Wednesday, March 24, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-Some Links to Share for Kitchen Newbies

     


     I don't have much orignal to share this week from my kitchen and pantry. Last night I changed up the chicken-rice hotdish a bit, mostly because I didn't realize DH had eaten the last of the cheddar I had earmarked for the recipe.  I've shared the simple chicken rice, cheese, and broccoli "recipe" a gazillion times so here's the twist. Hold onto your socks-I put a healthy squirt of ranch dressing in with the soup an dmilk mix, and instead of cheddar used mozzarella. I left the broccoli out and just steamed and served on the side. I'll admit it was quite tasty with the change ups.Of course there is plenty for a day or two of lunches or part of a leftover night. It was the beigest looking dish you can imagine-no cheddar deep yellow or green broccoli poking through, so I didn't bother to take a picture.

     I've been on the fence about ordering a few meal kits for DD2 to make next week and ultimately decided no. Instead, I think I'll sen dher to the store list in hand (after she looks through the pantry and freezer) with some recipes either form  her new cookbook she got at Christmas or any of the other volumes I have. 

     She'll be moving into an apartment next year so will be doing her own cooking, but also start the road to when she will really need to be budget conscious. I'm a big fan of  cookbook writer and anti-poverty, food security advocate Jack Monroe, and her plethora of books she has published. I wish someone would partner up with her and do a conversion to US measurements as I think her stuff looks fantastic, and I've even tried a thing or two, and would help so many people wo want  tasty food but are on a tight budget. If you are familiar with  her (her choice of pronouns) and know of a collaboration with US conversion, let me know. In the meantime, here is her website, Cooking on a Bootstrap, which she makes available to anyone. I donated to a kickstarter for her a couple years back on I believe what was to be her third book, and would have received a copy as a thank you. There were issues with how it rolled out, her health took a beating and there were many unkind people, but I was pleased with myinvestment. (I have done  a few other Kickstarter and Patreon donations) I declined to have the book shipped to me, knowing it could be used locally and not add to the costs of the project with international shipping. 

Here's a couple other sources for low cost, beginner cooking if you want to share with your children, grandchildren, or other kitchen newbies in your life.

  • Luke Catleugh is a fashion, home, travel vlogger but posts it seems 2-4 times a month  simple recipe vlogs that he whips up for himself and his roommate Zara in their outside of London flat. He uses basic ingredients he gets at his local Aldi, or sometimes the other store sin his area, but rarely anything extra. I love that he scours his massive shelf of cookbooks before planning his meal. He is very young, but quite practical. his mom must be proud! Here was a video of 6 Simple Weeknight Dinners, all vegetarian.
And a few more:
     And of course, don't forget that you can binge away on all the BuzzFeed and Tasty recipes that op up in  so many online portals like Facebook, or even just Google search page. I still stand by the best recipe book is my old church cook book. It doesn't though come with any basic tips, an din fact, some of the recipes assume a set of knowledge and accomplishment already. Well, that's because it was meant to be used  year after year, moms and sons, dad's and daughters, sisters, and friends  We'll have a good time this week cooking together, both the old and hopefully the new. 



22 comments:

  1. I bought this scale a while ago and love it! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V9PPFCG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I'd more like is measuring cups and spoons that convert.

      Delete
  2. You can easily find imperial to metric conversion tables online. I have quite a few US cook books and while I've gotten used to the switch to metric now, initially I would just write on the recipe what the metric conversion is. The hardest one was always "a stick of butter" though - I mean, what the heck does "a stick of butter" weigh??? Actually I think it's 125g but it had me stumped for ages. And I see that you've got a Good Housekeeping book. I have loads of cookbooks but my absolute favourite, all covered in cooking/food stains, is a UK edition of Good Housekeeping. It's an absolute treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should invest in measuring cups and spoons that have both. I know 250 grams of something's is a cup, but others it's more. Tha tis so confusing to me!

      Delete
  3. Well, what a fun post!!! You see, I sort of have a passion for vintage cookbooks, as well as coffee-table type cookbooks, like "The Best Brand Name" cookbook. I find these at the thrift shops for $1.50 for hardcover, $0.50 for paperback. I also like finding church cookbooks, and cookbooks with titles like "America's Best Recipes." In any case, my favorite cookbooks, the ones I seemed to turn to over and over again in my younger cook days, are the "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook, and the "Better Crocker" (red) cookbook. The methods sections were invaluable, and I still refer to the emergency substitutions guides. The Spruce website is a good site for learning new techniques as well. If I were setting a kid out in his/her own place, I would probably buy them recipe card box as a gift, and put about 10 of his/her favorite recipes in it.
    I still take my kids shopping with me, and have them help me pick items off the shelves, so I think they have an idea as to what a good price is for groceries. In fact, I am at the point where I can send the drivers to the store for me, and they know to peruse the clearance section!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to force myself not to buy ore-plus the volumes and volumes of Taste of Home magazine I used to have!

      Delete
  4. I bought a food scale that has both our standard and metric weights. It makes converting recipes pretty easy. Even though I generally just eyeball ingredients there are a few things where I actually follow directions and measure everything.
    I used to read Monroe's blog regularly when she had A Girl Called Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first learned about her work when I had several projects that included food insecurity remediation efforts at work. I'd eyeball as well, but as I said ot Treaders-the weight and cup things throw me off.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for all the links, Sam. I'm off to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've become quite a web surfing and ?youTube geek.

      Delete
  6. Church cookbooks are some of my favourites as well. I really like "Taste of Home" magazine as well (of course they have a website too). The recipes are usually simple, with ingredients that can be found in my small town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom used to give one of my sister sand myself the magazine. We love dit. Then we'd sit with her and she would pick out things shed like us to try. It was a good memory of her.

      Delete
  7. I love browsing for recipes. It's harder now, with M eating Keto, but it's still a fun pleasure to research things I can make at least for myself & Sam to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does Nick do Keto too? Or will he be the chef?

      Delete
  8. I so hate cooking - I actually gave away all but 4 of my cookbooks (which I never use!). I have a small repertoire of about a dozen meals that I change slightly and rotate. It works for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I like to cook, I hate going through so much effort for just the two of us on weeknights, so we pretty much eat the same as well day to day. I love holiday cooking through and cooking with another person which will be fun when my daughter is home.

      Delete
  9. It is great you are helping daughter prepare for a new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She les to cook-just has always been so busy that other than helping when she was real little, she just wasn't in the kitchen much. Ether were my older kids, but they both really learned in their college apartment days as well.

      Delete
  10. I have many cookbooks! Pioneer Woman has several with color illustrations and detailed directions/pictures for lots of food. They are really easy to follow and I believe she also has a cooking show. Maybe check out a few from the library- my library pre-covid had a lot of cookbooks they practically gave away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like Bree, Ree-can't remember her name. She has some good hearty dishes as I think her family still ranches.

      Delete
  11. I don't collect cookbooks. I lost the one my mother gave me in 1964. Another I rarely use is packe away somewhere. i need a good set of scales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like simple tools-measuring cups and spoons at most. That's why I'd prefer someone else do the work of the conversions!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.