Friday, May 15, 2020

Lotsa Hosta

     While not to everyone's yard and garden taste, I like clusters of Hosta plants, I think the shape of the leaves, the shades of the green, add a lushness to yards and gardens. It is one of the many plants I've tried to get planted around my mail box that have been victims of either squirrels and rabbits, or my husbands lawn mower. Not this time! I have some compostable weed blocking sheet coming to use for the vegetable garden, but also to create a small area around my mail box. I'm going to start with  four clusters around the box, and added up to  eight depending on how thick I want them to start. I know if successful, they;ll have to be split sooner if I go with the larger number, but I'll not think about that yet. Getting them to survivor is my first chore.

     My oldest brother's wife is a tiny little women, younger than her  71 years  in body and spirit. She has been keeping herself busy on the nice days working  in her yard, cleaning out little plant areas, and even though I was going to go over an split the hostas, she wanted the activity. She put dozens in each of these two big plant pots, they are really close together and deceiving how many are in each planter. Never mind the bike and the dandelions and weeds-those are getting pulled this weekend as well.


    
     I haven't quite decided where else I will put them, and I have more coming as my niece, her daughter, is going to be thinning hers. A friend offered me  stuff from her yard as well, including other perennials that I don't know, but will keep me busy learning about. Monday starts our loosened stay at home, and while we will spread out for the work, perhaps this week we can meet up in her back yard for a digging and splitting gathering. Noise and glare make it difficult to actually work outside for long period of time, but come evening and weekends, I want to be outside.So many bloggers have me excited to see their latest posts because they are sharing pictures of their outdoor space. I don't have the skill or patience to create the wonderful spaces so many other have, I think little pops of more green, more sprucing up, and  pops of color with a few annual flowers will make my outdoor space more inviting to me. What all this working form home, stay at home time has taught me is that my home, in and outdoors, needs to be a place that feels like a respite.

19 comments:

  1. I love hosta plants. I have them sprinkled in pots around the backyard. I need to split a couple of them soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did start thinking that maybe I would leave some for just pots as I get more donations from family and friends. What do you do over winter? Do you bring them inside, and do they come back fresh?

      Delete
  2. I'm not super familiar with hostas. We have a ton of flowers & plants around our yard, and I'm still working on removing our ivy infestation. My back has been bothering me, so it's on a brief hiatus right now.

    My sad plant news it that the plant marked as cilantro (I have the tag & everything) is actually parsley. It's huge. Parsley is fine, but we needed cilantro, & had recipes planned & everything. Guess I'll need to pivot to more Italian themed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, flat leaf parsley and cilantro do look surprisingly alike don't they!

      Delete
    2. I'm going to look in the produce section for Herb plants. Thank you for the reminder. I love the look of fresh herbs growing. I'm one of the cilantro intolerant people-tastes soapy, but my family loves it as part of seasoning.

      Delete
  3. YES!! I fully agree that we should endeavor to make our homes a respite--otherwise why bother having one? Of course, that may look different in your home than my home. One thing that I feel badly about for many in this situation is the elimination of work-school/home boundary. But, I am not sure many people are as protective of that as I am. Perhaps we'll see that change in light of this?
    You know I'm not a fan of hostas, but they do great in shady, wooded areas in our region. I think my dislike of them came from seeing them in the southwest under pretty much every single tree in every front yard. They are shade loving plants, by the way. In any case, a friend gave me some Solomon's Seal tubers for the shaded strip in front of my front porch that my contractor poured as a gift for me, specifically with hostas in mind, not knowing my dislike of the plant. After three weeks of planting those tubes, they are about 2 feet tall, and have blossomed, looking almost like an exotic Dicentra (Bleeding Heart.) I've seen honeybess in the blossoms as well, so my view of hostas has changed somewhat.
    My favorite garden success in this place has been the Foxgloves I dug up from our woods last year, and planted in my north facing flower bed before we moved in. They have multiplied wonderfully, making a gorgeous border on that side of the house, plus, honeybees love them! In front of the Floxgloves I have some Astillbe which will give a pop of color later in the season. In front of that I put Violet odorata, and Vinca major, which are making a nice, lush groundcover in that bed. Funny--I was so worried about what to do in that area, as it's full shade, but it seems to be doing the best of all my beds!
    I said I wasn't going to spend any money on annuals other than 4 inch pots to plant in my hanging baskets, but our Rite Aid had the most beautiful "Dream" petunias, so I bought a flat. I also found a pack of multicolored Nasturtium seeds for the pots on the south facing patio off of our master bedroom.
    Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten I have a small trellis-it had gotten covered by the e overgrown raspberry bushes. If you have a recommendation for a perennial that loves to grow and wind, and does well in extreme hot and cold weather, please share! My sister-in-law offered me up a small peony plant as well. I want to think about where I will put it. I love them, but don't want to kill it before I've even started.

      Delete
  4. I had rows of Hosta beside my carport. Then, two years ago I had less. Finally, last year, all the Hosta were gone. The only thing I could figure was the ground squirrels had eaten them. Finally, I only had one pot of Hosta I kept on a table. Then, the neighbors stole it. So, I have Hosta bulbs to put in pots. Before, someone gave me plants they separated. No one around here have Hosta. I am quite sure what you plant will look very nice. You cannot lose with Hosta, imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could lose-I have so many times! I just love how my brother and sister-in-laws yard looks. So many little retreat areas. They have a 150+ year old house and have lived there for 40 years, and her yard is her place of joy.

      Delete
  5. Hostas are lovely, so nice you've been given some. I think everyone is trading and sharing plants this year, such a good idea. My strawberries seem pretty prolific even in containers so next Spring I think I am going to separate them and give some away, they just keep multiplying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was a case of just ask! I had so many offers that now I'm trying to think where else I want some of these to go. What a lovely gift for someone-strawberry plants! I did salvage a couple of the raspberry stalks, not sure if they will produce but I'm going to clean up around them and give them a year or two to try.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love hostas, they are my favorite filler plant for garden beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they make a yard look homey and inviting. That
      s what I am going for.

      Delete
  7. Your hostas are lovely. I have some more to transplant to the new beds- some are currently in pots, and some at the allotment are large enough to split and bring home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how your new garden corner is coming along. It feels like a bit of giving back to nature to split and transplant and get a whole new growth of the plants.

      Delete
  8. I love hostas! My mom had beautiful variegated ones and she gave me some when I got my first house in PA. I split it every year and made a magnificent trail of them all along my driveway. When I sold that house, I dug some out to take with me and did the same at my next house. It grew so well up north, but I can't keep it alive in Alabama. It's too hot. I also miss forsythia, lilacs and rhododendrons. I don't see many tulips here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still disappointed that we did not put lilacs in 29 years ago. We were fund limited, and went for pines and a few apple trees that didn't make it. Now, since we don't have them, I really try and enjoy my walks and seeing my neighbors lilacs.

      Delete
  9. I love hostas, I have hosta envy now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little cluster is a far cry form the lush garden you have. But, It will get there, little by little.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.