Thursday, May 12, 2022

Thrifty Thursday- More Economy Travel

   


      It's an oxymoron that my daughter will be travelling on Friday to Costa Rica, and to add to add it to a Thrifty Thursday post. This is her and her roommates big hurrah in lieu of a Senior trip or any spring break trips as their college years have so far been Covid years. Next year they'll be graduating and launching farther. She and one friend want to stay on campus spring semester as they'll have missed fall semester studying abroad, and soak up their last few months as undergrads. She found a few ways to economize.

  • She's got energy bars for quick pick me up snack 
  • Packing a water bottle to hydrate on the cheap
  • We're still not clear what the airline has for in air entertainment, so she's planning accordingly with book and downloaded podcasts
  • She has her documents verifying she has recovered from COVID-19 to avoid a costly at airport COVID test
  • She's getting a few dollars in local currency so she can take advantage of there are lower prices depending on one currency use for meals for the week. Her spending money is cumulatively saved gift money from a few years. 
  • She needed Razer's and hers were still unpacked, but Sluggy box to the rescue. Thanks again, Sluggy.

     As for me, not much in the thrift department but repeating the mantra, every bit helps. He's a quick recap.

  • Got Mother's Day and slew of graduation cards at Dollar tree still  2 for $1. We're up to four graduations.
  • Entered receipts in Fetch. I'm still nearly 3,000 points from first reward. I get very few bonus scans. I can get referral points if someone uses my code. DXREDD
  • Did MS Rewards quizzes, but admittedly forgot many days 
  • DH used gas points totaling 40¢ off per gallon to fill his tank
  • Free entertainment was books from the library, starting to rewatch  The Crown, walks when it wasn't pouring rain, book club, and some online solitaire. We also watched the Kentucky Derby.
  • No nights out while staying home saved money, but still had cocktails for Mother's Day using alcohol we already had at home

     My daughter has some last running around today but I've got a full plus work day. More to share in that. I've got more to share all over the place, that might explain more my adrift feelings from Tuesday. It's early to bed for me as I'll be hauling her to the airport for a 6:00 a.m. flight. Are any of you finding new ways to save, or at least not spend more than necessary?



24 comments:

  1. How is that an oxymoron? I know what an oxymoron is, but I must be missing something in that first sentence and paragraph.

    How did she decided on Costa Rica to visit? I hope she has a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not specifically in the grammatical sense it's not. But talking exciting ( and expensive) international vacation in a thrift post, is where I was heading. Costa Rica? Why not :)? It's gorgeous and Spanish speaking and they're all fluent.

      Delete
    2. I get it now. I was looking for something else, I suppose. I thought maybe she had friends there or a special historical destination. But, you are right, why not?

      Delete
    3. It's just a reasonably affordable destination for young people. I wouldn't mind going myself but not ready for international travel yet.

      Delete
  2. It seems saving money, right now, is almost impossible. Just paid the property taxes and have vehicle insurances all due on the 1st of June, so saved money for those has been tapped. House insurance is coming up soon and my savings is a little short, but should be able to scrape enough to cover another year. I have gotten inventory of what has been neglected in our small basement freezer and have been utilizing various items for our meals. Some items are a bit frosty, but not freezer burned, and need to be used. Once I get it empty, we will defrost it and then try to fill it up with new items with a better kept inventory. With prices what they are, you really don't want to waste any food, especially now. The next project will be what we have in the back of the refrigerator freezer. It's quite deep and I lose things all the time. I do expect there will be some banana bread and blueberry muffins in the near future and I seem to have a few packages of chocolate chips that need to be used up. An ongoing task, but slowly utilizing bits and pieces, saving from purchasing new items at the store. Ideally, I would be able to bake and cook up various meals and goodies and pack up tightly and freeze for future use. It would be nice to have finished items to pull from the freezer, instead of things that always need to be cooked or baked. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Target run filling a travel checklist was so anti thrift it hurt! We had some gift cards to apply that helped the damage. But necessities still need to be bought. Good luck with your project.

      Delete
  3. What are MS rewards and do you have a referral code for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No referral code needed but you'll need to make a Microsoft account. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/rewards

      Delete
  4. Sounds like some good savings!
    I hope your daughter has a wonderful trip, and I'm glad that she has the documentation for covid recovery.
    Will Costa Rica's state of emergency affect her trip though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked what was happening with the cyber attacks. It seemed it was personal Costa Rican citizen data- likely new fire walls have been built and reinforced post hack. It might actually be safer this week.

      Delete
  5. I hope she has a wonderful trip! Costa Rica sounds very exciting and probably worth every penny! It’s the same old things around here, trying to save where we can. This is the time of year that I really focus on using up what’s on hand since it’s flood season in PA. I don’t store much in the basement but inevitably things end up down there. Make sure you’re scanning every recent with Fetch. Gas, fast food, dollar tree. I do multiple small shops a week since I’m next to a Walmart and I find they add up quickly. I mentioned last week (I think) that I found a new money saving rebate app. It’s called Zarty and I’m a big fan. They don’t have referrals. But it’s a Walmart only app so it’s not for everyone. I earned a $10 gift card after two trips! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's essentially applying
      my work scholarship and gift money, so while a splurge, not hurting her financially. She's been very diligent working and earning and saving. I hope she has a wonderful time. I just don't shop- no one shops much here, but ai do scan.

      Delete
  6. I hope your daughter's trip is fun filled.
    Thrift has taken on a new definition as prices on everything rise. I still try to find the best deals on everything, but it seems to be a very difficult path, especially since "best" prices are changing right before my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying what we need and use, avoiding the frivolous extras is my only true strategy. DH will want to go out for dinner or lunch this weekend so I feel like he should be indulged once in a while.

      Delete
  7. I hope your daughter has a wonderful time in Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for some time off in Costa Rica! I am def not ready for travel again!

    I'm trying to cut back on my shopping, but on a day-to-day basis I spend almost nothing. I walk to and from work, which supplies free coffee, I bring my own lunch, and I don't spend a cent during my work days.

    Today's a Mom-Day, which I typically pay for: any parking costs, entry fees, etc. and I always pay for lunch...and I bus home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a mom, I'm a bit nervous, but she's full on 21, so need to be brave. I've been sure to not make extra stops and that helps me avoid picking things up just because.

      Delete
  9. I hope your daughter has a fabulous trip! I cannot seem to save anywhere, just treading water. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much accumulated here either, but I'm tracking the little things. I made my daughter an egg burrito quick even though it was so early. This hopefully means when she has her layover, one of her Cliff bars will be enough and she won't need expensive airport food.

      Delete
  10. Ooohhh Costa Rica - how wonderful! Tell her to eat in a "soda", which is a small mom and pop place and probably cheaper than the bigger restaurants. I found the prices more or less ok but souvenirs - forget it!!! Lucky her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed it on! Her only goal is pictures for souvenirs, or a sloth!

      Delete
  11. I hope this trip is everything that she dreamed of, and I will be happy when she is back on American soil. That is the mother in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! But, we have to let them fly.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.