Friday, April 22, 2022

Friday Free for All- Not the Weather

      Let's get it out there and done. The weather does not care that the calendar says April 22. Bitter cold and snow one day, sun and then rain the next. 

Rain likely in the morning, then a chance of rain early in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 50s. Southeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts around 35 mph.

I'll do outside stuff when I can, and indoor when I can't. The weather conditions are a free for all, just like my Friday posts.

Plant life 

     More than two weeks ago I took photos of the first buds of the lilac bush by the pond. Nothing has changed! I'll snap another one later today to share tomorrow. My indoor plants need help though- suggestions? I've been trying to propagate another from my porthos, but they just die. I've got the one healthy one in the vase that's been there for 28 months but have tried three additional times and they've all shriveled to brown. My daughter's aloe though is amazing. She brought home a little nub and look at it now. Yes, that a Christmas Amaryllis I never potted. 




I love plants in the house but they don't seem to share the love back. I'll keep trying. I thought I'd share how the Easter tulips are now, nearly seven day's after buying totally closed flowers.


Live Music Weekend

I have loads to do this weekend, but my favorite brewery is having an anniversary weekend with music multiple days and nights. Yes, it's beer, but they've really created a welcoming community gathering spot, something our twin needed. It's not Cheers, but a good place to meet up with someone and you all know I love their Trivia nights. 

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

     I'm having a nightmare with payroll. I donated 40 hours of vacation to the pool for a colleague who's exhausted all sick time. I also I took advantage of being able to convert up to 40 hours to my 401K. Kick me in the jaw please, as what should have been net transactions resulted in me losing over half my take home pay. I don't know if the payroll tool is flawed or an error on his part, but I'm now battling to get this resolved. I got a sort of rude answer saying my conversions made my taxable income increase. What!! I didn't get these funds that were hours converted to the sick pool so how is it taxable income? 401K is pre-taxed. Furthermore, he applied the 6% pension match to both conversions and also multiples my regular 30% 401K deposit to both conversions. These all came out of my net.  We have means to ride this out until resolved, but I won't exactly be crowing about doing good deeds or taking advantage of a benefit that ended up creating a potential financial hardship.

      I'm annoyed, but not despondent as I think the payroll should get resoled soon. I might get a wrist slap, but I brought in our HR director on this because I want them to get this fixed before others try this and the whole donation leaves a sour taste. That's my Friday free for all. I've a full work day, but then my weekend, work will not even be a thought. Please join me in the comments. 



16 comments:

  1. I had to laugh when I read your "conversations made your taxable income increase". I thought maybe the guy was p.... off at you and decided to mess you around. But I hope it gets sorted soon because losing half your expected pay check is NO fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well auto spell on my end- should have read conversion. But, since he's not responded to any of the follow-up emails where I found and pointed out all the issues, he's probably pissed off!

      Delete
  2. We had that happen right when Hubs retired. So, we had to weather two months without his check. He always donated the most he could every year to others, but it bit us in the end. Oh well we were well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't make sense to penalize a person for donating. I checked and rechecked. No hint that this would be the result.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...I can see the conversion of vacation hours being taxable income because they would be taxed at source if you took the vacation pay (or took vacation and were paid at that time). You would get a donation if the transfer was a charitable donation but since it's not it would not be. But the conversion to your 401(k) doesn't make sense to me at all. Good luck resolving it!

    Enjoy your afternoon at the gathering. It does sound like fun. Sorry, I can't help with the plants. I'm having a heck of time just getting seeds to germinate for my tomatoes and peppers. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither makes sense to me. The person that gets the vacation will be taxed as well. Like I said, punished for trying to do a decent thing. Glad I can pay my bills. Others might not.

      Delete
  4. It's 81 degrees here right now so Spring is heading your way I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposedly, 70s this weekend. It's howling outside now though.

      Delete
  5. ugh, I'm sorry about the lost pay esp since you were just trying to help a colleague. Hope that things are resolved soon.
    Have a fun time at the music weekend. Your plants look good to me. The only indoor plants that I haven't killed are those spiky snake plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the green and want more so that was my intent. The one in green pot has some browning.

      Delete
  6. Holy smokes, I hope you get your HR snafu sorted out soon, Sam! That sucks! I had a similar issue back when the pandemic started, when they clawed back all my "overpayments" - it sucked. And all because you wanted to do something nice!

    I LOVE plants, but I am a plant-killer. You will not see a single plant in my house. I can't have flowers because "someone" (named Vizzini the cat) likes to attack them and chew on them. Sigh.

    Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not exactly a " poster moment" to encourage future vacation donation is it? This plants have been kind to me for about 7 years. Why I can't get new ones to start is my mystery. Pup ignores after a sniff.

      Delete
  7. If I had a payroll error or issue it would be fixed immediately. How in the world is giving a coworker your PTO taxable to you

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I lived in the midwest nothing got me more cross than winter weather in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting more cross, but I guess nothing to do about it so pointless to be cross.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.