Thursday, July 1, 2021

Thrifty Thursday to Start July

     Time to buckle up for the bumpy ride that may be the second half of the 2021. Things are opening, despite the vaccination goal not being met by today. I think pretty much every state now went ahead with the July 1 opening goal if they hadn't already. I still keep my mask handy and know with the variants, there are people at risk. Things are open and that means more places to spend our time, add to the stuff we accumulate, and spend money. Meanwhile, in my little world, I'm still tiring to be economical as we close the year  with my time, resources, and of course our money. Here's my recap.. 

Time

  • Did I make good use of my time off last week? Well, I was able to jump back into work full force and had a bit of vigor and energy. It was time well taken even if I didn't do as much as I originally planned. 
  • Spend hours on a rainy day purging my closet again with the goal of reducing by at least two, but hoping for  four, items of clothing for every new to me item I bought in the last year. I have done other purging, but this was a super purge.
  •  DD1 dropped the clothes off for me as she works only about a mile from a Goodwill, saving me time. She got the receipt with the coupon for me as well! 
  • Most of my trivia playing friends couldn't make it, and we got there late to a packed brewery. As we had to stand at the counter to pal, my daughter and I only played the first half, but then went for a short walk to  the river. I gave myself  permission to end an activity that while normally gives me joy, was not last night, but spending time with the girls always is. 
Resources  
  • I used four frozen bananas to knock out some bread for weekend and to put in the freezer. 
  • I used up quite a few odds and ends lingering in the freezer and refrigerator to avoid waste such as  1/2 bag of frozen meatballs, two fish fillets, a handful of pepperoni and odds and end cheeses. 
  • Purchased two shirts and two bottoms, new to me, at thrift stores. All were in perfect condition and once washed and worn once, no different than bought brand new. 

Money

  • It's my own money, but we got back $640 in medical reimbursement from my eye glasses. We already paid the bill with the others in June so this went right into savings. 
  • DH had a earned perk deposited today as well into our bank account. 
  • With eating down the fridge and freezer, I bought very few groceries this week, only necessities. Avoiding waste is great for cash flow and environment. I even sent DD2 with a watermelon that didn't get used the previous weekend to her friends lake cabin-saving her a bit of money and contributing to the food (even though the family said not to bring anything.)
  • DD2 took leftovers three days this week for work. She has a smaller appetite in single meals, but is a healthy snacker, so the  small leftover amounts were perfect for her lunch, accompanied by yogurt, fruit, and carrots and hummus, any of which she might eat on a break. .
  • No take out or meals out in the last week. 

     Nothing was a huge win, but also no savings were burdensome-just the regular things of life. Trying to stay on top of food waste is my biggest challenge and I'll continue to out effort there. It might mean oddly creative meals, but if we are fed  healthy meals with items we like, what does it matter if they are untraditional? How about you? What ways did you save or make good use of time? Are you open to eating  odd food combinations as aprt of a cleaning out the food stores effort? 

22 comments:

  1. I, too, am a healthy snacker. And, I don't care if foods go together, either. It's too bad trivia was not fun for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food in, if it tastes good is a joy. I had fun-just not the same without the group ad I didn't like standing!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you made good use of your time, resources and money. All of those things add for sure. I think it is great to try not to waste food. I have some odd meals sometimes, to use leftovers. Dh calls those my eclectic meals. We had fajitas one day with leftover green beans.
    Hope you have a wonderful July 4th weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eclectic Cooking-sounds like a theme for a future post.

      Delete
  3. Some times I can waste time and here it is Thursday and I still have three wedding dresses to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waste time regularly- which is why I try and document when I don't.

      Delete
  4. I love the term oddly creative meals. I am going to start using it!
    It sounds like you had a very good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy's husbands eclectic cooking sounds charming as well.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good week Sam. I don't recall having to eat any odd combinations while using things up from the fridge and freezer. There has been zero spending here as usual other than grocery shopping for the week and only spent $42 on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you and your food stay safe during the hurricane weather. Is it touching you?

      Delete
  6. I’m trying to make good use of my one day off this week, combining sleeping in and then hustling throughout the house to get stuff done. Deep cleaning the bathroom was high on my list, as well as dusting, vacuuming and mopping. Also gave the storm doors a proper cleaning. I’ve got laundry in the washer, chicken thawing for a Chinese inspired dish with zucchini and mushrooms in a light garlic ginger sauce as well as using the leftover taco meat for a taco pasta dish. I feel like I haven’t had a normal weekday off in forever. It seems strange to be home this time of day! Break time over. Back at it before I sit too long and lose my momentum. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh-my bathroom is definitely in need of a deep clean. Had to give the dog an extra bath and that never ends well. I think your meal combos sound tasty.

      Delete
  7. Every little win adds up to a bigger win. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does-we have more goals than money, so better to save where we can.

      Delete
  8. Well done on purging clothes. I've gotten rid of about 4 bags recently, but it is quite depressing to try on things that are ok-ish but then realize even they are getting too small now!!!! And you're right about eating down your food supplies. Darn it, I need to do that just so I can figure out what all I have in my freezers and pantry! I'm trying to think of an excuse as to why I haven't done it so far. I mean, it's not like I don't have the time right? I guess you'll find out for yourself when you retire but having 100% free time doesn't necessarily equate to 100% efficiency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could do another purge and not make a dent in my closet. DH is net-then cupboards and closets. I'll get there.

      Delete
  9. Our new foundation was dug today! Thus, I am on another no-spend month. Also, I am trying to clear out the canned goods in the pantry/meats in the freezer as best I can, so meals for the next 8 months (worst case) are going to be, shall we say, interesting. In all honesty, at the kids' stages of life, they are rarely home for meals, preferring to eat on their way to or from work, so meal preparations (mainly dinners) have become a lot easier.
    I LOVE a good closet purge. I'm quite minimalist in my wardrobe now--had to struggle to pull together a fairly dressy outfit for DD's graduation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting the foundation dug-exciting. I don't envy moving again, but for reason to purge heavily, it works.

      Delete
  10. I am watching the fridge to assure the leftovers are eaten not thrown out
    Today I work some more on the forming budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find going through checkbook, visa statements, etc. helps figure out where I spend, then we look regularly to see where we are off budget on paper to what we are actually spending. Then we tweak to reality and choice.

      Delete
  11. I am definitely open to odd food combinations to save food from wasting. Sounds like you did a great job with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, sometimes new meal options emerge from the creativity.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.