Wednesday, September 1, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-Use It Up

     

This is what is left from Sunday.

     After  a footloose and free spending month on food in August, I'm really going to try and pinch pennies and rely on humble recipes, basics, and use it up ingredients. It's no secret if you read my blog, I'm a bit of YouTube geek-love all the things you can learn from other people. I wish some of these folks and this platforms were around when I was a younger mom raising kids and trying to keep my family fed and healthy. One of my favorites is Mindy from  See Mindy Mom. She does grocery and meal challenges, use it up videos, new recipes, and seems like just a nice person. She did a use it up snack video that inspired me to make the recipe I'll share below, though I looked in both my church cookbooks, and there is was! 

     While Mindy used up all the loose ends of cereal she had, saved in a sealed container for these bars (pan cookies, treats, whatever your part of the world calls them), I had a box of rice crispy cereal sitting around and used that. I also halved my recipe and used a smaller pan, as we don't need more treats sitting around to just tempt me. I also melted the last of a bag of Trader Joe's chocolate chips, the ones that are vegan, so these were more like a traditional Special K bar. I never make these and do not understand why I haven't over the years. So easy, and a bar has enough sweet punch to curb that craving for a candy bar. My version are accidentally vegan and gluten free, but don't mistake for healthy.  My version:

Cereal PB Bars

  •  1/2 cup Karo (corn) syrup
  • 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (iused crunchy)
  • 3 cups cereal
  • 1 cup of chocolate chips with a touch of Crisco to melt
On low heat, dissolve the sugar in the corn syrup. Add the peanut butter once sugar is melted and keep stirring until all is silky. add the rice crispy cereal. Spread in a lightly sprayed or parchment lined 8 by 8, or in my case I used a 6 by 10 (the smaller) rectangular pan. Melt chocolate chips with a tsp or so Crisco to help with smoothness, and frost the bars with the chocolate. It will set frim once all cool down .I cut mine in to 18 good size bars. I've since cut the bars in half (see above) to resist eating too much, but I've been nibbling this week. 

Here's Mindy's full Use it Up Treat Video. 


16 comments:

  1. Oh what a neat recipe, Sam. I will have to try it out and check out her YouTube channel. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sweet-a half recipe goes a long way.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip about Mindy. I'm always looking for new sources of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because she still has a young and active family at home and is catering to their needs, some of the content doesn't work for me, but she does individual challenges as well on food shopping.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I never would have thought to use all the leftover cereal into a single recipe.

      Delete
  4. Oh darn! A delicious recipe right when I am beginning a "use food storage for the month ", I happen to have an abundance of all the ingredients, and am not doing keto this week. I wonder what will happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect game day treat! Plus you could likely freeze and use over a few game days.

      Delete
  5. I Like Mindy also, and I love Youtube videos. It is my go to when I need to learn something. How ever I would eat the whole pan so will not be making these. I have no self control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made half a recipe. I guess it could easily be quartered as well. I have a nice size glass square that would work for a 1/4 recipe.

      Delete
  6. I have a box of Special K with bananas, and I cannot force myself to eat it. I really hate it. Maybe taking the bananas out and tossing them for the birds will work. I have everything to do this, but wonder...should I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't even bother to take the bananas out. PB and chocolate go great with banana flavor.

      Delete
  7. Crisco! I did not know it still exists !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Though I buy in the bars that are easy to measure instead of the big cannister.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.