Friday, August 27, 2021

Last August Friday W's

 


     I had a back to work but very non-normal, in the dare I say it, new normal world I live in now. I've had something every night this week, from meet-up to an online meditation class. I met new neighbors that move din this month across the street, a young couple, np kids. I'm back to a quiet hours later afternoons and early evenings with my daughter back at school, as well as during the day, but I haven't been around much to take them in. As August ends and we transition to September, the start of fall as soon as Labor Day is done despite what the calendar says, I'll start my recap there. 

What's top of mind: The start of the school year is on my brain for work, community, and personal connections. Next week will be packed as most districts start school on September 7th in Minnesota. I've seen pictures of family in other states posting first day pictures already. Our towns school board met Wednesday night and all hell broke loose on Facebook with the decision that masks would be required through 8th grade. Of course, had the decisions been reverse, it would have exploded as well-probably more so as I think there might be more leaning towards masks than not. In my home, DD2 did safely load her car and we did not need to make the trek four hours each way. She Facetimed me Tuesday night and gave me the tour. She started classes yesterday and  messaged that she really liked them so far. She of course is pretty much all in her two major and minor classes having all her generals out of the way. 

Where I've been: Call me Sam the wanderer this week. Monday night was a meet-up with the  Mom's of Teens group, Wednesday was trivia, and last night I met with the soup mom's, my friend bunch that came out of our daughters first being friends. J couldn't make it because they had two positive Covid tests on Thursday-both her daughter, my DD2's bestie, and her husband had both heavy  cold symptoms, but also taste and smell issues. He was not vaccinated, but the daughter was. 

Where I'm going:  I'm staying put today and tomorrow! Maybe I'll walk or bike to the store for a few fresh groceries, but I want to tackle the extra bedroom that became a dumping ground for DD2's stuff. Stuff, and yet more stuff, is the theme in my house isn't it? If the weather is nice, we'll go to the lake for the day on Sunday. With all the rain, DH will want to  turn the bilge pump on on the boat and let it dry out a bit. We need to burn up some gas before we store it this fall. 

     We have a family birthday on Tuesday night for my twin niece and nephew and their older brother-his actual 18th birthday. These are the twins that I ordered the hoodie sweatshirts and  t-shirts for. They came this week and the one for my nephew looks huge-I can wear it, but I did order in the size mom suggested. I never worry about something like a sweatshirt being too big-especially for an 11 year old boy, No doubt he will grow inches each month. He passed DD2 in height this summer. His next oldest brother at 14 is already over 6 feet tall, the oldest is probably close to being done and I think is about 6  foot 1 or so. Basically, this rambling is to say, I'm pleased with the clothing items and think they will get good wear by the kids. The teen will get cash-and movie theater size candy. 

What I'm reading:  I got my first issue of the Real Simple subscription I opted back into. It came with two supplementary  issue-101 Container Ideas, and Our Best Storage Solutions.  have not opened them yet, but this will be my reading tonight and tomorrow night. 

What I'm listening to: While I'm back to work, my boss and so many others are on vacation this week, so I've had a lot of  solid work time free on my calendar. I like to stream BBC World News or MN Public Radio and have been able to do this. All week. 

What I've been watching: I've watched a few more episodes of Criminal Minds-I need to stop, but it is gruesomely addicting. Maybe it makes me feel like if I know the  threats, I can better avoid them. Naivety at its best. With staying home tomorrow night, I thought DH and I should look for something to watch and have a movie night. Recommendations requested. 

What I'm eating:  Too much! Last night with the mom's I had a ridiculously delicious crispy chicken club sandwich and perfect French fries. Today, I will eat a lot of fruit and steamed vegetables-balance right? Tuesday I cooked up some Trader Joe's three Cheese tortellini in a creamy cheese sauce. It was pretty darn tasty and there were leftovers for my lunch on Wednesday. I still have not bought corn on the cob and the season will be gone soon. Maybe I will drive to pick some up. My daughter is working out of state this week, and passed a free produce stand, someone's surplus garden produce, and was going to make a huge salad with her find. I had envy.

Who I'm paying attention to: I'm paying attention to the next actions of the president and the military in Afghanistan. It truly is a no win situation. I am a bit sick of the ageism of Biden. He's only a few years older than Trump, and despite a speech impediment is much more articulate than we had for four years.  Even with this crisis, he at least is calm and isn't adding fuel to the fire. It is a sad cluster*&^%$, though, and feels quite without a sorrowful end.

     Then, there is the FDA approval of the Pfizer vaccine. I'm following to see if there is an uptick again in people choosing to be vaccinated because of this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I do wish  laymen would stop saying, "I've done my research" as their reason why they won't get vaccinated. No, they found articles, and videos, to confirm their own bias. I am guilty of it too-we all are, But I tend to still trust that  organizations like the  American Pediatric Association and the American Medical Association who are advocating for vaccinations and mask wearing, and direct care nursing staff who have nothing to gain by promoting false preventative measures, and everything to gain with getting more people protected and not ending up in the hospital. I guess there will be those that argue that there is some other motive. 

