Friday, September 11, 2020

Friday W's from Chez Sam

      


     There is so much going on in the world right now and I am deeply in thought about it, but my world seems rather small. I have built a cocoon around myself this week of interacting with very few people in person, along with the incidental contact when doing my in and out quick shopping. I am OK with this though, as after last weekend, I know I don't want my internal panic attacks to rebound when I have means to control, mostly by avoiding situations that are stressful. I'm a little nervous about expanding my outside bubble tomorrow when we go to a marching band show. It is outside and only about 20% capacity in the stadium so people will be good and spread out, and likely all in masks.So besides the WORLD, what other w's are on my brain this Friday?


What's top of mind: The start of the school year and I am watching numbers closely. My daughters college is in a sort of locked bubble of restrictions. Classes are still as they were, but no outside people are allowed in campus buildings, and no guests from outside the dorms. She said it didn't change much for her. This started on 5:00 Tuesday and will go for two weeks to see if the case counts level or hopefully decrease. 

Where I've been: I left the house twice this week since Sunday. On Monday I dropped of library books, picked up a coffee, and went to Aldi. On Wednesday, our Internet crapped out and I worked the afternoon at my daughters. Rain and cold kept us from playing tennis on Wednesday as planned.

Where I'm going: Tomorrow is the band show and that likely will be it for the weekend entertainment unless I feel very brave if the weather is nice and stop for a drink after the show-outside of course. We will need bananas and milk so either I will ride Penny over to the grocery store, or we might just stop at Kwik Trip. Again, weather dependent, it has been a while since we've taken pup down to the river or the regional park, so I am aiming to go outside the neighborhood to walk at some point this weekend.

What I'm watching: We watched the NFL opener last night, Kansas City and Houston. I was reading while watching. I also watched the new Netflix Young Wallander-every bit as engrossing as both the Swedish Wallander, and the BBC version of the same character. I've watched a few more episodes of Death in Paradise as well. 

What I'm reading: I'm still poking at The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I've had a lot of education journal articles to get caught up on, and have found myself storing them and reading them later in the evenings after I end work. I'm particularly drawn to articles on child transitions,  as there is an upswing in Kindergarten home schooling this year over previous, but with a lot of questions being raised about then transitioning back to a traditional  school setting next year. 

What I'm listening to: When I'm not on a meeting, I have the BBC World Service streaming. I find I can hardly watch any American news shows. I still will listen to NPR and MPR, our local Public  station. To and from the lake we had a local station on that was counting down the top 97 songs of the 2000's. Don't ask me if I recall any!

What I'm eating: I made a very thin corn chowder last night, mostly because I took out two of the frozen milks that DD2 had brought home from the school to make freezer space and needed to use them up. It was tasty, but I really needed at least another cup of corn and another large potato. We both ate a healthy portion along with chicken salad sandwiches. I may freeze one of the two containers I put the leftovers in-if I can find space. But, I'll be eating soup for lunch today-probably tomorrow as well. 

Who I'm paying attention to: I'm paying attention to sports viewing ratings. The rhetoric is  die hard fans have had enough with players speaking out on racism and Black Lives Matter and will boycott the NFL and boycott the sponsors. I am genuinely curious if their money and time is where these peoples mouths are. My prediction is there might be blips, but Americans, and American sports fans, are some of the most shallow individuals on the planet.

What I'm planning:  I did a little Googling of the cabin area and there were at least four state and regional parks/nature preserves within 40 minutes, not on our home side, that I was not even aware of. I'm also trying to identify what businesses have outdoor seating if we want to eat out. It is Wisconsin, and even though a mask ordinance is in place, it sounds like not many people in the rural areas care about following, so I might just say we do take out only. Did I mention yesterday the Las Vegas concert and trip is officially cancelled? With our friends, we are thinking about other options and dates for a get together. I hadn't even put it together but it is the 40th anniversary of my husbands friendship with the couple, who are friends of course with both of us now. 

I am up early this morning, having dozed off and on during the game and finally just going to bed before 10:00 for real. The sun is just coming up and quite a nice color, not the orange we are seeing posted in so many pictures. I feel bad for what is happening out west, so of course my son is on my mind, as are all of you readers who live in that part of the country. Be safe and we'll talk again tomorrow for my day in a life post later in the day. 


17 comments:

  1. You don't sound quite so anxious as on other days. I love that you can just ride your bike to the store for bananas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the grocery store with all masked and keeping good distance, my errands were outside drop off or pick-up, and no real contact. I just had a bad day on Sunday because it felt like no one cared about precautions including my husband.

