Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Positively Tuesday and Another Week of Simple Pleasures

       What a difference a week makes when a person gives themselves permission to just unplug and relax a bit! A week ago, even while I was finding  happy things, I was exhausted after the first two days of the work week chaos. Today I feel more on top of things (though knock on my wood desk the other shoe won't fall) and perhaps will have a whole week next week not thinking much about work. Tuesday is still not my jam-it's a day to get through, but wanting to nip that poor attitude in the bud, I've been using Tuesday to capture at least 10 Simple Pleasures.  I had many over the weekend to share so will get started here.

  1. No doubt groceries have gotten more expensive. I've been eating perfectly fine store brand yogurt, but I absolutely love how creamy and smooth Yoplait is. A terrific sale at 10 for $4, plus I had a $1 off coupon for 10 made them cheaper than even Aldi. 
  2. When I last made French bread, I popped one loaf in the freezer and we had it with the Crock pot  mock lasagna. DH got a sandwich out of it, but the ends were all mine and I at them with red pepper hummus. Delicious! (I did say this list is simple pleasures!)
  3. Our pond is fully thawed so it is fun to see the ducks back and getting to use the whole surface. Just last week they had just  a little strip on the sunny side with open water. 
  4. I stopped at the Dollar Tree for gallon Zip lock bags, but found they had a big supply of the thin plywood Easter and Spring cut outs. I don't have many Easter decorations, so decided to buy these two guys.


  5. I also found this little dude, who will linger on the shepherds hook all spring. He reminds me of the bugs from A Bug's LIfe, one of my favorite Disney movies. 

  6. I had another nice long meetup walk with a couple friends. We had to cut shorter than I would have liked since they had kids to run and things to do later in the afternoon, but I'll take whatever time with them I can get.
  7. While downtown after the riverwalk, we wandered and looked at the giant flower art. Here's one of the bright ones. The texture in the petal is duck tape. 

  8. I dove into work yesterday morning and with a surge of energy, got through  most of th eitems I had listed out that I wanted done by 12:00 b 10:30! I gave myself permission to get outside with pup for another brief, but lovely walk. We are potentially gettin grain later and over the next two days, so I'll try walking when we can. 
  9. DH had a delicious splurge by buying butcher made  bacon cheddar burgers, bakery rolls, and deli potato salad. The meal was better than take out. Really, it wasn't that much less, $15 for the three items, but we had leftover rolls and DH, who loves potato salad, had his fill-more than he would have gotten as a side. 

  10. My daughters acapella group posted a snippet from theri first recording on Instagram. She was sort of tucked in the back, the little peanut. 
There's probably more and I can save and add next week. 

Edit: I started my list yesterday to finish up this morning and post. I woke up to the details of more horrific news of human loss in of all places, a grocery store, by a single murderer. Coupled with the  murders last week, and the daily violence in all corners of the world, my positively Tuesday posts feel glib and pointless. But maybe, that makes them more important-knowing it is little things that make us smile, and people in our life that make getting through the rough patches doable, and life all the more sweet. Please don't read my post and think I am ignoring human tragedy. I'm really just trying to own and hold on to my piece of the world and look for the good in daily life, in spite of the hate and evil.. 

25 comments:

  1. WHY IS IT EASIER TO PURCHASE AN ASSAULT TYPE RIFLE THAN TO VOTE???????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The question not being listened to and answered!

      Delete
  2. Yesterday the bomb squad was called to my plaza, literally 100 yards from my store. I was not working, but a coworker sent me a video. It ended up being a false alarm, and then the news breaks of the shooting in Colorado. Years ago, my friend’s husband told me to always know where the exits are when I go anywhere, and not just the doors in and out, emergency exits, doors to stock rooms, offices, something that has stuck with me. I hope I never need to use it. We are awaiting two Covid test results, and then my daughter’s boyfriend gets an email last night that he was exposed to a sick classmate on THURSDAY and needs to quarantine until the 30th. My brain is exploding at this point. All we do is go to work and go to the store. We have a small circle of people we hang out with. We are mask wearers. I long for the day I can get vaccinated. And yet here we are. We don’t go on vacation, we don’t have parties, we don’t have holidays, we don’t go to weddings (yep, just sent out my Politely Decline RSVP card to an out of state wedding ::eyeroll:: ). I am disheartened, to say the least. Sorry to hijack your positivity post, but it’s in short supply around here. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just got my nephews invitation to an outdoor wedding May 23rd. Will we all be vaccinated? They've been engaged for three years.

      Delete
  3. I don't think your post is glib at all. There is no reason you should be somber in your post after a tragedy. There are some people who never mention current events and I think no less of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more my own thinking that my happy things aren't there for these families. But you are right, current events have tragedy every day.

      Delete
  4. With the horrors going on in the world I think we all need to hang on to whatever snippets of joy we can find. It's not being callous, it's about hanging on to our sanity. That doesn't make what happened in Colorado any less sad of course, but hang on to whatever gives you joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course your right. I was posting pictures of bunnies and flowers with news in background and was about to post. I added my edit then.

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with Treaders! We need every tiny little bit of joy we can get right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need positivity, keep it up, Sam! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep it up. And keep finding the simple and good stuff.

      Delete
  7. I don't think your post is trite or uncaring. It's been exactly one year since the UK went into its first lockdown and today at midday, we had a minute's silence for all the casualties of the virus who had lost their lives. Tonight at 8pm, we are being asked to stand on our doorsteps and shine a light for the same reason. We all do what we can to remember the victims of this horrible scourge across the planet and for all the victims of senseless violence too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both sides of life, recognizing and remembering people, looking forward to good things to come. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  8. What Meg said. Also, I really need the positive vibes, so I appreciate your post. For me: I got something off of my work plate that I've been dreading, and treated myself to a freezer burger (delish) as a splurge lunch. Both of which I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voting common sense is missing with what's going on. And the Sydney Powell defense-inexcusable.

      Delete
  9. To acknowledge your joys does not negate any feelings you might have about any tragedy. My blog never has anything about my views concerning events that unfold because for me that is personal and something I only discuss with my personal friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I was feeling a bit like my post was tone deaf as I had the news on.

      Delete
  10. “In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. So it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were designed in the first place: the opportunity to do good work, to enjoy friends, to fall in love, to hit a ball, and to bounce a baby.” A. Cooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted...and wise words needed. Thank you.

      Delete
  11. It's great that you count your blessings! We all need to do it! What a lovely list of fun, tasty and adorable things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to look and see the good and fun in my life despite the frustrations.

      Delete
  12. It is hard to stay positive when things like shooting go on in the most random places we think are safe. But I will not succumb to despair. That is hard sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is of course true, and living in despair won't solve it anyway.

      Delete
  13. My military family told me to count the positive every day, even if it's I can lay on this ground and nap. My preachers in the family remind of us of JOB, RUTH and more than a few others.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.