Monday, June 28, 2021

Retirement Goals: Month 1 of 78

     


Warning-long and tediously detailed post is ahead, but if you like number crunching, money management, and to laugh at others financial naivety, this post might be for you.  This will be the start of roughly, fingers crossed, 78 monthly posts documenting my financial preparedness to retiring on November 26, 2027, give or take a month.  I would be exactly 62, and  if planned right, following my husband who should retire four years earlier. As this is month one, I'm dumping all the assets we will be able to draw from in text as a starting reference. 
My intent will be to post this on the last Monday of each month to November 29th, 2027.

401K:This is the where my deferred compensation has been going since I was 31, when I went back to work full time and both of our kids we had at the time, were in school full time. I started small, and each year whatever I received as a percent raise, I increased the same into the account. This first account was 19 years in the making and is holding tight. My second one has about 1/3 the value of the first, an dis the one I am currently putting the max in each years. Combined, it is at 58% of my long term savings target. 

DH has both a 401 K and a profit sharing account from a previous employer that  acts lie a 401K. He was smart in that he converted the original format profit sharing while it was still earning-the company has since folded. Had he not converted, he would have lost those funds. Since he will only be putting in another two years plus a few months, he is about 66% of the target to my retirement date. 

Roth: While we might be able to make nominal additions to this after DH retires, likely we'll only have two more deposits to this after tax account. Currently we can put $14,000 per year as we are both over age 50. This is the account we will use to  cover health insurance once I am no longer working until we reach Medicare age, and then will use for wrap around coverage. What's nice about this account is since we funded with after tax money, unlike the 401K, we'll withdraw principal and interest tax free. Here's my embarrassment. I don't have an accurrate one place tracking for the Roth accounts so that's a must action.

Pension: I have a small pension from a job 30 years ago. It has a tiny value comparably, but it just sort of sits and accrues interest each year, and will be a nice little top off for things like gifts or an annual vacation. I forget I have it when once a year I get a statement. I have a pension with my current employer, but started later in my career, so while it will be nice, it won't cover much of our living expenses. I plan to retire early, but leave it sit  until I reach age 66 so I do not incur any penalties. 

Social Security: While we both according to the  federal government will be eligible to start drawing down at age 62 in a reduced benefit, and 67 in full, I'm leery of putting faith there. DH is still researching if long term would he be better drawing at 62 regardless of whether we need it to cover any expenses. If it goes belly up before we hit 67, we'd have some benefit, but will not be part of our calculator. 

Cash: We have a target of cash that needs to be in our savings when I retire that includes not 3, not 6, but 12 months of living expenses in todays dollars. Some could be in CD's, but not long term-needs to be liquidable. That alone is  risky as inflation will make living expenses higher each year no doubt. The plan for that much is to ride out any dips in the stock market. We have a whole lot more research  to do on how much we are required to withdraw. We have several untouched savings accounts between the two of us that will cover at least six months, so the other needs to be in our cash flow. If we had no priorities to spend on between now and November 2027, I'd claim victory now, but that is not the case. Here's the list of things we are earmarking/have placeholders in our cash flow for:

  • Four semesters of college for DD2 (including a study abroad semester though she has earned those added costs herself)
  • Bathroom remodel-upstairs
  • Bathroom retouch-downstairs
  • Bedroom redecorate
  • Office redecorate
  • Pull old deck, patio pour, furniture, back yard landscaping
  • Supporting wedding costs for three kids
  • Two cross country road trips
  • At least one European vacation
  • Mini vacations on years not doing the road trips or Europe 
  • Replace my car (though we pay ourselves each month and that would come out of a different account like the boat)
     I think you get the picture-a lot of cash will be going out the door in massive chunks over the next 6 1/2 years. For monthly updates, I'll likely track where we are above or under  target for cash savings, not including outputs on the above life priorities. As we spend in those areas, I'll update as to when complete and if we stayed on , under, or over budget. This plan requires us to save in all areas, 52% of our income. Granted, some is pretax and some is after, but in general, that's what is required. 

     Our plans are not to be filthy rich nor is it to scrape by on pennies to afford to retire early, but basically live the same as we do now, but with much more flexibility to our days, health willing. I feel l need to reiterate this is our plan and no one else should compare theirs to ours. We all have different priorities and goals. While I'm happy to have comments and shared journey's and experiences, I'll likely take any advice with a grain of salt, so please don't be on the offensive or offended! Welcome to my retirement goals! 



24 comments:

  1. While you can never cover every eventuality you really do seem to have 99% of your bases covered so here's to both your upcoming retirements!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On paper, I'm really good at planning. It'ss the execution that usually lacks attention! I'll take that cheers with you though!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've done a great job in your planning. I hope everything goes right for you along the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-planned on paper. I need to better understand the Roth and each of us need to understand where the others retirement funds are at.

