Saturday, April 4, 2020

Saturday's Run Down of Use It Up Kitchen

     Good morning. I'm a bit later this morning-let myself sleep in, after being up way too late last night. We had our first major internet/distance learning snafue with DD2 having worked hours and hours on a speech, several recordings and then couldn't get it uploaded or e-mailed and was due by midnight. She got creative, but not without a major anxiety and panic attack, while I helped by driving to McDonalds so we had two options to upload. Well, I ended up getting it via YouTube while she figured something out at home, so now he has two options to review. Thank you McDonald's for having great WIFI that works from outside in the pull up bay!  I'm also a bit later as I wanted to get a start on a few household things so did a quick clean of the bathroom, got a load of towels started and whipped up a batch of muffins. The muffins are my launch place for this post. 



     I would rather not have to go to the grocery store anymore than needed. I'm trying very hard to maximize anything fresh or already opened before using up a lot of unopened pantry items. The muffins were made because I had just under a cup of plain yogurt to use up. This was a carton with a April 4th date, but bought originally in early March for curry when DD2 was home for break-the intentional break. On Wednesday I also made another batch of curry, which she and I ate for supper, and she ate the next two days for lunch. The muffins were just  universal muffin  recipe, sugar, eggs, oil, yogurt in place of milk, flour, and oats. I used hefty amounts of various fall spice, cinnamon, nut meg, all spice, and ginger, and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top before baking. 

     Besides the curry, which used two large carrots, two smallish potatoes, a zucchini, and the reminder  half of an onion, we used up other items. Lurking in the freezer was pita bread, which was the base for a couple personal  pizzas for Wednesday lunch, using more of that same onion that went into the curry, the last of a tomato, some frozen, but thawing spinach, and a bit of mozzarella and parmesan. . I opened a jar of sauce, but that went in the crockpot layered with the rest of a box of rotini pasta, the other zucchini, the rest of the frozen spinach, and a few halved cherry tomatoes on top. I heavily sparkled garlic and Italian seasoning each layer of sauce, pasta, and vegetables. I should have taken a picture because it looked and tasted very fresh with the addition of the tomatoes. Salad was more of the iceberg from Sunday's BLT's lunch, olives, and cherry tomatoes. 



     I did another cottage pie, using the last pork chop, cut in very small pieces, and remaining corn from Sunday night's supper. I added  a bunch, cut in half, of meatballs from the bag of meatballs I opened for Tuesday, some diced potatoes, and green beans, though canned. This used up the last of a box of instant mashed potatoes. Between leftover cottage pie and pasta, lunch is set. 

     Today, I'll need to use the last few pieces of DH's chicken in some sort of dish. I was thinking maybe fried rice to use up the last of a bag of frozen vegetables, and the two eggs from the older carton. There are two egg rolls in the freezer, DH and DD2 can have those, and I'll have more salad. Our daughter wants to make some sort of egg, potatoes, and tomato dish, so we'll turn the kitchen over to her tomorrow for brunch, and that will use up the last of the tomatoes, and leave us with just 1/2 carton of eggs, and maybe a couple potatoes. We're eating well, but yeah, the fresh stuff will be depleted by the end of the weekend. 

     Have you gotten more creative with using up fresh stuff to ensure it all is used? Are any old recipes, like I've gone to like universal muffins, making a come back in your kitchen?

20 comments:

  1. I had a can of pineapple in the pantry which was just bothering me, so I turned into a pie from an old basic custard pie recipe: Eggs sour cream, vanilla, sugar, flour, salt and whatever drained canned fruit. The pie crust was from a box found weeks ago at our Grocery Outlet for $0.48. Typically I make my own pie crusts, but I couldn't say no when I spotted them at that price. I have several boxed cake mixes found at the same store for $0.50, and plain yogurt at $0.08 (past its best by date the day I purchased it.) I will probably fall back on a basic doctored cake mix recipe later in the week to use those up--either in double chocolate muffins, or a chocolate Bundt cake. The remaining yogurt will make its way into a chicken paprika. We have lots of eggs, because before the "Stay Home, Stay Safe" recommendation, I bought six dozen for $0.75/dozen, knowing that if I didn't, the kids would decide they want to color them for Easter! Either way, we'll have deviled eggs at Easter, and egg salad later in the week. getting quite long in the tooth. This situation really hasn't changed my cooking style much at all, probably because I've been cooking from the same limited repertoire for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oldish yogurt works well in baked goods, doesn't it? A bit of a cheesecake texture.

      Delete
  2. Yes, every meal seems to be "how to use up that bit". I am trying to cook less quantity though so less leftovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few leftovers are good, as that works for my daughter and me. DHS is eating his chicken wraps almost daily. He texted me to see about ice cream and frozen pizza if I do go to a store today. Silly man!

      Delete
  3. You're being very creative with your leftovers - anything to delay the inevitable food shop!
    Those muffins look lovely, I haven't made any in ages.
    I've never been to a McDonalds but they all closed in the UK a fortnight ago, there were queues for miles as people were determined to have their last burger! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take out/drive through's are still open, but I literally just parked close to borrow the WIFI. It was eerily empty through the whole town-11:30 on a Saturday night should normally be so busy with al the people out at bars and restaurants.

      Delete
  4. That was good thinking driving out to McDonald's. I'm sure I wouldn't have thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought of Dunn brothers,coffee house which was closer but they use a simple password I can't remember. I've killed time with coffee at McD's so knew it should work.

      Delete
  5. We've been more creative for sure. I also look around before lunch & come up with ideas of what I want the other three diners to eat, so I'm able to influence more of the lunch decisions these days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is both picky and not if that makes sense?Curry, will eat three days in a row. Homemade soup,bored next day. There's always apples and peanut butter.

      Delete
  6. Would you share your actual recipe for the muffins? They sound delish and I like the ideas of all the spices. I could use some variety. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I modify to what I have. I used two eggs because I forgot original recipe was one, but basically its the Tightwad Gazette universal muffin recipe.
      I found this link. I use a variation but this generally works. My spices were roughly 2 tsps cinnamon and 3/4 or tsp (I just shake little jar on to flour) of nutmeg, all spice, and ginger.
      https://www.eatingisimportant.com/home/the-universal-muffin-in-appreciation-of-amy-dacyczyn

      Delete
  7. Your reinvented leftovers look and sound very good. I have become a master at using things that might normally get shoved to the back of the fridge before I toss them out. I am even saving all my veggie scraps and making veggie broth though I have no idea what I will be using it for. Maybe to soak or cook dried beans in for a little additional flavor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saved chicken juice too. I wonder if still good from Monday as I didn't freeze?

      Delete
  8. I spent a lot of y time this week in the kitchen too, being creative. It's great that you have McDonald's to use their WiFi if needed. We also have that option if we need to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say she procrastinated, but she is not a fast home work doer, and things always take longer than she intends, and no buffer for technology errors. Hopefully this is the last issue-but I doubt it.

      Delete
  9. Has your local library extended wifi into parking lot? Ours has, even though it's closed. I had to use it once last week when mine went down.parking lot busy with folks sitting in cars using their laptops! Could be a backup for you if McD fails sometime. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe-I didn't even think of the library-that was a more likely option. Thank you for that reminder.

      Delete
  10. Good for you! I too am trying to maximize what's already at home before running out to find more. Part of me feels good about it; another part feels I should be always doing it not just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how folks might change. Not being around after WWI, did people keep the mentality of rationing post war? You wouldn't know either directly, but born in late 1965, I feel like even my childhood was so much more focused on using what we had better than how I raised my kids.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.