Last Sunday I over shopped without any meal plan. This week I need to make sure I avoid waste and have a plan for every item in that refrigerator. I'm glad my daughter can take leftovers for her lunch, but DH is still just fruit, snack, and sandwiches. When we had our Happy Hour Tapas dinner last night, the strawberries were quickly tuning so we gobbled them up. DD2 has been bringing an apple every day, but I know there are a few clementine's and some nectarines to be eaten up soon.I was thinking healthy so loaded my cart with peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, cucumber, and greens, but now need to incorporate all /every item into the meals this week, or toss in the freezer for hotdishes in a future date.
With weddings, grad parties, and still a master list of home repairs and fingers crossed renovations on the horizon, throwing produce is like lighting a match to a dollar bill. That's not to mention just want to avoid food waste in general that I find horrible that happens too often in my house. Do you have that issue ever with good intentions of cooking loads of fresh vegetables, and then they end up sitting way too long before being used? With my daughter now going daily to her job that includes food shelf intake and food distribution, I should be keenly aware of how much we have ready access to that others do not. I've not meal planned for so long its not worth revisiting previous weeks, so this is fresh start.
- SUNDAY: Items for lake meals to include chicken-cashew- broccoli,pasta salad, chips and dip, quinoa salad with vegetables (based on what my daughter made a few weeks ago), the last of the old fashion hotdogs, veggies and hummus, lettuce salad, chips and salsa, and rice crispy treats. Lunch and Supper.
- MONDAY: Mushroom stroganoff over egg noodles, broccoli (or th eleftover raw vegetables from Sunday, steamed) and anything else leftover from Sunday.
- TUESDAY: Tacos/ burritos with grilled veggies (peppers, onion, and zucchini), rice and beans
- WEDNESDAY: Stuffed shell pasta and sauce
- THURSDAY: Chicken and stuffing bake, mashed potatoes and corn
- FRIDAY: Homemade pizza
- SATURDAY: Burgers with fixings, potato wedges
This may or may not be accurate to the days but uses up lingering produce. I don't like to use oven when so hot, so not sure about stuffing dish or shells, but could try both in crockpot. I stopped at dollar tree for a couple graduation cards and a few other items and found a bag of hot dog buns and rice-the only grocery Items I have to have. We do need more fresh fruit though so likely will run when we get home tonight to get some seasonal and the basic apples and bananas. That's what I've come up with. How's your menu shaking?