Monday, August 23, 2021

Van Gogh Comes to Minneapolis




     If you don't want spoilers, skip this post but I had a lot of requests to take and share pictures. On Saturday, my daughter treated me to a lovely morning being immersed in the work of Vincent Van Gogh. This was my Mother's Day gift and I can't think of a better way to feel appreciated. We parked a few blocks away to avoid either $10 lot parking, it $12 plus tip valet. The tickets were enough! 
It was a fully masked event, with two galleries showing same show. We misunderstood and thought two sides of gallery 1 was the first and second. If you go in Minneapolis, I suggest go to gallery 2, as social distancing would be much better. Still, it was amazing. 

     There were a few photos ops before the gallery such as the table and chairs placed just so, and while not part of the exhibit, the Starry Nights over the Mississippi  in the back ground called to have a little  bistro seating alongside. The show ended of course being led through a gift shop after to get all things Van Gogh. While I'd have loved a mug, apron, an umbrella, or stationary, we resisted. I plan to get a multi photo frame with a few of these or the ones still on my phone. It was amazing to perhaps feel what he saw as he was painting, and I know that wasn't captured in the photos, but perhaps you might get a taste. Some pictures were mine, but the better are sure to be my daughter's. I wonder what he might think to know that 131 years after his life, a life spent lonely and unappreciated as an artist, that people would be flocking all over the world to see a new medium bringing his work to life. We both took some video snips to capture a minute here and there, but mostly just enjoyed.  I hope you do as well.












26 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review!
    What lovely pictures and an amazing experience!
    There will be a showing 2 1/2 hours away from me, do you think it is worth the drive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would depend on how much you woudl enjoy the "immersion". I am a huge Van Gogh appreciator-love his color, his brush stroke, the story in the paiitng. was mesmerized. We had an hour long pass, so could watch form start to finsih twice, in a differnt spot, so we got a new perspective. No one really watched who came ad went, and quite frankly, if my butt cheeks weren't getting sore form sitting on the floor, I could have stayed through another couple runs. If you have other things to do in the area, and this is soehting you enjoy, I woud say it might be worth it. It was quite expensive too, but I do't know how I would ever have this kind of opportunity othrerwise. We did a few more things in the cities, so made a 1/2 day of it.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what lovely photos. In the first one he really captured the lights as they spread across the water. It is amazing that people love his work all these years later but they were so poor in their own lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the sadness of his story, though. To be never recognized until you are long gone. The way he does water and sky is stunning.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing these photos. What a fantastic present! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter knows me well. I'll sit at the MIA museum in Minneapolis and stare a the one Van Gogh for an hour.

      Delete
  4. His work is absolutely stunning. It is sad to know that he had a miserable life. Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool that you got to see this exhibit, Sam! I was lucky enough to see the original "Starry Night" at the Los Angeles Museum of Art in 1979 (I think, maybe 1976). It was incredible to see the actual painting, and look at the depth of the paint - it was gouged out, it was so thick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That woudl be a fantastic expereince. We waited i line athe National Gallery in London to see SunFlowers-I had tears.

      Delete
  6. I love Van Gogh's works. These are beautiful photos. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Mom and I are going to see this on Saturday in Ottawa. I can’t wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ihpe I did nt spoil, but the expereince is not the same as snapshots.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for showing this. I'm not a great art fan but I love how colourful his work is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know art well, but know what moves me. His work does.

      Delete
  9. I am skipping this post because I want to see it when it comes here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you avoided spoilers though snapshots are not even close tot eh experience.

      Delete
  10. Stunning! What a neat experience. The 7th pic down reminds me of the Point in Pittsburgh, the confluence of the three rivers, but of course it’s not lol. Do you happen to know the name of the piece? JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bleieve that is Starry Night over the Rhone, but might be mistaken. The picture withthe table and chairs was actually a reproduction on the wall and they calle dit Starry Night over the Mississippi of course for Minneapolis.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. And now, I feel like a have a few little pieces.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.