Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Positively Tuesday-Sauntering Through My Days

      After the last 14 months, the pieces of my life are slowly moving forward in public. A few weeks back I had a post about that New York Times article that described this pandemic life as "languishing." Now with my family's all vaccinated (though Minnesota and I think all the US is only at 38%),  more social opportunities being scheduled, and  businesses opening up, I think I'd describe myself not running forward, but more of a slow, relaxed pace, eager, but not rushing or hurrying. I'm sauntering through my days now. Sure, the nice weather, even though it has been chilly, helps with that. If we can be outside when getting together with people, that's what we'll do. May is a beautiful month in Minnesota. It is a month meant for sauntering. I've been using Tuesdays as a day to capture simple pleasures and joys in life. I shouldn't find it hard to find 10 this week.

  1. My younger daughter requested that we keep almond milk as dairy has been bothering her a bit so trying to cut back. Dang, I know this from having coffee at my daughters, but almond milk is so good in a cup of coffee!  When she goes back to school, I might just need to   get enough each week form my older daughters supply as I wouldn't use 1/2 gallon fast enough. 
  2. The squirrels didn't get all my flower seeds. There are quite a few zinnias popping up in the planter on the deck. I'm not saying they will make it, but there's hope. 
  3. Last Friday our Executive team hosted a donut drive through, then my team, or those that wanted and felt comfortable, met up in a park for an hour or so. About 1/3rd of us made it, and I got to meet in person one of the seven people hired after  we started working from home. I have really terrific colleagues so it was more than a simple pleasure people in person. 
  4. We also held out book club Friday night in person  on my friends deck!  Her husband, the ultimate host, put out a spread and made cocktails for us. I had a pretty tasty mojito, compete with crushed mint. Funny story about our kids becoming us. We were having such a good time around the fire chatting, and pretty soon over two 1/2 hours went by. I didn't notice I had any texts, but my daughter called me on my way home wondering when I'd be home. When I got home and saw the texts, one said "How long is book club anyway?" Mnd you, I left at 6:45 and was home by 10:00. 
  5. We had a nice gathering with family for my nephews confirmation. My youngest kept her mask on since she was only recently second vaccinated. It was a bit  alarming to hear no vax intent from my SIL and BIL, and her parents. (Sorry veered into a rant-but this is why we kept our distance and I defended that decision to my mother-in-law.)
  6. Later that same day we met up with friends to hear the wife of one of DH's friends, perform live music! The venue was awful though-a place on the most dismal of all marina's on the Mississippi. It looked like a boat graveyard. 
  7. Joining my daughter for another house tour was a nice kick off to Mother's Day. She brought me coffee (with almond milk) for the drive. It was nice to see her get excited again about looking since no real options in our town. We drove around a bit so she could see the  city a bit more, and declared it a good fit. And-its still only about 25 minutes from me, and right on my way home from work on days I go to the office.
  8. DH went to see his mom over lunch, but since the college kid was feeling zapped after her 2nd shot, the girls and I made a  healthy lunch of roasted vegetables and couscous and ate outside. I love it for my Mother's Day! 
  9. As the veggies were such a hit on Sunday, I roasted all the odds and ends last night too-different mix of options, but now DD2 and I have them for a couple days of lunches. Easy and tasty. Win-win. 
  10. DH took it easy on Sunday, and I puttered a bit, but my knee was flaring after walking the dog so we did not do a river walk as originally planned. Still, just walking in my neighborhood and seeing all the outdoor gatherings of families made me happy to see. 
     That's my collection of simple pleasures and joys. I hope you are all starting to see light , more light I should say, in your life. I'm hopeful all countries will have access, and in ours, we can get to the point where it's safe for all of us. 


16 comments:

  1. Your life is starting to open back up again - it must feel wonderful! We only come out of our partial lockdown on 19 May, then more easing mid-June, and then, all being well, total release end of June. It's a long haul but we'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last state release of guidance was mo mask mandate even indoors by July, or by 70% immunization. I'm not sure that's wise though.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I am opening slowly. I also have relatives who are not vaccinated, nor do they plan to be. Family reunions are pretty much a no go for me.
    Almond milk has a long shelf life__much longer than dairy products. We have no trouble with dairy but milk is not keto and TheHub likes almond milk in cereal so it is the only milk we keep anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubs still wants milk plus I haven't figured out enough cooking without milk. I just hope those that choose to not vax would shut up, and not promote their opinions
      Leading more hesitancy.

      Delete
  3. I had no problems with my shot, prom went well and I got spoiled for Mother’s Day, even though I had to work, so I’m feeling good! We got the proofs from the professional photographer at the grand March and they are stunning. Those kids are such a beautiful couple and her dress was made for her. PA is increasing outdoor capacity to 75% so I’m hoping the school lets more people in for graduation. I’m content to watch the live stream if necessary but I would love to be there. Have you tried oat milk? I think it is the best tasting non dairy milk but almond has less carbs and more protein. The last of my mom besties got her shot on Monday so by the 24th we will officially be able to get together worry free! I hope the weather is nice that week for a variety of reasons and if so, we will probably have breakfast, lunch and dinner at the park lol. We’ve stayed close but there’s nothing like an in person conversation! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prom sounds beautiful. Not one of my three chose to attend. Enjoy your friend get together. It was so nice being face to face with people.

      Delete
  4. I also have relatives that won't vaccinate and Hubs mom needs these people to help her. It drives me nuts. But so happy for you to get to go and socialize at book club. I bet that felt great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice night. Well, now we all just need to cross fingers. My MIL was vaccinated pretty early, glad of that since her favorite kid and family won't bother.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a great week Sam. We still some time to wait to be two weeks past our second vaccine so no plans here until towards the end of the month. Oh and I love almond milk too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your May weather is nice for outside time while you count off days. My mind is much more relaxed.

      Delete
  6. I'm taking it slowly as well. I got together outside yesterday with my work colleagues, a great group so it was very enjoyable. All vaccinated. All of my immediate family are vaccinated, extended I don't know but expect they are too. May is a nice month! I hope you get more time to enjoy it with your daughters and husband. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I need to cut the excuses on the house and get focused. I have time coming to me before June 30 and can't let These months be wasted.

      Delete
  7. Has your daughter tried lactose-free milk? I've switched to that altogether, as my husband is lactose-intolerant. Almond milk is lovely and silky, but can be very high in fat and sugar (and it uses a ton of water to produce).

    My province is 40% vaccinated on our first jabs (the 2nd won't be until August or so), and it hasn't even opened up to folks under 40 yet. I'm really happy about that. I'm glad to hear you're staying safe from folks who haven't or aren't getting their shots, Sam! Stay safe!

    As the vaccinations are moving very slowly in Canada (SIGH), we are still under restrictions for gathering, and can't dine in at restaurants yet. We're really hoping that opens up a bit soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of my girls' even use that much of the almond milk so not too worried about fat and sugar. I think I'll give Oat milk a try for her though next shopping trip. I do not understand the hesitancy, but I can't force others to think like me.

      Delete
  8. about the closing sentence: let us hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. stinko again!
    No comments of mine are reaching you !

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.