Monday, January 6, 2020

Plans for a Greener 2020

     


     While I did not specifically state going greener as a goal for 2020, I think as a member of planet earth, I need to do more to control my own carbon foot print. The fires raging in Australia, ice melting in Greenland at super fast rates, and closer to home, the ongoing it seems fire season in California which hits home as  several have gotten close to my son's home, and have impacted his work opportunities, are all impacted by climate change. I firmly believe we humans have pushed our self centered lives of convenience far too long ignoring the cost. To this end, and I believe economy of spending and economy of natural resources overlap most of the time, I'm looking to learn and do more in 2020.

     My community is on board with this. Starting in February there will be free monthly sustainable resource workshops ranging from impactful clothing to organics recycling. They are either a Saturday or the following Thursday, so two options to attend. I'm already on the band wagon with the impact  of buying fast fashion. Clothes should be a durable good, not a disposable commodity. While my wardrobe needs a spruce up, I am either going to look for second hand, or if I buy new, products that are made well, without  a look to a trend, that can be used for many years. I'm also very curious about organic recycling and composting. Maybe this will be the year I can get a little garden to grow, and if I can make sure the stuff I use to help nurture plants are not chemical laden, the food has to be better quality, right? My list for now on reducing my footprint includes,

  1. Reducing and eliminating when possible single use paper products. As I get rid of ill fitting or stained clothes, towels, etc. turn what I can into cleaning and mop up rags. 
  2. No straws, and requesting no paper cups etc. whenever an option exists. I need to get better a having  a clean coffee mug and water bottle with me.
  3. Other than under garments (to which I just can't get over a squeamish factor) replace or refresh with thrifted clothes first and only as a last resort, buy new. 
  4. Scratch and bulk cook, particularly looking for items with the least amount of packaging in the store. While I'm not a sewer, I think I could make simple produce bags to skip the plastic. I don't want to pay for the weight of the bag though, so need help. Who brings their own and what are they so I can try and make a few? Perhaps it might be less costly to order some, so a brand recommendation is welcome. 
  5. Keep empty reusable shopping bags in the car and do a weekly check to replace as I use them. I have gads of them, but I often don't think about it unless I am intentionally shopping and then I'll stop and end up with plastic. 
  6. Ordered compostable poo bags for pup (as if I am reducing the plastic bags, I'll need something else.) I hate paying for something to pick up Sh$##@!, but since I need to anyway, might as well make sure they will do less harm. 
  7. Same with packing lunches. I do use reusable containers but sometimes I run out as the right size are in the dishwasher and have used zipper seal bags. Perhaps I can find an organic sandwich wrap. 
  8. This one will be a challenge, but will yield better results two fold-walk to the local store, even in cold weather, rather than drive over. Even if I can't cut across the path, it is less than a mile walk the long way around. 
  9.  Replace many of my cleaning products with biodegradable options. This will be a work in progress as I learn to try brands and options, and develop a comfort level. I use vinegar a lot, but it doesn't work for all things. 
  10.  Must, must, must reduce food waste and increase plant based meals. 

     I'm sure the list will grow as I learn more or others share ideas. If I am even 10%  successful, I've cut down some of my contribution to global warming. I hope to do much better than  minimal progress. Have you increased your green living in recent  times? Do you have any specific habits you have switched to that were difficult at first ad now you don't even think about them? Please share so we can all learn. 

17 comments:

  1. Where we live,many of the changes you mention have been required by local laws (no plastic straws, not shopping bags can be given without a fee, etc). Which, has quite frankly helped me get less sloppy. I do need to be better about produce bags. I have them for my house, but don't bring them to the produce shop. That could be a good goal for 2020.

    Here are a few things we do:
    1) We try not to buy drinks out at all. We carry flasks for cold drinks.
    2) We use cloth napkins for all meals at our house
    3) We keep shopping bags in the car
    4) We largely shop in bulk. Although, Costco also uses more plastic packaging than I wish they would (fruit, etc).

    One of my big goals in 2020 is reducing my inexpensive clothing purchases... to buy fewer items, higher quality as needed. And to try & sell/donate items that I'm done with. I already donate, but I know most places are filled with clothing donations.

    As for the sandwich bags, I've tried Lunchskins from Amazon. I don't love them, but they can go in the dish washer. We use them to pack non-messy snacks & sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not buying things in the first place but using my own water and coffee bottles should be the easiest one. I'll check out the Lunch skins-sounds weird though. My guess is the stuff you donate is of higher quality than a lot of the fast fashion stuff and finds a good new home.

      Delete
  2. I think it must be over 10 years since France banned handing out free bags in supermarkets so most people have been carrying their reusable bags for ages. I keep mine in my car and always have them with my in the store. About 7 years ago I bought reusable produce bags also and use them in the store (they're made of muslin), and at the market I just hand over my shopping basket and tell them to dump everything straight in. As for rags, ha, since my ex just abandoned the home he was living in and I had to empty it, I gave all his good clothes away to the food bank/psychiatric hospital and anything that was too yucky to give away I've been cutting up and using as rags. Five years later I'm still going strong. My mom used to say you could tell someone was posh because they "bought" their dusters! And she was right I guess! Good luck on going green (I'm 100% with you on that) and I think walking to the store would be a wonderful way of getting the exercise in too. Let us know how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see though even in aldi's, people just grab the bags and don't seem to mind the extra charges. I want to eliminate those as much as possible. I knew that about France and brought along a couple bags from home, which proved handy for many things on the trip. My daughter and I also bought ourselves Monoprix bags as souvenirs LOL. We both use all the time. Best three euros for two bags I spent.

