Thursday, March 25, 2021

Thrifty Thursday-Not Much

     Simple post this week as with a few days of rain and working late, down time was in general thrifty and non resource wasting. Here's a recap of how I tried my best to make good use of my time, resources, and money.

Time

  • Another Saturday walking meetup with a couple friends. The day was perfect weather wise, and my knee didn't scream quite as loud as the previous week. 
  • DH had a day away at the lake, grilling food, relaxing, watching basketball and reading.
  • Reserved time for the zoo and conservatory next week.
  • I had the 2nd of two Bible studies on Monday. It was a little more engaging conversation this time-less Q&A and ore talking. A new one will start after Easter, so I'll need to decide.
  • I registered for outdoor Easter Services. Until we are vaccinated, I won't be  eating meals or sitting inside surrounded by people.
  • No success yet, but each day I unt for vaccine slots for DH and me. I learned of another  locator site. Some communities in Greater Minnesota seem to have a lot of options, but I know others do not.. We'll get our turn eventually. If they were not the two dose versions, I'd consider the long drive, but with work, scheduling twice for five hour round trip would be hard to do. However, if we go into April, I may do that.
Resources  
  • Two cooked meals yielded four dinners and two additional lunches. With the crazy week, no one was complaining. 
  • .Stretched  family pack of chicken thighs into three meals with leftovers. I made a delicious soup by keeping the  drippings, adding bouillon and water, thenreserved in the refrigerator. I could skim all the fat off but was left with the best broth I've made.

Money

  • DH received a $5 ohl's anniversary reward. I'll add to te $15 I have and  use towards DD2 sprucing up an item or two for her wardrobe-or like something practical like socks and underwear that no doubt she has lost ove rthe year at school
  • No take out over the weekend and through the week. We will be psurging next week though.
  • We needed sour cream and cheddar for chili, but there was an impromptu  BOGO on pasta and sauce, so I stocked up a bit more. I also got a spiral ham for Easter for 95 cents a pound. I think I may make APril a challenge month since I am getting so much ahead and restocking well.
  • Not inexpensive, but less than take out was buying food for the grill at the cabin.
         Pretty low key. I am looking for additional ideas for my vacation week. I'll look over the library catalogue and order a few more books. I don't want to look at the weather and jinx it-getting too far ahead of myself. I hope you had a good thrifty week. Please share any wins.

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad this week seems to have been a little calmer for you - and I bet you're looking forward to next week right? Time to "chill"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am. Today has already been a whirlwind.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like some great wins. I need to poll the family & get a menu together for next week. Here's hoping it's a bit easier than this week!

    In frugal news from my side, my eBay sales picked up quite a bit, we swapped a date night out into some fun at home, and we are on top of our leftovers to reduce food waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the girls ad I might try and combine forces and do a little side selling-maybe just with FB marketplace to start.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like another good week Sam. I'm having a hard time getting us in for vaccines too. The rest is as usual - working on projects at home and getting in my workouts, sticking to the menu plan and spending on groceries only and even then all sale or BOGO items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to be frustrated, but I keep seeing unusual posts by people who have gotten theirs-of course I know nothing about their life or health circumstances in regards to priorities. One would just think that a 59 year old with a history of a heart condition and who had a TIA when he was 50 would certainly be able to get in through adoctore referral.

      Delete
  4. I am making cabbage soup and I have everything--carrots from freezer, onion fresh, potatoes from the bag here, and four cabbages sitting here. I won't use all of the cabbages, just a crockpot full. Best of all, there is plenty of frozen protein to choose chicken to sausages. Now, I know what we are having for dinner. That is a win for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your soup. I love a good vegetable version.

      Delete
  5. We ae having rain here too today. I will try not to complain. LOL

    We also were able to schedule our second shot in April, so I am happy abut that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rain during the week-particularly if the weekends then are so nice. Yesterday was really beautiful after three days of clouds and rain.

      Delete
  6. You had a great week with wins!
    Hopefully you can find an appointment for your vaccine soon. Here the state distributes it and there is no rhyme nor reason for what area gets what.
    I am neither winning nor losing the battle of frugality because I am going no where and buying nothing (Other than an Amazon Easter surprise for Pip)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like there is a rhyme-but no reason on the roll out. I heard there is going to be an expansion to the next bracket- but tha tis utter stupidity, but then I looked in some parts of the state, there are literally dozens of shot appointments every day. If I could do a 5 hour tips=twice, I just might and make DH as well.

      Delete
  7. I sure hope you guys can get in to get a shot soon. I feel so blessed to have mine. Even though I will still wear a mask every wear and social distance until I feel comfortable enough that these vaccines are working on the variants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already annoyed with the people saying no masks now because of the vaccine. Well, a lot of us are not vaccinated yet. I have to bite my tongue really hard on people now parading their vaccine cards around when they also posted their mega Christmas gatherings, vacation photos, and the rest. It feels very hurtful to those of us doing all the things we are supposed to do, and can't get in. I'll wait my turn, but seems so hypocritical like s manythings in this country are.

      Delete
  8. Your life sounds like a world away from ours, meeting up with friends, travelling further than the end of the road and going to the zoo! I don't think I'll know what to do when restrictions are relaxed!
    The vaccine roll-out sounds very complicated, here anyone eligible can just log into the government website with their name & date of birth and book an appointment at a local doctor's surgery or vaccination centre. I hope you get yours soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but with masks and social distancing-like your trust options before you had another round of tighter lock downs. I worry though that we'll have another increase though and my family is not in th eclear.

      Delete
  9. How about a gourmet dinner with dessert that you and daughter make an evening when you know hubby will be home on time? You could even use the good china and dress up LOL? I haven't been grocery shopping for almost 3 weeks so am being really frugal that way. I even used up some chocolate chips and pecans and made fudge- I just have to ration it. I also soaked some dried black beans and made black bean soup with celery and onions and it was actually pretty tasty. Talk about a frugal meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that sounds like a fun evening! What is this dressin gup you speak of though? DH is not off this week.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.