      Delete
  3. It is so good to plan. I had no idea that hubs health would force him to retire at 65. Since he did not start working a full time job with bennies until he was almost 40 he did not have a long work history. But the State of Idaho has always been super solvent and our insurance benefits for me after his retirement are wonderful. Hubs put every raise he ever got from the State in two different retirement accounts, plus the state forces people to pay into retirement along with SSI and actually it was far more than SSI. SO paychecks were small. I hated the stress and the way we had to live. People in his office made fun of how much money he was saving and since his retirement we have lived better than we ever have. You are so smart to plan ahead my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hubs must be older than you by a bit. As I said, I want to be comfortable, not rich-unless I use a more humble definition of rich to mean rich in love, time, and essentials taken care of.

      Delete
  4. Its great seeing your retirement plans. I found setting a date really helps with staying focused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The date was really necessary as I think we were seeing it as so far in the future, when for DH, we're talking 30 months! It seem like just yesterday I was sharing highschool things on my daughter and now she is half done with college.

      Delete
  5. I love reading stuff like this! I'm working on a similar plan. I'm hoping to quit in February-ish. I may work again, but don't want to "need to", if that makes sense. I have a four year plan (both kids done with high school) & a plan for when my husband turns 62. He's older than me, so it's not too, too far away. We also are misaligned on spending our retirement money. We have about equal amounts saved, and he has no plans to spend his?! I want to spend all of mine. So, lots of conversations ahead about our ultimate goals as a family. I would be supportive of leaving the kids some of our money, but don't want to live super frugally to mandate that.

    We have a long road trip planned in a week together (kids with my parents) & I have topics like these ready to go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your plans will work I was glad to only work part time, or flex week when my kid were young. It meant I could still have time with them, but also grow my career. Now, I want to figure out how to just raise me! I'd like to leave a bit for my kids and or their kids. Neither of us had huge inheritances form my parents or his grandparents, but the unexpected funds helped manage life at a couple key points in life.

      Delete
  6. It looks like you have made a thoughtful plan. I got a very late start, so will go beyond full retirement age. Plus I know that if I live long, I will need long term care given family history. I can't get the insurance, so I am saving as much as I can for that. If SS goes broke I'll have to tap that account for expenses, so I sure hope that doesn't happen!. Good luck with meeting your goals. Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head with the long term health and care costs. My parents live din their own home, as did DH's dad until they passed away, but his grandparent son his mom's side, and my grandma did not. I wish you well in your planning.

      Delete
  7. I love to read about financial plans and goals and the effort that goes into making them possible. Looking forward to reading about this each month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going forward, will be shorter posts with maybe one time per year major check-in. I hope this is not dull to others, but gives people things to think about in their own life.

      Delete
  8. I'm happy that you have a plan! My husband and I are both very money-conscious (neither of us spends very much) and are saving and planning for our retirement. We have a little less than 8 years of work, so about the same timeline as you, Sam. We want to be comfortable, but still be able to travel if we want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to b done working for others when I am still feeling healthy and active to do things that give me joy. I'll forgo fast food (for my health and pocket book), the latest trends, if it means I can get an extra week retired.

      Delete
  9. Maybe there's something I don't know about your particular situation, but if you take SS at age 62, your payment is reduced PERMANENTLY. It doesn't increase when you reach you full retirement age! https://www.aarp.org/retirement/social-security/questions-answers/will-social-security-retirement-benefit-increase.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep-we know this, which is part of the dilemma. If we take it early, we are permanently held lower, and I think DH did the math that it would take until we 74 before the impact of taking SSI early is felt. He was thinking if he took that and kept investing in the Roth, the earnings would mitigate the reduction. Then there is the risk that SSI will still be there when we turn 67-so are we better off taking something at 62 rather than wait.

      Delete
  10. You have really covered all the bases! Great job!
    Thanks for sharing. You have reminded me of things that I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep typing the same thing-on paper, the bases are covered, but implementation might be harder to achieve.

      Delete
  11. Your goals are good ones.
    I haven't figured out my goals yet.
    Yours was helpful for me to think on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Financial goals, on paper, seem more doable than figuring out life goals! IF I retire at 62, base don just my parents ages, I will have 20+ good years of life in me to spend hopefully still being a productive part of society.

      Delete
  12. We are looking at our retirement plans as well. It's a huge, giant, next level step for us and we can't wait, but we are also terrified. lol. Seems like you have all your ducks lined up, which is great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goal realistic goals here, and sensible approach to count your chickens.
    I bet you get these all.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.