Friday, May 22, 2020

Personal Decisions

     With the easing up of stay at home restrictions in Minnesota, I have some decisions to make about how much and how quickly I feel comfortable increasing interaction. I shared that DH's work extended hours. I expect he has more person to person interaction than he is letting me know. and darn well has increased the risk he's going to come in contact with someone with the virus, and then bring it home. My sister has invited  us all out to her place. While we can safely distance as she has plenty of outdoor space and even her indoor space is large, it seem like a big jump since last weekend and only your immediate household. I'm more unsettled about going to the cabin even just for a day. I may go up on Sunday, and see the state of how others are handling the shared space. There's a lot of door handles, sharing of bathrooms, and kitchen going on there.

     My brother-in-law and sister-in-law have a much more, "We clean up when we leave" approach, than was supposed to be the norms for the cabin. My niece told my daughter last weekend when she was there with that part of the family, something along the lines of there are different opinions on the seriousness of the situation, and seemed concerned. She's the niece expecting a baby. I know he got very defensive a few weeks ago about not being able to follow his kids and clean  up after them. These are not people who are unclean or dirty, they just let loose when they are in fun mode coupled with being very self absorbed. They act to what they think is or is not fact. If they don't believe the risk of spreading the virus has merit, I can't see them doing much to make sure they aren't spreading it other than basic handwashing. I can have my hand sanitizer with me at all times, stay a room away or outside I suppose. I'd rather figure out times to spend with just my family for this summer, though with everyone's vacation plans gone, no summer sports tournaments, I suspect they'll be there every weekend and during the week. 

     I've almost given up on my mother-in-law and taking any responsibility for her welfare in exposure risk. On Tuesday when I dropped off her groceries she shared she went to a friends for brunch and it was so nice being with people and seeing them again. After probably seeing the look in my eyes, she added they were all outside and it was just six of them. Now I highly doubt they stayed outside late morning in Minnesota in May, as this is the lady that won't sit outside at the lake for more than an hour before it's too windy, or hot, or cold. When she asked if we would be up at the cabin and I said I really don't know yet if I am comfortable, she said,  well, we need to keep living our lives. She's 79! She also said she could probably start getting her own groceries again. I left her with, it's up to you, but I'm fine to keep doing it. Here's the thing about facts. It's hard to prove causation and particularly with something that didn't happen. We won't know if me shopping for her the past eight weeks was a reason she hasn't become ill. My guess is my BIL, who was pretty much apathetic about her shopping for herself, would say, "see, mom s fine-you were over reacting." Well if I was, so were the hundreds of thousands of other sons, daughters, and their spouses trying to help their elderly parents avoid exposure, and with success. How many that lost a loved one wish they could have done something different?

     As for the cabin, I do want to test if I can access internet and phone and perhaps work some part days there. What I'd like to be able to do is go up on a Sunday when others are preparing to leave, work a half day on both Monday and Tuesday, and basically unwind a bit from being stuck at home for so long. I have a floating holiday that needs to be used by June 30 and I accrue a day a pay period so to do this all summer long would only use six vacation days. Add some full days in there as well, and I'll still end summer with over six weeks banked. I'll let you know what I decide. Last weekend was the all hell broke loose at the bars in Wisconsin. I'd sort of like to wait out what the impact was in cases in another week. That's my thoughts heading into the weekend. How about all of you?

17 comments:

  1. Families aren't easy are they. We all have our different ways of doing things and our different "tolerances" but to hear you say that your BIL "can't pick up after his kids" is a bit worrying especially if the "kids" are now expecting their own kids. Good luck though. I think it would be nice to work from the lake place occasionally, just for a change of air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is my BIL that is a lot younger than my husband-not the sibling expecting their first grandchild. Still, his youngest are 9 years old, and they certainly can pick up after them selves, not leave their wet towels and swimsuits on the floors/bathroom, and know they don't come without heading right to wash their hands. There can be rules about keeping beverages outside in coolers so people aren't going in and out all day, continuing to touch things. the biggest worry I have is the number of times people are at the lake and "don't feel well." It drives me nuts not in a pandemic!

      Delete
  2. We're on the cusp as well of everyone starting to relax restrictions. Which, is okay, if people take precautions. We're still going to be very cautious on our side, and ensure we are reducing risk as much as possible.

