Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Not So Positively Tuesday-Battling Covid Fatigue

     Depending on  where I look, and what I am doing, at times, the world looks normal. If I leave the house, I grab my keys my phone, my wallet-perfectly normal Oh yes, then I need to make sure I have hand sanitizer and a clean mask. When we are all home, I wash said masks each day and back in each of our pile. So very not normal. I battle with my husband bringing  his masks to me to get washed. I tell him he need to think about them like underwear. He wasn't pleased with my analogy.  It's not that he's rebelling; he just doesn't think about it, even though he needs to wear his mask inside at work, though I know they are often  not unless a customer is with them. 

     Fortunately my nephews came back negative, which meant they were not possible carriers to my MIL, or other family members unknowingly. Sadly though, it seems to have confirmed  their view in their family that the whole covid is nothing, which means we'll be less likely to spend time at the cabin when they are there, as they will continue to do their own thing, with little regards to those of us trying to keep cautious. I'm hearing of weddings and graduation parties, that perhaps smaller, are still going ahead, and college and military send off gatherings. There's a forced normal happening as those would say, we just need to get on with life. 

     The anti maskers are full of hate on Twitter, attacking all governors that put measures in place like masks and restaurant requirements. They virtually scream it isn't about health, it's about control. I find that utterly  stupid as with all the things in  a state or country to try and control, forcing people to wear a mask is going to be the tool a fascist ruler uses? OK. So thousands of countries are pooled their collective fascism together and invented a story around a common cold gone rogue, all in the name of getting people to wash their hands more frequently and wear masks. Governors are called murderers for opening schools in person. putting money and the economy  over lives. Governors are called lying liberals if they require schools to open with a distance learning model only. An action has equal parts venom and sugar, with healthy over the top sentiments of both. 

     I'm so tired of it all, and no escape really. I have done well to stay off any negative or riling posts on Facebook. I try and scroll past Twitter, but admittedly, get sucked in a bit. I can't avoid completely as part of my job, but I must do better following only the things I need to follow. I'm wore out from work, and trying to think of every scenario and making a plan for it, knowing whatever we decide, no matter how detailed it was researched, debated, and coordinated, it will be met with anger over going to far or not far enough. I know  no one will be happy-it's just a matter of who is pissed off the most and how vocal they are. I can't control any of that, so need to focus  on managing my own  fatigue to the situation-writing out this post is an effort to do so. I woke up with a major case of Covid fatigue, but no, like others, I just need to get on with my day, while hoping there will be days to come that are truly normal. 

Edit: I popped over to yesterdays post to read and reply to comments. I feel a bit better having looked at the sunflowers again, and the sunny comments from you all. It made my day.

Edit 2: Thank you all for the comments, which reassured me I am not alone in my thoughts and experience. 


15 comments:

  1. I agree, I’m exhausted from it all. I’ve banned myself from twitter, for at least a few days and will probably extend that to Instagram as well since I’m not on there much at all. I’ve all but quit watching the news. Our school is holding fast with 5 day a week instruction but has deemed freshman orientation unsafe and will hold it virtually. Makes no sense. I would feel better if we were going only two days a week like nearly every other district around us but I do believe they will implement it before we start so I’m trying not to stress over it. My daughter would prefer to just stay home but is worried about backlash from her peers since we live in a community that isn’t taking things as serious. We’ve had low numbers and the majority wear masks but aren’t happy about it. More and more political signs are popping up. My work keeps flip flopping on us enforcing mask policies, now they say we can’t say anything to customers, probably a result of an employee somewhere in the chain being abused or threatened. It’s really the inconsistency and the unknown that weigh me down and my foggy glasses are driving me nuts! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish people would take masks seriously!!! Even if you cannot stop seeing your immediate family and close friends, skip out on the restaurant eating, parties and crowded beach trips. Things are NOT normal man, this is not about gov't control. All it shows me is that many Americans are so selfish, they will only think of themselves and cannot put the greater good of others in their line of sight at ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Covid fatigue is exactly what it is isn't it. The sad thing is that this has hit in an election year for the US so in addition to all the usual muck-slinging they're rabble-rousing about covid also. But I think you have the right attitude and your nephews are foolish (because they're young and invincible of course). I think it'll take a few of their contemporaries getting sick (or worse) for them to realize it's potentially very serious indeed - it's the young people that are starting to up the numbers right now. Either way, it's a battle you can't win on FB or wherever. People will think/believe/do what they think is right for them - until it's proven that they were wrong sadly. Chin up lass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am like you and am tired of trying so hard when other people are doing absolutely nothing to stop it. Except for a fast trip to the grocery store I am basically homebound, in my yard, or in my car. I resent those who are keeping me confined by their inaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are inundated by family of right wingers in southern Idaho that think Covid is a conspiracy. It drives me crazy. One more reason for us to avoid them at all cost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is all very tiring. Other than reading a few blogs, I'm not on social media at all, yet I feel bombarded by the news. Like Anne, I also resent those who keep me confined. I don't understand why so many deny this or just don't care. Best wishes to you getting thru all this, hopefully without too much negativity. Celie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are not alone in your COVID fatigue. You know that I have been dealing with it recently as well. I am trying to do things that I can control to fight it like drinking more water, trying to get outside, cutting back on snacking, cutting down on the amount of time I am on social media, etc. Just know that you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's difficult to get away from it and can get very stressful. I try to sidestep the media as much as possible whilst keeping an eye on any new steps brought in. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on this. What I do is if I have a friend or family member on facebook that is constantly spouting the conspiracy theory rhetoric then I just snooze them for 30 days and when they pop back up and they are still spouting I snooze them again. Eventually I hope this dies down and I can continue being friends with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my neck of the woods, people do not think it is a conspiracy but, they are rather ignorant about it. They think, it can't be that bad and masks are uncomfortable. Also, we are talking about a society who had no idea about personal space to begin with, let alone social distance. Rolling my eyes... Today has been an annoying day for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am just annoyed, not fatigued. I cannot stand to see people in a store without a mask. I am impressed that some people take the family out, all with masks! People in grocery store where I shop seem for the most part to take the mask wearing seriously. Schools going back to normal hours makes me sad and angry. My children would not go back to school. As exhausted as I am from my health problems, I cannot imagine further fatigue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I deleted Facebook off of my phone, and don't have Twitter or Instagram. I also deleted almost all of the news sites (kept one). I can't do it. It's so draining & dealing with a pandemic, and all of the changes & people acting crazy makes things super hard. Like Anne, I'm resentful that I'm taking it seriously and as a result of foolish behavior of others, we will all be trapped at home indefinitely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, when my DH was in the U.K. working, he mentioned he wanted to go to Hampton Court Palace, (I think) and told a co-worker it would be a short train ride from where they were, half an hour, tops. Well, it was longer than he predicted by about 30 minutes. When they finally got there, his British coworker said "That's a bloody American half-hour for you. No wonder you thought the war started in 1941!" I feel that way about COVID 19. It was inconvenient for Americans to address it, so they ignored, and are ignoring, the truth, which allows it to rage on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Until I return to work in September everything is mostly 'normal' for me too, other than wearing my mask when I visit the supermarket or farm shop. This pandemic has definitely brought out the best and worst in people and I have tried my best to avoid the negative side of things on social media. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with everything you wrote. I am working closely with people who either don't wear a mask, wear it under their nose, or keep touching it and then touching other things right afterwards. I'm doomed! One of them makes fun of me for wearing mine all day or because I keep my distance from people. Grrrr. If I die from Covid, I'm so going to haunt her from the great beyond.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.