Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Positively Tuesday and More Simple Pleasures

   

Surprise raspberry's next to the surprise wild ferns. 

     It could be a real yuck of a Tuesday since I'm now truly done with vacation. However, with so much extra time banked I took yesterday as an "ease in" day yesterday and purged emails that didn't require much thought and prepped for the rest of the week. And now, back to back only four day work weeks-well three days next week if I can actually take my flex Friday. Getting time to claim as my own is more than a pleasure. Simple things to make life good abound and here's my recap for the week.

  1. Spent a right enough time at my great nephews birthday. He's adorable but the event was way too many people crammed under tents and in a small garage due to the rain all afternoon. I made a quiet exit with subtle goodbyes to hosts without getting cornered by extended family in laws who are pouncers if you know what I mean.
  2. Before I left though, I met a sweet little girl of about 4 who was looking for her new best friend she "didn't know yet" who just grabbed my hand and asked me to help her find her. She was looking for the daughter of her dad's cousin, both on my nephew-in-law's side. It was so sweet, and I must have seemed pretty trustworthy. She then had to introduce me to her  aunt, her mom, her dad, and told them I was her new friend that was  going to find her other new friend. I made sure the parents knew I too was family at the party and not just a strange woman off the street, LOL. 
  3. Another simple pleasure with a story behind it. About six weeks or so, an old childhood friend called and we had a great catch-up. We got to talking about her old house down the country road from mine. The country neighborhood we lived in has vastly changed and she was commenting how she would love to get a peek at the  house she lived in as a child. Well, she called me to share she was visiting her son   last Tuesday with her dad, and took him to see the old neighborhood.  The man that bought their house 43 years ago happened to be outside and her dad wanted to stop and say hello. Well, I knew these "new" neighbors as very happy and kind people, so know where this was heading. Mr. new neighbor proceeded to invite them in for a full on tour. They have since acquired more land, put in an  incredible pool and pool house, plus an addition to make a master  bedroom suite on the main floor. I was so happy for her and her dad. She lost her mom to cancer during the last year, and that was the bittersweet part as she would have loved to have seen the changes as well. Hearing the story was truly a pleasure. Interesting side note, the new neighbors were hosting their grandsons wedding this past Saturday-the grandson who is one of my nephews best friends. While I was nearly teen age when the house change happened and their kids were younger, we knew all the new kids through 4-H. 
  4. Weekend rain was great for the lawn and DH even tackled the overgrown hayfield the back yard was becoming.
  5. During a major purge in closet and found a missing pair of comfy capris pants I had thought I left somewhere never to be retrieved.
  6. Took myself on a successful thrift shopping trip on Friday.
  7. I mastered pizza crust on Sunday! It was the best yeast crust I think I've ever made, and now with all the leftovers, change of pace lunches for a few days. 
  8. Losing weight is so hard, but gaining seems to be easy. I didn't gain any this week!
  9. I woke up with no headaches yesterday and today! I think my body was telling me I was not drinking enough so have been making sure to take those cues 
  10. A few raspberry plants are still thriving-one which sprouted near the deck. I have it marked to dig up to replant when we get the back yard and deck tackled. I love their perseverance despite the neglect of the last decade. 
     That's what I got this week. I had a lazy productive week. Things got done that would not have had I been working, but not enough to make a dent in my project list. Well, I have more days off to come and  the list will still be there. What simple pleasures brought you joy this week?

20 comments:

  1. First the line about finding a new best friend she hadn't met yet is absolutely endearing. So is the story about your friends former house.
    Losing weight__ugh!
    And hurrah to plants that survive our neglect. I read recently that there is no such thing as a black thumb, only untrained green ones. I am here to challenge that theory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I need to pick those few berries and not let the birds get them-which is probably why I have the raspberry plant in a new spot! I must say I had a ping of envy at the grandparents at that party. Some day.

      Delete
  2. It sure sounds like a fantastic week if you ask me! I hope work goes smoothly this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is better if we look for the simple pleasures and not wallow in the let downs. It was not all peaches this week, but yes, a good week.