What I'm planning:  More cleaning and purging this weekend as mentioned before. We also are planning a retirement/71st birthday party (missed his 70th as he was in Florida and not traveling) for my brother this fall. It will be an outdoor  potluck/BBQ at a big park. I also have to get the next family park cleanup planned. 

What's Making Me Smile: Monday night, one of my favorite Mom's group members, had multiple entertaining stories to share to get us all caught up on her life. Like me, she is one of the older mom's, but still has a junior in high school. She is the second wife of her husband who had  young teens when they got married, so she also has grandchildren already. She teaches 6-8 work out classes a week at the YMCA and  looks like she is at least 15 years younger than she is. When she tells stories, it is arms, body and legs as part of the tale. She kept so many of us active during stay at home with zoom work out sessions. She is an example of good people! 

     We had rain last night and may get more off and on today. I welcome that! It's not soup weather, but I am thinking about using my crock pot for something. What are you all having for inner tonight-I have no clue, but will rummage in the freezer later this afternoon. That's about all I got this week. If you'd like to play along, please do!

19 comments:

  1. The school year is on top of my mind as well. Eldest registered for a class, in spite of it being a hybrid class--he figured it was as good as it was going to get for a while. Fingers crossed. The class is anthropology--he will get some on campus time, fortunately. The irony of anthropology being taught online is not lost on me.
    I actually spent a day with a friend this week--we headed out so she could help her daughter's friend who is in beauty school, by getting a wash, cut and blow dry. Generally, neither of us would drive 1 hour in traffic and pay $16 for something we can do in 10 minutes at home, but it was fun. I got to sit in the car with the windows rolled down and read while I waited. On the way back north, we made several necessary stops, including Costco. Other than that, I've been home. I've had the neighbor's daughter most days while her son attends summer school--so many bright kids (30%) failed courses due to the remote learning. Today is my last day with her. Last night she was here until 8 p.m., because her brothers and my youngest wanted to work out, and then eat out. As I foresee another lock down, I agreed willingly. Today is our last day of their summer session, then the school year commences, so she won't be coming over daily, but I have offered to help get her to and from dance in the fall.
    Yes, the FDA approved the vaccine, but cognitive dissonance is a pernicious thing. When did we, as a nation, become so stupid?
    BTW, how many Kurds did Trump help when we left Syria? Oh, yeah, none...and *%*% Prince. We've gotten over 17,000 out. How do people really think war ends? It ends sorrowfully, that's how. And we should have ended it 15 years ago--seriously, I doubt the average American even knew we were there much past 2004. I somehow think Americans have come to view war as a spectator sport, like football. Ack, I've hijacked your post again...sorry.
    Risotto tonight--would have made it last night, but the little girl wouldn't have touched it. DH and I ate a cheese tray, she had mac and cheese, and the others weren't around. Tomorrow, the neighbor and I are taking her daughter (who I've been watching) my youngest and one of her sons clothes shopping. Not thrifty, but I figure it's more fun and economical to go together, when we'd be going to the same places anyway. (Also, she's buying lunch for us for me taking her daughter all summer.)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Community helping each other- I loved your sharing helping your friend and communal shopping.

      Delete
  2. You have had a busy week socially!
    Top of mind...health issues. Daughter and her fiance struggling with mental health, other daughter, aged 33, just diagnosed as being on autistic spectrum, and I finally have my neurology appointment.
    Where I've been ... the cafe twice this week.
    Where I'm going... we're having a night away in a lovely hotel next week.
    What I'm reading... nothing much.
    What I'm listening to... a lot of 70s stuff. Its taking me back to my youth!
    What I've been watching...Paralympic coverage.
    What I'm eating... more, what I'm not eating. I've cut out the crap and feel better for it.
    Who I'm paying attention to... the disciplined me, as I battle with myself over food and exercise.
    What I'm planning... activities for the days either side of our overnight stay.
    What's making me smile... the thought of that night away. It's needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worry about my older daughter if social connections have to be pulled back. She is an extroverted introvert-overwhelmed with too many people, but thrives on connections with like minds. Enjoy your get away. I'm going to be slowing pace down now, taking advantage to get life organized.

      Delete
  3. Oooo you sound very busy. Will you be full time back at work? Or will you work some days from home? For tomorrow's dinner, I made a small pot of Tom Kha soup since I needed to use a can of coconut milk and I had some mushrooms and chicken on hand. I use a pressure cooker to cook meat and beans. Never had a crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plans are one day per week in office, rest telework.It will be my day I'll grocery shop and run errands, and have my weekend s to get more productive things done. Your soup sounds yummy.