      Delete
  3. You have a great list already but I'd simply get/make reusable shopping bags. Also, unless you are actually composting your pet's poo it won't decompose in most landfills so I'd use your stash of plastic bags for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have oodles of shopping bags-it is the produce bags for weighing and separating that I need solutions for. If I don't take things home in plastic, I'll soon not have poo bags, so that is why I am looking for an alternative, but you raise a very important point. I'll need to figure out how, if possible, to get rid of it in the biodegradable bags that well, biodegrades, or else I haven't really done anything.

      Delete
  4. At Dollar Tree, I bought sheer lingerie bags for produce. There is also a more sturdy bag with heavier material that is made for lingerie. Those do not weigh much at all. Just don't let the produce free range in the shopping cart/buggy because people put raw meat in there and we all know that leaks a bit. Plus, people put children and pets in there who do not have clean feet. If I get bananas and do not want a plastic bag, I perch them on my purse...lol.

    Take a square cloth or bandana and tie the corners to make a bag around produce. Sew a pants leg shut at the bottom and hook a strap on it, sewn or otherwise for a bag, but not to weigh them.

    I am going to get napkins cut from Tommy's shirts.

    Grow food in pots; it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lingerie bags is a good idea. I read someone tries to reuse the meshing that onions and clementines come in.

      Delete
  5. Our favorite supermarket stopped giving out bags some time ago, so I invested in some hemp grocery totes. They are wonderful. The hard part is remembering to put them back in my car once we unload, and to keep my kids from using them for their purposes.
    My biggest challenge is using paper towels. We use a lot of them, and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to limit our use. My germaphobic son is the main culprit, but I am guilty as well. It is so easy to grab a wad when you know you have a case out in the garage.
    I have shopped the used market first for all our clothing/linen/hard furnishings (tables, wood chairs, lamps) and home goods needs for years. Fortunately, my kids are entirely on board with this as well. We are far happier with things found in the used market than the new. In fact, for Christmas, my college student son gave DH two of three brand new Duluth Trading Co. long sleeve t-shirts he found in a local thrift shop, keeping one for himself--all party of a $5/bag of clothing sale. The clerk implored us to find more things to tuck in our bag. We were there to pick up an Ethan Allen coffee table I spied while driving past.
    I echo the commenter who said that the poo won't decompose in the landfill unless you are pit composting yourself.* I wouldn't bother purchasing special bags, I'd just save all the plastic bags that do come across your path, and toss them in the garbage. I splurged on a Simple Human wall mounted plastic bag dispenser for just this purpose.
    My green goal is to remember to recycle all items the center will accept--it's harder than it sounds. For instance, when I open a new tube of toothpaste, I need to remember to tuck the cardboard in the recycling bin, not just toss it in the trash!
    *When I had roses I was told to dig a pit by the roots every week or so, and bury cat poo in it. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was easy to remember my bags, I wouldn't be carting Aldi boxes home so often! I love that your kids were thrifting for gifts-and what finds.

      Delete
  6. I started to do so much of this just in the last 5 years in order to save money. But I could do much better. We all could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time green and frugal over lap, but when it doesn't, I hope I invest the savings into green a bit better in 2020.

      Delete
  7. 1. Keep cloth bags in the backseat of your car. Never without again! When groceries are unpacked, return directly to the car or hang on the doorknob that leads to the car.

    2. https://zerowastecartel.com/products/cotton-mesh-bags This website has lots of ideas!

    3. Start compost NOW! Choose a space in your backyard you don't mind turning into a heap. I literally just toss everything on the pile and turn it twice a year with a pitchfork. Every other year it feeds my garden beds. No bins, no frames, no fuss.

    4. https://www.today.com/home/how-clean-your-home-using-only-2-ingredients-t16236 You can clean anything with ingredients from your kitchen. Not only will this take you green, you will save a TON of money.

    5. I don't mess with the beeswax sheets. Add a few containers to your kitchen or wash what you need between dishwasher runs.

    6. At work in the kitchen, we had a bag hanging from the bulletin board. In it went folks plastic bags they didn't want to reuse. These were available for dog-walkers to take. Reuse before garbage can. Newspaper bags are great! Ask any paper subscribers to bring you theirs? My work took 2 copies so when weather was wet, we had bags to add!

    7. Yea for thrift store shopping first! I hit 2 b4 I buy anything.

    This is what I've learned over 35 years of "greening" our lifestyle. I hope you find my tips easy to incorporate into your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tips-some come more naturally than others. I can have a bag right under my nose, or even in my hand. I'll get distracted, set it down, and then forget it.

      Delete
    2. OK, you made me laugh! The habit will come :-)

      Delete
  8. Old sheer curtains make great produce bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting-I don't have any but maybe there will be some in a thrift store.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.