Monday, March 22, 2021

Meals Before Vacation Week

 

     I am a day later than normal at trying to plan meals for the week . We had a really nice half day get away and made burgers on the grill, with potato salad and even a mini bottle of wine I found in the fridge I left last fall. I need to remember that even small little changes of day, scenery, schedule is a bit of a mental recharge for me. I don't claim to have any knowledge on mental health, other than my own, but if that reminder to myself, also reminds you if you are struggling a bit, I'd encourage you to take note. Melas last week got very wonky due to work schedule plus making sure to use leftovers. Here was the plan. 

Sunday: Crockpot pasta prima vera with *French bread
Monday: Chicken Cottage pie or a pot pie
Tuesday: Taco Tuesday, with rice and black beans or refried beans
Wednesday: Rice Hotdish, with carrots, celery
Thursday: Penne pasta with Bolognese (I'll add an additional can of diced tomatoes as DH doesn't like how thick the Bolognese is. 
Friday: Fish, coleslaw, baked potato
Saturday: Possibly Sloppy Joe's and diced roasted potato's, but TBD if I need to change-likely leftovers

What we really ate:

Sunday: We didn't really have supper after DH picked up Concrete Mixers and fries because he was in the mood for both mid afternoon.
Monday: Kerplewy Day! I pulled out sausage meatballs, and the potatoes that I had made the previous Saturday for potato salad but over cooked, but worked for fried potatoes.
Tuesday: Taco Tuesday, with rice 
Wednesday: Crock Pot mock lasagna with *French bread
Thursday: Leftover tacos and pasta
Friday: Fish, tator rounds, steamed Cali blend
Saturday: Crock pot then baked chicken cheesy broccoli rice, and the rest of the steamed veg

     After grocery shopping Tuesday, and two different additional stops, we're pretty stocked again so am trying to avoid shopping until DD2 is home and she can weigh in on favorites. On Saturday I cooked 10 chicken thighs in the crock pot, and there are six left, plus I save the broth. I'm going to start this weeks meals with that. 

Sunday: We didn't make supper after such a nice lunch. I think DH made himself a sandwich later on the leftover  buns. I had potato chips while watching TV. 
Monday: *Chicken noodle soup, with lots of vegetables (using up the odds and ends, plus some frozen I have), with a couple of the thighs. Crescent rolls.
Tuesday: Chicken, cheese, rice and broccoli hodish
Wednesday: Leftovers with any remaining chicken
Thursday: *Chili, with grilled cheese sandwiches
Friday: Beef enchiladas or enchilada hotdish with rice (DD2 supposed to be home later or early afternoon)
Saturday: *Wild Rice Soup and  French bread or rolls

*Portions planned for freezer

     No award winning menus here, but we'll be fed with a few days of comfort foods plus the chili and wild rice soup will have extras to put in the freezer to pull out next week when on vacation. It will be nice to have something ready after a day of being out and about, even though we do plan to splurge on take out. We've spent $341 for H&G/Health and Beauty so far. Take out is separate and I did not have a challenge this month, but when trying to budget, I roughly have $400 for food, and $100 for  household and health and beauty, so a $500 average target per month. 

     Some months I do the challenge to keep my spending super low so months when we might go higher than $500, we're still on track. I'm still relying on too many convenience items to help with cooking, but don't use a lot of ready meals-just ready ingredients, if that makes sense. I bought a 12 pack of hard seltzer and a couple bottles of wine over the weekend, but I'm calling that entertainment. Our eating out/take out and entertainment budget is a combined $200. We've yet to be even close to that this year of course, but will hit it this month and then some since between the two of us, his meal out with a friend and then with his mom, and now the liquor store stop, we are near $150. 

     How are you doing in MArch with your budget? Are any of you still doing lingering pantry challenges or do you start to pick up spendin gin MArch as my family does?


13 comments:

  1. Our grocery shopping this month has been pretty in check (we have a reasonably generous monthly budget, to set expectations). We've been needing to get back to our somewhat boring but effective planning & cooking on weekends, eating leftovers during the week strategy. We didn't bring it back due to money saving, just due to time & schedule conflicts with Sam playing school soccer.

    This week we're having tacos x2 (prepped the meat over the weekend), steak salad (leftover steak), gyros x2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with leftovers if good food. I don't remember having much leftovers when my son was home! I suppose if I cooked and set aside-maybe.

      Delete
  2. I was attempting a low-spend/no-spend and pantry challenge, but it's not going as well as January's challenge. For instance, yesterday I ran into cases of a rather hard to find soda which one of my kids loves at a great closeout price, so they made their way into my cart. I don't typically purchase things like that except for a rare treat, so it was really appreciated. Next month we have Easter, and two birthdays, so I am back on the horse this week. In actuality, however, the mere act of declaring a challenge makes me aware of my spending and meal planning, which in itself, lowers the budget and helps purge the pantry. I think the pop-pyschology culture phrase used to describe that is "intentional?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my Easter ham for 95 cents a pound, so I could say that was April spending, but since March is ano challenge, it was added in. I like as a mom splurging on treat that are a rare indulgence. I really need to do more of a fresh food chellenge!

      Delete
  3. The mental health break is necessary. For the first time I am a little bummed we sold the lake place, because I really could use a change of scenery. That being said, the weather is just about to be ready for outdoor get togethers so we are busy getting the back yard kind of gussied up for entertaining. Even after having had both shots I am still going to err on the side of caution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a confession-I started looking for fun at home sin the south with pools to see what a post retirement move might look like. I can see how your backyard would be a great gathering spot. MAybe just a drive with a book to a new to you park would be enough of a change.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like all worked out well. I haven't participated in any of the pantry challenges, definitely would have if I had known about them from the start. I've been keeping the grocery budget very low this year between BoGo stock ups, cutting our portion sizes on meats and going heavy on the fresh fruits and veggies instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was a mini challenge in that I moved all the near to sell by dates to the font and made sure to use them. I have a now out of date cornbread I need to make this week for chili.

      Delete
  5. I am doing a fair job at using up what's in the kitchen rather than going out to buy new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really could skip grocery shopping and make creative meals if I had to.

      Delete
  6. So are you taking the whole week off for vacation? My sis and I are thinking about planning a girl's {maybe in May} trip to Savannah since we all have had our second Covid vaccine. One good thing about our county is they seem to have a lot of vaccine- daughter was able to get youngest GS his first one Monday. I was just perusing the Publix grocery ad which I haven't done since last March- a lot of food I'd like and BOGO but I think I've talked myself out of it. I really don't need to buy a thing even though it's been 2 weeks since I went to Aldi. I've been doing well with my Mediterranean diet and can't let ice cream call my name heehee. Boy it is HARD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plan is the whole week-and the day after Easter. We shall see if I can escape being called online for some issues. Liley not. Maybe older people in your county have not taken advantage, but wow-your grandson? I bought frozen custard last week-twice, due to a super low sale on pints. I hope it goes back up in price so I m not tempted again.

      Delete
  7. We're eating a lot out of the freezer to prepare for this year's garden. Karen

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.