Saturday, April 30, 2022

On Discount Shopping

   


        I can't say I made the most of my Friday off, but not the worst either. Last week I forgot to buy the sink plug so got that taken care of and enjoyed a thrifty coffee out and about. I plodded along on a few things but the on and off rain kept me from some of the things I wanted to do. However, my daughter also had Friday off so we decided to brave the big city and drove to Mike's discount grocer and a stop at Trader Joe's, but not our usual one.

     We both were underwhelmed with the dates on so much of the food and prices were meh. It was crazy seeing Halloween and Christmas  decorated cupcakes and cookies and the discounts were mediocre. It kind of grossed me out to be honest. She made a good stock up though on some still in date vegan cheeses and will freeze. My best deals were some produce items and bread products for freezer. I would have bought more bagels if I had freezer room as just $1 for David's. DH just bought them as a loss leader 2 for $3, so those were a good price. He has been obsessed with them for breakfasts. 

     Trader Joe's was just a few replacement items like minced garlic, cereal bars, spaghetti ( still 99¢ but only had spaghetti left on the shelf at that price- no penne or farfalle) bruschetta and vodka sauce. Eggs were also as low as I've seen them lately at $1.99 a dozen and of course I bought chips and salsa. We really need to avoid stores now as both fridge and freezer are bursting.  I declared this all part of the May spend, so on April 30th, I'm already at $68 for the month. I need to keep this in mind when meal planning Sunday.

     It's doubtful I'll make a trek again to peruse this discount store. It was like a treasure hunt but for copper pennies at best and no gold. Maybe if I'm in the area I'll stop, but DH called it right that after wear and tear on car, there was no savings. Even just gas, I might not have saved over my regular shopping patterns. 

 A Few Win Comparisons

  • Ocean Spray 100% cranberry 6 pack: Mike's $1.50, Walmart  $4.24 ( I doubled on this and should maybe have gotten a few more since dated to June)
  • Peppridge Farm Cinnamon bread:Mike's $1.50, Walmart $3.18
  • Yellow Bell Peppers: Mike's 3 for $2, Walmart $1.12 each 
  • Lacroix Sparking water 8 pack, Mike's $1.99 Walmart $3.68 (daughter's purchase)
  • Myokos vegan cream cheese Mike's $1.99, Target $5.99 (daughter)
  • Myokos vegan butter Mike's $1.99, Target $6.19 ( daughter)
  • Brew Dr Kombucha 4 pack Mike's $4, Walmart $8.98 (daughter, bought two)

     I was miffed that Very Berry Cheerios that were supposed to be $1.99 rang at $3.99 and I didn't notice until looking at the receipt at home. The only grace I'll give that error is the cereal is one my younger daughter loves and it had a June date. My daughter faired better as she stocked a bit on her vegan dairy products for her freezer, but it's hit or miss. She passed on yogurt and bottled cold pressed coffee that was already months past best by dates. I'd love to know if we're out on the road traveling, what stores are worth the stop and look. What's the sell past date acceptability for you and how cheap do you think something should be before ignoring those dates?



20 comments:

  1. Sounds like you both did well on the items you listed.
    That is odd about the holiday cupcakes. How in the world are they still good?
    I have a stocked pantry so I wouldn't buy out of date as it wouldn't fit into my rotation.
    Enjoy your Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the prices had been super low and used first, I might have bought close dates but the bargains weren't great.

      Delete
  2. I would not be tempted with out of date baked goods, and agree that the drive probably eliminates any major savings. I know you like Trader Joes, and it's a place I buy snacks & treats for the kids (as well as plenty of other things). Thought I'd recommend the "Gone Bananas" chocolate covered frozen bananas as a reasonably moderate calories treat that is amazing. I think you can have four pieces for 100 calories, and they remind me of chocolate covered bananas that they sell at Disney. They are delicious & one of our top favorite treats. If anyone likes those flavors, worth trying out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do sound delicious. Though, I have so many bananas all the time that end up in the freezer I could make them

      Delete
    2. Oh, and we did get these tiny little vegan ice cream cones and figured each is just 63 calories. We each had two on the ride home. I made my daughter keep the rest.

      Delete
  3. I must admit I don't often check the Best before dates, except on dairy.. Oh and salad dressing too. When my mom passed away (in 2003) we were cleaning out her fridge for things we knew Dad wouldn't use and came across a bottle of salad dressing with a best before date of 1989. :p That definitelh was tossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would still want a really steep discount. These weren't much better than a sale. That is some old dressing!

      Delete
  4. We never take any notice of sell-by dates, it's not killed us ....yet!
    I had no idea you could buy minced garlic - you live and learn! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my house if already bought I'd use, but no idea how these were stored, where stored, and still not a bargain. I like the jarred chopped garlic as do handy and it really is close to fresh if being cooked anyway.

      Delete
  5. Halloween decorated cookies and cupcakes do not sound appetizing at all! LOL. I don't usually go too far past a sell by date, just to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baked goods were just weird. Same as what grocery or Walmart might self for 1/2 price or better day after Holiday.

      Delete
  6. I check for "best by" dates on baked goods, and dairy. I don't really worry about it on canned goods and things like air tight boxed crackers, BUT, I will only by things past their date if they are deep discount. Here, our discount store charges $0.08 for these things. I bought a case of canned peas for $0.08. I also bought several graham cracker crusts for $0.08/each. Currently, that store has canned pumpkin with a best by date in May, buy 1/get 1 free ($1.29) I intend to get a few when they hit their past "best by" date price of $0.08/can. This store is right across the street from the store I typically shop at in "town" so I always have a quick run through when I am in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These weren't 8¢ that's for sure! At best many things were merely loss leader prices.

      Delete
  7. I always check dates on everything. Of course, the time I don't check, I am surprised by the date that is too close. I want dairy products reasonably in date, but older dates that are cheap enough are okay. I can easily incorporate them into the menu early and leave off a planned dish.
    Cupcakes from the holidays in 2021? That's horrible!
    Your daughter really racked up on deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did find a few good buys for how she shops and cooks.

      Delete
  8. For the first time in my life I actually looked at the store flyers to see what was on offer this week and then duly trotted to each shop to check them out. While there were a couple of deals on fresh fruit and veg (and also sunflower oil), when I compared it to the prices of most of the store brand stuff I usually buy, the store brand was still cheaper so I don't think I'll waste my time again! Oh well, at least I tried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep shopping how I do. I just don't want to spend time chasing bargains, layering coupons, etc. It could be fun if someone enjoyed it but I don't want stuff in my house I don't use either.

      Delete
  9. I am not worried by sell by or use by dates with the exception of dairy and fresh meats. I grew up long before things were dated and people could pretty much tell if food was still good or it had spoiled. I think some of the dates are there because (1) we are a very litigious nation and (2) planned obsolescence is a money maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'd get burned if it was really old stuff. Plus, these were not mind blowing discounts. I totally agree though in my own house, I'll still use out of date items if they got out of rotation.

      Delete
  10. Very berry Cherrios? I have learned something.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.