Friday, April 17, 2020

My Non Working Hours

     I realized yesterday, part of why I am working so long is it is an easy way to fill the days. My home isn't well cleaned and organized not for lack of time, but lack of ambition to do it. Of course some of my lack of ambition might be long hours trying to help mitigate the impact of the health crisis in the early childhood sector. I hope I never hear caring for young children is babysitting and child care is too expensive ever again. There's more time needed to figure out creative solutions to the new way of  doing my job, while still keeping standard tasks and deliverables going and completed and accurate. It kind of creates a cycle for me, and I still end up doing the bare minimum around the house. My commuting time has been filled with a few extra hours of work each day. My evenings are filled with a  lot of mindless, and some mindful streaming. I've gotten a little too sucked into social media a truly bad habit I need to kick immediately. 

     This week was not a good exercise week, mostly because it was so cold and I have a seasonal cold. I didn't go to the river or falls for long walks, though I did use my hand weights a bit more. I am so impressed with my daughters results of her ab crunch routine, though admittedly, I doubt I could even give it 10%. A show choir mom, who teaches yoga and other classes through the Y has been posting low impact exercise videos targeted to women over 50. Yes, that's me. Let me see if I can be diligent and actually put an appointment on my calendar for these-that would help get me away from the computer during the day, and help tone me up. I'll let you know if I am successful. Minimally, we have two full weeks as part of the stay at home order. That's 300 minutes of exercise I could get in.

     Here's a few things I have done this week when not working.
  • Joined DD1's old trivia team from Wisconsin for a remote Pub Quiz. I can see why she had a good time with them. 
  • With my Trivia group, I've posted the days five trivia questions, and then the answers next day. Go to Triviamafia.com to get daily e-mails with lots of trivia opportunities. 
  • Cooked a few new recipes, like beer bead and a new pizza crust (though am going back to my version)
  • Shopped for us and my mother-in-law. I've gone on Tuesday's for her and on weekend for us, but so that I only have to do one shop, I'll switch to Tuesday for us both. She's been giving me her list Sunday night or Monday, as she then knows what she has run out of or is low on. Stopping on Tuesday early evening is a good pint to check on her and make sure she is doing OK.
  • Made my own Clorox wipes with coffee filters and bleach-thanks Belinda at Frugal Workshop for the idea. I actually just used a diluted bleach mix, following the guidelines, and only mixed up enough for 50 as that what would fit in a cottage cheese container. I'll need to put my cleaning gloves on when I use as the solution is strong, but I also rigged up putting a few in a ziplock bag, with a second bag, that I then can use as an impromptu glove so I have some with me at all times to wipe down other things I might come in contact with. 

     Pretty much, nothing going on outside of work when it is cold and I am sick of staying at home and sick of cold.  I hope to do better over the weekend. To launch the weekend, tonight at 5:53, our classical public radio station, MPR,  is hosting All Sing, using Carol Kings, You've Got a Friend. I have absolutely nothing else on my calendar and it might be fun to see if anyone else on my cul de sac joins in. What have you done or will be doing to break up your stay at home? Are you maximizing any new time for projects, organizing, or cleaning? How do you find the motivation?

19 comments:

  1. We’ve been home for over a month and I’m starting to flounder. I’ve cleaned some hotspots, painted my daughter’s room, done yard work when I could, done puzzles, lots of cooking and baking. On the flip side, I spend too much time on my phone, too much time snacking and sitting. I just need to get moving but it’s so hard! Our middle school teachers did a drive by parade with some fire trucks and police yesterday so that was a nice distraction (though of course some cranky people complained about “the noise” on social media). I adore Carole King’s music. She’s such a talent! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have good intentions at the start of the week, and by Sunday night I'm wondering where the days went.

