Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Positively Tuesday and Accepting Holiday Misses-Blogmas Day 15

      Day 15? Did I really type that? Yesterday was quite exciting, and I really had to wipe a tear away seeing the first NYC critical care nurse get her vaccine on televisions. I'm not letting my guard down, but I can see better public health conditions on the horizon. The US election was finally certified yesterday, despite what yahoos were still Tweeting about; that it really still isn't official now until January 6th. 

     Clearly failing, or acknowledging failure, is just not part of some peoples DNA. I on the other hand am pretty good at  accepting  losses and limitations. Sure, some sting worse than others. I still feel a bit salty from not receiving  the promotion back in 2007, but still did my job above and beyond. I've had my share of heart break over failed relationships and friendships that have gone south. Sometimes though failing ends up being a good thing, like when we were denied our home building loan in 1990, and ended up buying the house we still live in through a contract for deed sale.,We ended up with a slightly better home for us, on a better lot for less money.

     Every year I have visions of creating a Hallmark or Norman Rockwell Christmas. Every year there are fails. This year I seem to be having a lot of them, nothing major, and mostly due to ambition in my head, and then low energy level for execution. I am reminded again of Christmas Vacation and cousin Catherines turkey and Aunt Bethany's interesting jello.


     I've had my own moments. Take the vegan caramels I intended, did make, on Saturday. No pictures because the lot went into the trash. I had several recipe options and decided I was just going to do the most basic, whiz the dates in the Ninja, let harden, cut in squares, then dunk in dark chocolate. Sounds pretty fail proof. The Ninja whirled well, then kept hitting clunkiness. Ah, this is where I have to add a bit of hot water I thought. They never did get creamy, but I spread the mixture in a pan anyway. It wasn't until I went to cut into squares that I realized my error.  I thought the dates were already pitted-like raisins. I did not realize there was a hard put inside the dates. Well, some of the pits were in small bits, and a couple stayed whole, either way, the date puree was inedible-dangerously so! I was bummed out to have waste $5 worth of dates, But, I managed to taste a bit that didn't have busted pits, and it is pretty tasty. So at least I know next time, done correctly, I'll have  a tasty vegan treat. 

     While maybe not failures I've had other misses this year:

  • Christmas village still not up
  • Cards only 1/3 done, must be in the mail by Wednesday a.m. pick-up or some will be late
  • What I thought I ordered was a paint by number set of an Eifel tower scene, turned out to be something called diamond painting, with little plastic beads-looks interesting, but nothing anyone I know would be interest in 
  • I didn't read the fine print and the cribbage board in a cloth bag for DH came-as just the bag! I had to order the cribbage set last night. That likely will not arrive by Christmas Eve.
     This popcorn was not a fail. Bonus recipe-and it's not even Wednesday. It is an easy fail proof microwave caramel that I have made off and on through the years. I made it first with my 4 and 5 year old preschool classroom before I had kids. The caramel gets very hot, so be careful, but this is such a good way for kids to feel like they helped make treats.

Microwave Caramel Corn
12-15 cups popped plain popcorn, no butter or salt (If you use microwave popcorn that is already sealed, leave out the salt in the carmel)

In a microwave safe bowl melt
1/2 cup butter (I used vegan so DD1 would eat but melts better with real)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Karo light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
 Melt a minute, stir, and melt another 30-40 seconds until bubbly. 

     Quickly stir in 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp baking powder. It will bubbly up more as the sida  reacts to the other ingredients and as you stir, a golden caramel color emerges. 
Pour over popcorn, while folding and stirring to coat the entire batch. I have a massive Tupperware bowl, but a brown paper bag would work in a pinch and was what I used with the preschoolers and later with my own children as they love to shake the bake and make sure the pieces were coated.


     Some people might spread it out on cookie sheets and bake it to dy out and crips up, but I like it as it is, soft and gooey. It easily could be molded into popcorn balls with our without gum drops added. It's the easiest ever, and I like it so much I need to now give it away to get it out of the house. I made my sister a care package with this, puppy chow, and chex mix, along with a plate that had PB fudge (Wednesday share), rolo pretzels, oreo brownies, and mars bar candy. She's bringing it to share today for her lunch with two other sisters, but said the popcorn stays with her. So on that successful note, do you have any tails of a holiday fail? Any burnt or dog eaten holiday turkeys? Anyone  make spoiled eggnog and get anyone sick? Let's all get a good laugh sharing in the acceptance of a few failures.