      Delete
  4. You have really been busy. It must be nice to be able to meet up with friends again. I've been working at decluttering and organizing our house. At lease the main floor which includes LR,DR,Kitchen,BR,Bath and office. Plus an add on which is equivalent to a 3 season porch but more enclosed. It's been a challenge and after yesterday, I am feeling it. It is a huge relief and a feeling of accomplishment though, and worth the aches the next day. A good part of the project involved items from my FILs house after being cleared and my dads stuff, after going into assisted living this past year. So much stuff and that's after selling, donating and throwing an enormous amount of things. I am making sure I do not do the same to my family by hanging onto items that I don't use and can be useful to someone else. No hoarding. I still have a ways to go but I can easily see the light at the end of the tunnel. There were times that I never thought I would get this far. The rain was really nice and with the chance of more coming. Just hope enough reaches the fires further up north. Help the firefighters out. Last I heard the Greenwood fire had doubled in size. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dealing with 30 years and 3 kids worth to organize. It's hard work but I'll be happy as I see progress. The fire is so worrying and sad. We need more rain, and then again, more rain.

      Delete
  5. You have been busy! I'm glad that you have had some fun get togethers with friends and family. Hope your daughter will have a good semester, and I hope work goes well for you. Hope your hubby is feeling rested from vacation too.
    I'm looking forward to fall and cooler weather. I want to fix some soups and stews and chili and such. We've been watching the Marvel "What If" series, and it has been interesting, but we are Marvel fans. Need a bit of escapism these days. Watched Luca for family movie night, and it was cute too. Trying not to dwell too much on politics or covid, but I am heartsick for the Afghanistan people. I feel so sorry for the healthcare workers too, having to deal with another covid surge and deaths that might have been prevented. So tired of all the lies and misinformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed Luca. I now need to focus on the house, and here I am on Blogger again.

      Delete
  6. We're in the terrible COVID times of poor air quality due to fires, with schools (and other places) needing the kids to be outdoors for things like lunch. Restaurants needing outdoor dining options due to indoor restrictions, etc. We went through this last year during fire season, & I find myself having almost no tolerance this year. Which is...not particularly helpful. ;-)

    If soccer happens tomorrow (air quality TBD), we will have a full day of volunteering (me), and three soccer games between the kids. We're also taking out the boys & a couple of their friends for dinner. Again TBD, as the restaurant has only outdoor seating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a catch-up with my son. He's been busy still, but with friends outdoors. I don't know his air quality. Stay safe.

      Delete
  7. School started yesterday for my youngest, our last first day. It went well enough but she gives it “four days” before they shut down. We’ve been slammed at work with back to school shoppers. We made our incentives, so I’ll get a nice little bonus from that. They store is literally being run by four managers and two good associates. People are calling off and changing availability and when they bother to show up barely do any work. It’s disgusting. We are planning a little trip up to either Lake Erie or Pymatuning tomorrow with a pit stop at daughter’s boyfriends college to pick him up. They are so excited. Young love! His mom has been texting her and I think it’s so sweet that she wants to stay close even with him away. The weekend looks nice and toasty but a cool down and lots of rain are heading our way next week so this will most likely be the last days of the pool. My niece turns three on Sunday. They are having a small party since they are in the midst of moving to Florida. I made my version of beef stroganoff for dinner but I could really go for a pizza. I’m watching our high school football team play our biggest rival in our week zero game online, currently winning 21-7. Looking forward to breakfast with my mom squad on Tuesday. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing about the turnover even when people take jobs. Here, my kids working three! My friend's son plays football do we'll pay attention. Enjoy your mom time.

      Delete
  8. Amen to who I'm paying to! I can tolerate the speech impediment. I spent a year, almost two yelling at the tv when our last president spoke! Even with the speech impediment, our present leader represents the good in people. Tommy has a speech impediment that I can handle. I abhor war even though war is how we are strong. But, it takes a cohesive people to succeed. I cannot stand how trump keeps mouthing off at every turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why can't they organize together. Trump's admin started the pull out, Burdens following through. Chaos was going to happen when it's happening in a forever war zone. This is a Trump decision I didn't disagree with, but for people to say there was a plan and Biden didn't follow are delusional. When did Trump have a full plan for anything?

      Delete
  9. My life is mirroring yours again in that I'm finally getting to sort/declutter/clean the top bedroom since my son moved out last week. Man is it a dusty dummp!!! Thing is, I hardly cleaned up there while he was with me because his stuff was all over the place. I'll let you know if I find any dead bodies under the bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get near the progress I need. She accumulated so much. Good luck with your clear out.

      Delete
  10. As an old bachelor I am relieved I don't have to deal with school/children matters; it sounds so awful for the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.