    It's a difficult decision, but in your shoes, I'd avoid being at the cabin with others who aren't taking things seriously & aren't particularly clean/sanitary on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the mess they leave with wet towels, swimsuits, shared bathrooms etc. To me, it would be nothing for shared spaced like the kitchen and bathroom, there is a quick re-clean of all surfaces before and after use. It's the attitude that frustrates me that his family should not share in the responsibility.

      Delete
  3. I think you are right, these are personal decisions, and you can only make them for yourself, not others. Virus aside, If others are putting you in a place where you feel uncomfortable, for whatever reason, then you have every right to stay away, no need to explain, just as they have every right to go about their lives as they see fit, with no need to give you any explanations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I might agree 100% with you, but when it comes to space that is supposed to be for the whole family, no, they shouldn't have a right to go about their lives in any way they see fit. What if I reversed it? How about if he doesn't feel his family can follow the recommended basic health protocols, they stay away? It would never go like that though-the loud and tough always get their way. It's similar to my intolerance with these macho/self important anti-mask people. Live how you want, but if a business wants to follow what they believe will keep their employees and customers safe and request all wear a mask, don't be an ass hat and insist it's a constitutional right to not wear one. This pandemic has brought out the truly selfish-and I'm not talking about those that want their business to open quicker to protect their livelihood. I'm talking about people they confuse inconvenienced with oppressed.

      Delete
    2. As I commented to Anne, you are both probably right. I can only do what we think is best for us. I think I'm just sensitive that this is just one more example of his brother dictating the terms, and everyone else just go along with it, or staying away.

      Delete
  4. I'm on the conservative side. I'm going g to wait til things have been open 3 weeks and let others be test cases. Then it will be small family only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my thought as well, but maybe a touch broader. In MN, it's using the phrase turning a dial, not flipping a switch. Sadly we are seeing evidence where in some places when the dial was turned too fast, the cases and hospitalization increased even faster than it was originally starting to. I'm sort of watching parts of Wisconsin as a similar view to Minnesota.

      Delete
  5. It seems it should not be all about things touched. The virus is spread by inhaling, too. You could clean before you touch things, but controlling where the virus floats and where you can inhale it. I think I would stay away from people who are oblivious to the present health concerns you and a lot of the country have right now.

    This seems like it would be a stressful visit besides dangerous! I have no tolerance for people who are not mindful of my concerns for my health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is both, but I agree it is the airborne that you have less control over being in contact with.this might be a good weekend to stay safe, see how the next week develops, particularly with WI as our test neighbor (though I know that mnay MN people crossed to WI so they could go to bars.

      Delete
  6. It is weird but most of my blogging friends have the same attitude, better safe than sorry. I find it difficult that some friends and even family have a different attitude, sounds like you have the same issue. As for your MIL, she is an adult, you were only trying to protect her - but it is not your responsibility if she doesn't take things serious. You can only protect yourself and your inner family circle, perhaps its time to concentrate only on them and stay away if you feel that is what you want to do. Hugs, none of this is easy. It is just all so political(family) even when politics isn't directly involved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so immersed in the data, and modeling, and so just can't be non-chalant about it. I just find it utter foolish that people would question the intent of a Gov wanting to move cautiously. Of course if they felt it was safe to move forward they would-they have nothing to gain by slowing their economy for no reason. you are absolutely right about my MIL-I've been doing what I can, and if she feels safe now, then who am I to say otherwise. Heaven forbid she get's sick, home bound or worse, hospitalized, my BIL better step up and take over.

      Delete
  7. I tend to agree with Meg. If you are uncomfortable with the extended family's attitude and the way they do things makes you uncomfortable then don't go. I personally would not go and I would let them all know why I was staying away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are both probably right. I am probably not being fair labeling them as selfish. I'm annoyed though as original rules they all came up with together about wet towels, trails of snacks, etc. in normal years, that go out the window with this guy as well.

      Delete
  8. I agree with you. I'm in Wisconsin, and it has been the wild west since the court threw out the Gov restrictions. I am now in stay at home, self isolated mode even more than before. We can never prove that our actions worked to help flatten the curve. I am not going anywhere now! Celie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, there will only be proof of wrong actions. I hope you stay well.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.