18 comments:

  1. Oh yes just week- I followed a peanut brittle recipe and it was so hard, I couldn't get it out of the buttered pan! I will definitely not cook it as long next time- I used a candy thermometer but the recipe had too high of heat IMO. Tomorrow I'm making 60 cupcakes for a preschool party- I do this every year and it's not that difficult- I'm a from scratch baker but not for these cupcakes for 3 and 4 year olds. The frosting is homemade buttercream though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that happen when I tried homemade turtle candy-they were bricks!

      Delete
  2. I love dates. My mom used to make a stuffed date with an almond and honey filling. I wish I knew where that recipe when to, but then that would be part of my ambitions getting away from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound so good. Well, I can say that when I make these right, they will be good.

      Delete
  3. You are doing great Sam, no matter how hard we try there will always be some fails. One year I had my oven die while the turkey was in there, and of course no way to bake all the sides either. Thankfully we didn't have guests that year, what a disaster. Of course someone always brings it up at Christmas and we all laugh about it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to just not care-and I don't like that attitude. Today is already crazy, and next week is nt looking to bea peaceful vacation form work.

      Delete
  4. I have thrown away so many failed concoctions over the years, I have lost count. Life goes on!
    I fail often so I pretty much have to accept it or be miserable. I am not fond of misery Anne so I try to just pull up my big girl pants and move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-into the trash without trying to salvage-couldn't salvage! I too refuse to be miserable over trying and not succeeding.

      Delete
  5. I finally realized that the only people having the "perfect" Christmases you see on TV are either the actors in the commercials or people who live in Downton Abbey and have tons of servants. I used to get so stressed about Christmas because my husband used to charge around at the last minute causing chaos but not actually helping, because it had to be "perfect". It's been easier since my divorce obviously. I can't say this was a holiday fail but I do remember my ex and I seeing a steam wallpaper stripper really cheap so we jumped at it as we were going to decorate. When we got home it was just the nozzle attachment. You had to buy the actual steamer separately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have sisters and my two SIL's are pretty perfect Christmas people. My sisters it is casual and fun, and so with one of the SIL's, but the other and with my MIL it is so orchestrated. We will have a Charlie Brown type Christmas to be sure.

      Delete
  6. The only really bad thing I can think of is when the Christmas tree fell over. I guess I decorated the front and didn’t balance out the back and the whole thing toppled over. Of course it was a real tree and water and pine needles went everywhere. It was our first Christmas in this house, 18 years ago. I can laugh now! There was one December that the flu hit us all hard too. We scraped by with the bare minimum. Definitely one to forget lol. I’m feeling the pressure but got some shopping in today and plan on wrapping for a few hours this evening. Cards are done, I’ve only made one batch of cookies and they are long gone. Other than a few more things for my daughter’s boyfriend and his parents, something for my dad and some candy from a local shoppe, my shopping is complete. Or at least I hope it is! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was 11 and had a bad burn accident and was on meds, I fell into the tree on Christmas Eve! First Christmas memories are always good aren't they? I have a bit of shopping but not much-then we are home this whole weekend watching streaming concerts.

      Delete
  7. Well it took me three batches to get my caramels right on this new stove. And I just had a rosette and they are not super crunchy meaning my oil was not hot enough. They are still edible, but....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. trying to gauge temps on an unfamiliar appliance is tough! I will buy rosettes and krum kake this year.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the caramel corn recipe. Sounds good!
    Funny about the dates although I'm sure it wasn't too funny at the time. Glad no one broke a tooth.
    One of my fails was my daughter's 3rd birthday cake. She wanted a Pooh Bear cake...well I didn't bake him long enough and he looked done in the outside but was a pile of goo on the inside. I was up til midnight baking and icing another cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-glad I realized my error before anyone tried, and I didn't kill the ninja either. My husband once made a raw cake as an expression of his new found cooking skills. Not.

      Delete
  9. It feels wonderful that vaccinations are starting, doesn't it! A friend rang me in great excitement yesterday as she is being vaccinated today. She's in a high priority group as she has heart problems and she is over eighty but the fact that she is being "done" gives me such hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good for your friend. I forget when the second dose has to be administered-two weeks later? Hope for sure.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.