      Delete
  2. Real talk from our house-I was disappointed in the KC fans booing last night as the teams came together for unity. I love sports because they were always a nice distraction but now they are crossing over into real world issues and I don’t like how people are reacting. The whole world needs more respect. My son started a new job today, which is a positive! We are bleeding money with car repairs, dual enrollment, necessary home improvements, among other things this month. Covid cases are popping up around us, with co-workers and at neighboring high schools and my anxiety remains high. I hope you have a great weekend! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get it=protest peacefully, but to some, this isn't the right way to do so. and they boo-idiots. I am proud that these young men are standing together.

      Delete
  3. "Americans, and American sports fans, are some of the most shallow individuals on the planet" So true. We elevate these players to an almost god-like status, and pay them obscene amounts of money, to play a game for us. Their contracts are bought and sold for our entertainment, and, for the networks to get good $ for advertising. The industry used to sicken me--until now. These young men are using their status to effect change. They are real people who have platform to bring awareness to, as anon said, real word issues. But, oh no, sports fans simply want these players to shut up and perform for them. Shame on the fans who booed. I couldn't bear the look in the players' eyes. I wish they had walked off the field, and refused to play. Racial unity is NOT a political issue. It is a moral necessity, long overdue, and, frankly, the only thing that will allow us to survive as a nation. Without it, we are doomed.
    Oh, as for transitioning--our school, k-8, has what they call "Move-up Day" in late May, early June. Basically, all the kids move up to their following year's class, and walk the day through the schedule. Kindergartners and any families anticipating sending their kids in fall (specific target is homeschooled kids and kindies) are invited to enroll for the week prior to move-up day, and sent an invitation to attend school for the day. They are, if they've enrolled prior to the day, given their bus route, and allowed to ride the bus that day!
    It was especially great for the elementary schoolers transitioning to the middle schools. (It happens on a day that the 8th graders from both middle schools have their picnic/field day, so are not in the buildings.) Also, in high school, (other things equal) the first day in fall is only for freshman, and a few student leaders, so the freshman get the building to themselves for a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clarification on the invitation to enroll--the notices go out for about a week prior to the move up day--in the paper, on an automated call, and via U.S. Mail. (As you must register as a homeschooler with the district in our state, the district knows who the homeschooled students' families are, and they are sent the notices/invitations to move-up day every year.) Transitioning to the district is one of the things our district handles very well.

      Delete
    2. That is interesting and an inclusive way. I'm more reading about transitioning as a process rather than an event.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you are doing well, I hope that continues for you. Corn chowder sounds delicious. I can't wait until we get some cooler weather here in Florida to make soups and chowders again. You are right about the sports. My hubby and I have had season tickets for the Dolphins in previous years. We have decided they will never see another penny from us again. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll warm up again, but cool weather mixed with ingredients to use up and it was a no guess meal. I'm not sure I am following your point about no longer supporting the Dolphins. Do you mean you're boycotting because the NFL is allowing teams and individuals to exercise their rights to make peaceful statements about racism in America, or that you don't want to be around neanderthal fans that see athletes as nothing more than for their entertainment, anymore?

      Delete
  5. I love corn chowder. I had it one time made by a lady who must have used pure cream in it, it was so rich and good. I'm going to have to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had real cream and real butter on hand, I might have used! yum-but not as a meal though-just a small serving. (yeah right!)

      Delete
  6. I haven't watched US national news years now, since the last pres election. It's all politics all the time, and sends my stress level thru the roof. I read BBC online. Yes, many Americans are very shallow. It's quite disheartening, and frankly embarrassing to me. I hope the situation improves for your daughter at college, and this lockdown works to control cases. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well, but they seem to be no different than any other college campus. I think what is happening is kids are more in tuned so are actually getting testing. I am convinced the counts were under counts all along.

      Delete
  7. How nice to discover a few parks around the lake place to explore. Sometimes I think we just get into our set habits and don't bother to look any further. I know I was stunned when I discovered Chanaz last year. It's only 20 minutes from where we used to go fishing every couple of weeks over a 15 year period and we had never been there. It'll be exciting discovering somewhere new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think different views and walks will do us good. Maybe we'll haul penny up there, though there are a couple old bikes there already.

      Delete
  8. Happy to know your daughter is taking things serious at her college. I worry about her and she isn't even mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counts lower yesterday, but that was after a few days of high numbers. With five colleges in a 8 mile radius, it is a lot of young people that need to pay attention.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.