well, and not relay on me.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. tasty, but a bit of a pain so if I can find no salt chips, I'll get them. super bowl is coming.

      Delete
  5. It's a challenge to try to change your way of cooking isn't it. I remember my mom doing it after my dad had his first (of many) heart attacks and it was TOUGH. But I'm sure you'll rise to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it won't hurt my health either, so probably good for us both.

      Delete
  6. Don't burn out trying to cook things that are ultra healthy. Choose your battles and use some low-sodium or no salt items until you can work up to doing them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree-if I can find swaps, I'll buy them.

      Delete
  7. As you know, we cheer for the other team, so we were pleased to see Minnesota win. We did not watch it because our team was on at the same time. (We also ate NOTHING healthy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, only our Gophers seemed to do well for the Big 10 in Bowl games this year, but I too am a secondary Tide fan due to my sisters first husband (she was widowed young), an Alabama alum and huge fan. I rooted for Wisconsin even with the rivalry because Big 10, and well, now that she chose a different school, I can say that Wisconsin had been by DD2's dream school and was accepted, but ended up going very small.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.