Saturday, April 23, 2022

Menu with Apathy

 


      There's weeks I thoroughly enjoy cooking and take pride in what comes from my kitchen. This was not that week. I'm
 in a not caring food mood. Meal planning really was meal suggesting last week and feel like next will be the same. I had an annoying headache just about every day after work and thinking about meals was the last thing on my mind. We ate none the less. Here was plan and reality.

  • Sunday:  Easter dinner, small plate appetizers and sandwiches later
  • Monday: Curry, or leftovers ( send back food with daughter) Sent all curry back, I ended up making four burger patties I found lurking in the freezer into Salisbury steak and served with mashed potatoes
  • Tuesday: Homemade baked Mac and cheese or tuna hotdish DH bought himself a frozen pizza and my daughter came over and we made a roasted potato and veg bowl
  • Wednesday: Toastie dogs in crescent rolls, homemade French fries Ended up using   leftover pasta sauce from weekend and 1/2 bag cheese ravioli, baked
  • Thursday: Butternut squash ravioli in mushroom sauce, with haloumi and roasted vegetables, Toastie dogs was shifted to Thursday. Don't judge. A good toastie dog is a simple pleasure
  • Friday: DH, fish, baked potatoes I made DH the fish, I had some hummus and olives on Italian bread, then too much popcorn.
  • Saturday: Freezer/ fridge surprise, which ended up being a pepper jack 1/2 quesadilla for me, and DH had a big lunch so just ate a huge bowl of grapes, but snacked later
     I did a weekly shop/ top off but surprisingly, not surprisingly, it added up very quickly. It was mostly fresh dairy, produce, and meat, so at least I feel we got actual food. I avoided convenience foods as both not great for us and where I'm seeing the biggest jumps in price. I supplemented some fresh fruit and veg with frozen. Pups dry and canned food has gone up- dry about 15%, but his wet like 40%. We put about 2/3 cup wet on top of his dry to get a bit more fluids in him and he digests better, but he doesn't do well with too much of the wet. He'll only eat a certain kind too- must be a steak like cut in gravy. We won't change though as he's older, but pretty healthy so safer to stick to what he needs. I didn't get eggs. I have enough for DH as he shouldn't have daily, and I can bake with flax seed and or banana. It'll be another whatever we feel like eating week I presume. Still, I'll at least try and wing a plan in place.
  • Sunday:  I'll make apple cinnamon oatmeal muffins, and some to freeze, with fresh pineapple ( had them at store for $1.25) and strawberry's ( likely traveled a ways, but were $2.64 for the pound and thought the treat was worth it) in a bit.  Supper is TBD, depending on what we do for the day, but as it's cold again, I might make some pasta fagiole soup with sandwiches as I can throw it all in crockpot. I wanted to get some pots and other strewn stuff cleaned up on yard and deck. That could be cold work.
  • Monday: Butternut squash ravioli in a butter sauce, and haloumi
  • Tuesday: Taco Tuesday, rice, and beans ( I know it feels like we have this a lot, but it seems to be an alternating week meal)
  • Wednesday: Cottage pie or maybe chili, as I can have some ready for my daughter too.
  • Thursday: Chicken bacon ranch wraps, potato salad ( I'm going to try and make my own. I always over cook the potatoes so wish me luck)
  • Friday: Homemade baked macaroni, spinach, and cheese 
  • Saturday: Maybe go out, but if not, freezer and fridge finds as there likely will be leftovers
     We had some nibbles last night with a couple hard seltzers and I enjoyed some music downtown. I'm running my daughter to the airport later as she has a business trip. They don't get reimbursed for parking- is that not stupid, but she could have gotten reimbursed an Uber.  It's a quick trip for me at least and she's at the easy terminal. I'll pick her up Wednesday night. Not much else going on from the weekend, but keeping on doing what needs to be done. Are you planning anything new this week? Have you eaten down miscellaneous lingerers?

14 comments:

  1. I wasn't in the mood to cook for most of the week so it was all simple meals. Eggs on toast with breakfast sausage, sloppy joes, hamburgers and fries and last was find some leftovers and eat them. I can't recall the rest of the meals.

    We enjoy taco meat so I make a batch up every couple of weeks. It mostly used for salads and wraps. I figure if you like something, why not eat it regularly?

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got three packages if taco meat right now. Definitely will have one night.

      Delete
  2. I just might take advantage of this cooler weather and make chili one more time. Not a favorite of husband but make it so rarely, he finds it to be acceptable. If it warms up later in the week, will probably make a nice pasta salad with fafalle, broccoli, cherry tomatoes and shredded parmesan. The dressing is just a good quality olive oil. I "blanch" the broccoli with the drained pasta water and quickly throw into cold water and drain. This my husband will eat every day of the week. It seems like there should be some tacos in there somewhere too. I like when you do your meal plan because you cook a lot of similar items that I do and you help me think of what we haven't had for awhile. Thanks for that. You may even guilt me into doing some baking. I have some apples that need to be used and I've been thinking about blueberry muffins for some time. Just need to find the blueberries that are hiding somewhere in the freezer. Have a good week. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make a massive crock pot if soup. I'll now eat for lunches a few days and put at least three bags in freezer. I don't mind soup for lunch even on warm days.

      Delete
  3. I made spaghetti with meat sauce earlier in the week, then added a lingering can of stewed tomatoes, some grated cheese, and baked it in a Pyrex dish the following night. It also served as DH's lunch one day last week. We actually had pizza on Thursday night, which DD brought home from work. Last night was slow cooked broccoli and beef. Tonight will see us eating probably tilapia from the freezer. (Will it EVER get cleaned out--move in June!) I also have some canned pears (why?) in the pantry, which I may use for a tart. Going forward, I have no ideas, beyond a roast on Sunday. Funny, the kids are older, but they seem to eat less, at least, less variety. They don't seem to do the non-stop snacking. While getting out to a store may not be as easy as it once was, I don't think I'm going to, as we head forward, keep the freezer and pantry quite as stocked as I once did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating down for a move is a task, but you sure are making good meals.

      Delete
  4. Tommy is insisting that he will eat chicken that has lingered too long! I had told him it needed to be eaten on Thursday when he got out and prepared leftovers for himself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he doesn't get sick. I suppose if heated through, it'll be fine.

      Delete
  5. I read one time someone said that the best thing about Christmas was that she didn't have to think what to cook. We all have days like that, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even necessarily have same Christmas dinners. Not tradition here as Thanksgiving gets the turkey dinner

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you have a solid plan Sam!

    This week I pulled calzones from the freezer that I made a couple of weeks ago. Then I added 10 egg rolls when I made egg rolls one night along with 3 extra bowls of chili that I made another night.
    Left overs are a lifesaver some weeknights.

    Have a great Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to eat from your freezer! I'll freezer soup and still have a few egg rolls and burritos from the last taco night.

      Delete
  7. I get into those phases too. I would rather just not eat if that is possible, when I am not in the mood to cook/think of what to do.

    This weekend I made Brother #4's chili. it was nearly as good as his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chili and soups seemed to pop up in a lot of folks plans this weekend. I love a good chili.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.