      Delete
  2. When I was working on another degree, DH was home with my then toddler kids. A contractor who was doing some work in our home at the time referred to DH as "babysitting," and I couldn't hold my tongue!
    I am sure you know I am not a fan of either daycare, or pre-school--I think (other things equal) kids need to be home with their parents in those early, formative years. Pro choice to the tips of my toes, I believe if you choose to have kids, you choose to bear the responsibility of caring for them. That said, I see my neighbor, an essential worker, with her brood, one who is in early elementary years, and I can't help but empathize with those workers who are struggling with childcare in this situation. The best laid plans... Not only do they need to provide a safe place for their kids, those with elementary age kids and older now have the onus of supervising daily schoolwork. (Beloved neighbor's DH is now furloughed, but as he said, if he wanted to be an elementary school teacher, he would have earned his degree in that, not engineering.)
    If anything, maybe this period in history will make each of us understand just how valuable our time is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While not being able to work from home occasionally was the reason I handed in my notice and retired early, there is always the danger with working from home that you are NEVER off duty. It's a dangerous task master. Good luck with breaking free from that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one thing that will come from this is the realization that so much work can be done from any setting and done well. Even some of the die hard "only office, only face and seat time" managers are understanding a productive person is productive wherever they do the work-likewise an unproductive person.

      Delete
  4. Piping up again to share a conversation I had with another neighbor and dear friend which you might find interesting. A pediatric OT, k-12 homeschooler, whose two children are now both in their senior years of college (elder one took the 5 year plan for a double major in physics/engineering) she posed the question: After this is a mere memory, how many of these parents will simply decide to go forward with homeschooling? As it was, several districts were moving the h.s. closer and closer to virtual learning, paperless curriculum, leaving the teachers as little more than proctors in many classes. Discipline referrals have increased markedly in those districts. As for the early elementary students, for several years, our district has required an OT be on staff (5 years ago it was 1 for the district, now it is 1 OT per school). She is finding that as kinesthetic learning diminishes, more and more students are getting referred for her to do with them all those things a teacher would have done (ie: proper pencil grip, eye tracking exercises) as matter of course 5 years ago. Anyway, this will be an interesting thing to track, won't it?
    Meanwhile, our cafeteria workers are out every day, at various pickup locations, serving grab and go lunches for all 0 - 18 year old residents, regardless of need. I haven't been by with my brood yet, but the supervisor, who is a friend and neighbor, has said that many of the parents in town will pack up the kids in strollers and bikes and swing by simply because that is the only time during the day they get out and about to see people! Not sure how the rural areas are doing, but she said that in walkable locations, they serve over 100/day! Hats off to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some things I have done and others I have let go or found excuse after excuse to not do them. Why? Dunno!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to find the energy and motivation to work in my garden and just to water herbs on the front porch. This lack of energy is not new. Motivation for me depends on the energy to get up and do it. When I actually do feel good and do anything, exhaustion after 3 minutes sets in. It seems we go for a ride at least every other day to keep the doldrums away. The doldrums are caused by this dark house where I am not allowed to open curtains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get outside as much as you can! Does the sunlight hurt Tommy's eyes?

      Delete
    2. Nice to have windows and a roof though! Remember to be grateful!! Stay positive!!

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't worry about what you are not getting done, unlike many your job is in overdrive in your home which tends to take over your life, even if you don't have commute time. Your down time should be just that! Funny thing about house cleaning, the dirt will still be there when you are ready to get to it. We keep hearing about all these people who've run out of things to watch on netflix but our life is just as busy as normal right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right-It takes 1 minutes to clean my bath tube once a week, as it does every other day. I just will take a bath less often and stick to a shower.

      Delete
  8. I'm doing my best to get moving a half hour each day...so far so good - but could improve that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little increments seem more doable-thank you for the reminder to just do something.

      Delete
  9. Set a timer for a few minutes....you'll be surprised at what you can get through cleaning wise. As a cleaner by trade these days the most important bits are to make sure the kitchen and bathroom are reasonably hygienic! The rest can be done as and when with everyone taking their fair share. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've got lots of little tricks, and my house is staying tidyish. It's the big deep projects where nothing has happened. I agree the other beings could take a bigger role. I'm surprised how much homework my daughter has had. It's like the work has increased to help with their social distancing.

      Delete
  10. If you google Pahla b on YouTube she has lots of workouts “for women over fifty” I enjoy them because they breakdown how best to lose weight and shape up a fifty year old body. She talks a lot though, no music in the background. I’ve done her for a few years and they are nice and quick. No, more fifty minute workouts for this lady 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At my age, I don't need a lot of extra music. Thanks for the suggestion-nothing 50 minute here either.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.