      Delete
  3. My boss is on vacation, so that makes me happy lol. We’ve gotten to a better place but I still don’t trust her, so a break from her is appreciated. Grocery pickup continues to make my life easier and Target has a sweet 25% off cartwheel you can combine with other deals that I used to stock up on a few things that I’m not brand loyal to(mustard, mayo, pasta) and things that don’t go on sale that often (my beloved Coke Zero, Doritos, Powerade for my son). It’s hotter than heck here so I’m jumping straight in the pool after work since I smartly prepped stuff for tacos early this morning. Our AC is underperforming at work and I feel like even my eyelids are sweating so I cannot wait to get home. I liked the two stories you shared, the little girl sounds like a bit of a firecracker! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hear you on the Coke Zero-or for m, regular diet coke, but I try and limit to no more than 1 per day. I had cut it out for a long while, but just too hard in the summer. I bet you are enjoying that pool.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like such a great week! I adore your "new BFF" story. What a doll. My clothes are starting to get tight, post Hawaii & then also easing into our current beach house trip. As you said, it's so, so challenging to lose the weight, but it goes on like a breeze. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clothes getting tight was an understatement and me with such good hopes back in January. I need to really pay attention to the unattentive eating opportunities.

      Delete
  5. That little girl sounds so sweet.

    I had a woman with a carload of people come to my home and demand to be let in to see the house where she lived as a child. I politely declined and she started to press me, then got nasty! That sealed the deal. She never even asked me, just took hold of the storm door and tried to enter. She may not have been who she said she was. I have actually invited people in who lived there, but not her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a doll. What an ass! I'd have taken her licenses plate and perhaps filed trespassing charges. Maybe extreme but to be pushed at in your own home, that
      s beyond rude-it's terrifying.

      Delete
  6. It was very kind of that family to allow your friend to have a look round her old home. I'm sure it meant the world to them. My sister took my mom back to Wales a few years before she died and the new owners also showed my mom around the house she grew up in about 70 years ago - she said it was lovely to see the old place all done up! And good for you for making a new best (little friend)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends dad is such a jovial guy, as is Mr New neighbor, so I'm sure they got along well! That's a sweet sorry for your mom getting to see the home. As the farmhouse I gre up in until 13 was tore down for a plain split entry house, I don't have a strong affinity to see my parent old house, but seeing the changes to the property, which I can see driving by, has been fun. A few members of my family knew the young man that bought their home and we are all so pleased how much he, and now with a family, seem to enjoy the place and property. It was great place to grow up.

      Delete
  7. Your simple pleasures made me smile - I love the tale of the little girl dragging you around. I have been past the house I grew up in, but I don't have any desire to go inside - my memories are still very vivid of it.

    This week, I'm grateful for: my 2nd jab appointment, that the weather has finally stopped being literal hell on earth, and for my friends and loved ones, who we can now see, hug and spend time with. It has been such a hard 18 months (although there have certainly been others way worse off than me). I look for the joy in the small things, and practice gratitude.

    I hear ya on the weight. Such a frustrating process. Not gaining is a success, though - way to go, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a doll she was. I don't have an affinity for the inside of my childhood hose-well 13 plus, because the old farmhouse was tore down. I can see the property changes-all wonderful and happy the new owners seem to love my parent place. Glad you have appt. 2 for the shot. It feels truly liberating to feel like I am protected, and others around me are protected.

      Delete
  8. What a sweet little girl! And how nice for your friend to be able to see her old home.
    I have never been happy with any pizza crust that I have made, so would love to know your secret.
    Glad your headaches are easing up. I need to drink more water. And lose weight. And exercise more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rust is the simple French bread recipe (two cups warm water, dissolve yeast, add four cups flour with 1 Tbsp. of sugar, keep mixing in until all flour mixed with wet. cover, let rise and hour. Split in two and do a very light knead with a bit of flour to avoid sticking, Spread on the pizza pan (two crusts), covver, let rise about 30 minutes, top and bake for 20-25 minutes at 425 to your degree of doneness. It was so good!

      Delete
  9. That's lovely that your friend was able to visit her old house with her dad. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm picturing how happy it must have made him. My friend was so happy sharing the story.

      Delete
  10. I liked the pizza crust news the most. That sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.