Wednesday, May 11, 2022

My Wednesday Pantry-Use it Up

      The week before last, I mentioned after our discount store and Trader Joe haul that I need to eat down the refrigerator and freezer, but also needed is to use opened boxes, bags, and partial containers in the pantry. That was the goal that week. I actually snapped a picture or two. I also tried with lunches and snacks. Covid threw a wrench in our life, but that motivated me more to stay put and not do more shopping. This is examples over a week and a half. I don't really have much plan other than to not waste.

 Here's a brief use it up tally and how I incorporated bits.

  • Blueberry Muffins: last of a box of baking mix, old almond milk, last of a very old bag of frozen blueberries, plus two eggs from an older carton. I know they look anemic, but the sides were getting brown and I didn't want to over bake. These came along on move out day too.


  • Small egg bake: Last three eggs, same carton, bit of cheddar cheese, several slices of lingering deli ham, bit of sour cream from carton used previously, handful of mushrooms, and a handful of frozen spinach. This was brunch Sunday and plenty of leftover muffins which the college girl was happy to find
  • Apple Crisp: I had those old apples that were prepped a while back. They made an appearance Sunday and were used up, along with the last 3/4 cups of quick oats to make this apple crisp. I've got tons of oatmeal packets we need to get through now before restocking. The only down side is I do use plain oats for other cooking. The bad- came out way too sweet, despite not using much sugar.


  • Roasted vegetables tray: Three of last five small potatoes, about 3/4 pound of baby carrots, 1/2 last onion, last of a punit of mushrooms bought two Fridays earlier

  • Tika masala: last two potatoes, last of the carrots, other have of the onion, 1/2 tomato and onions that had been for burgers, another handful of frozen spinach 
  • Lunch tuna salad: Doubled up two cans and used two celery stalks, for  snack crackers ( open boxes needing to be eaten) and last two hamburger buns 
  • Chicken noodle, soup for a couple days lunches: All leftovers from roasted veg and chicken, remainder of a carton of vegetable broth, two celery stalks (used up), last of a bag of egg noodles.
  • Pasta sauce: last of spinach, last of a bag of parmesan, rest of a jar of artichokes hearts.

     We also had  total leftover nights a few nights.  I feel pretty good about the amount of potential waste I avoided. Plus, it pushed me to think creatively on how to use things. Not having pantry, freezer, and fridge clutter is a good bonus. The freezer is still packed though I know what's there,  but the refrigerator is looking lean in a good way. We all have different lingering items, but give this a try and tell us in the comments how it went.




17 comments:

  1. You do a very good job of utilizing your open pkgs and leftovers from items used in previous meals. You're much more creative than I would be. I come up with uses of most items but they are used in a more common way - not particularly inventive. I don't do well when I try to be more creative and I want the food to be edible. I've made things that only my husband will eat, that I wouldn't. Because of him, items were not thrown out, but it does keep me from trying to be something that I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apple crisp was the fail- just too sweet so not all got eaten. It's not always a win- I cherry picked the best for the post.

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy the challenge of using up the contents of the fridge before restocking. You've made some tasty sounding things there and it's nice to see nothing going to waste isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorites were the egg bake and pasta sauce. I got two meals from the sauce.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy getting creative with leftovers and making an entire different meal out of them. It keeps us from getting bored with our meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such a good cook already so giving yourself creative freedom I bet you end up with really nice options.

      Delete
  4. I'm following your example and trying to use down my freezer food. As Lori said, it might be fun to get creative. All the more so for me since I only have myself to please (or not, as the case may be)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be surprising to see how much is there. I uncovered more hamburger than I thought I had and it needs to be used.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I loved this. SO many great ideas. I do this a lot. Go through the fridge and actually ask myself what can I use this in? Therefore not wasting a 1/2 container of chicken broth, or shelf stable milk. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food just costs too much, plus waste of food really is sad. I like reading other people's ideas to use it up.

      Delete
  6. Tommy was impressed the first time I did this and he was watching, telling me what was in the refrigerator because I could not see or reach some of the things. He said, "That cleaned out the refrigerator." I pointed out the food was not wasted. We ate a whole meal from vegetables that needed to be used. I just saw one yellow squash that I need to put in vegetables roasted in the oven. Otherwise, it will have to go in the trash. You made a lot of things that I don't cook. Tommy peeled, cored, and chopped five apples that are not the best. I made a bit of streusel to put on the top. Hopefully, it will be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully your streusel wasn't too sweet like my apple crisp. That was my disappoinment.

      Delete
  7. Great! Sounds delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.
    I didn't do so great last week. I ended up throwing out a handful of moldy strawberries and some slimy lettuce and a brown avocado. I did manage to use the peppers in tikka masala and fajitas, so I was glad they didn't go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems strawberries can turn so quick. I have to watch for them and make sure they get eaten.

      Delete
  8. I am right there with you using bits and pieces of whatever we have on hand to cob together some sort of dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband seems more satisfied when I make new meals with same ingredients than leftover nights. He's challenging that way.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.