Friday, June 10, 2022

Friday Free For All- What's in a job?

     


     Not much to new to write about me as I've sprinkled life bits throughout the week. I snapped the picture above last night at the river. We went to a concert that I'll share as part of my W's. Thank you for the fun comments and conversations from yesterday's price comparison post. If you'd ever want to share picture of receipts, I'd give little snippets from around the blog in future posts. samandcoffee65@gmail.com is my email. 

     I've done a lot of pondering though about other people's life and fall asleep with a full head and wake up foggy. Good thing it's Friday and I can do my dump here of anything and nothing. I have a planning meeting at my new bosses house. It's a good 50 minute drive there, leaving at 8:30, but home will be longer as it'll be rush hour. I'm hanging on by a thread at work and need a planning day this week like I need a third job- not at all. I think she's sort of bored, trying to figure out what she should be focusing on, but also knowing her position may or may not go beyond the first of the year. It's another odd backfilled interim position. I'll launch from there.

Jobs and Meaning 

   What people do and their employer and job titles mean more at different stages. My daughter really wanted an internship rather than just a job this summer. Well that didn't pan out, but she now has two jobs. She'll work a few hours a month for a telecommunications organization, which will be resume building, but also took a job at another fast chain restaurant. Now, she's feeling like she's getting jokes and flack about the second job because it's what high schoolers would take. But it  pays fairly well, is giving her the shifts she wanted, days, and is just for summer. 

     Her friend who still has no summer job, other than odd babysitting, but sounds like she's hardly looked, said, she'd never work there as her brothers both didn't like it and she has standards of what she'll do or not do. She's on her own for college expenses, mostly funded through student loans. Good luck with your standards when you're adding another  $4,000 to your student loans for the next year. I'm proud of  my kids willing to do hard work, respectable work, even if not their dream work. Nothing is permanent and this helps her plan for her future. Quite frankly, I was a bit appalled at her friends elitist attitude. 

Non-Conversations 

     One of us is right. I swear I tell DH things and then he's certain he's never heard a thing. He was completely unaware I was going into the cities today. I know I mentioned this more than once. Then he'll say " when, when did you tell me this?" Like it's a meeting I would have logged on a calendar. I know I made a reference last night about the meeting and he didn't blink.  A bird left a gift and I said I suppose I should run it through the car wash when I get gas before I go to Minneapolis. So last night he was tracking something but this morning, clueless. This happens a lot and sometimes he has me unsure. He regularly mentions things to his mom, that he thinks he's told me. Is it an age thing? A couples thing? It's getting annoying for both of us.

     That's what I got for this morning. I need to do a couple work things then head out to deal with the car. I'll get a coffee for the road. I hope you have a good Friday. Add your free for all thoughts. 




32 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your meeting.
    It's good that your daughter has the attitude that she does. I worked as a waitress for 5 years while I was going to school and I actually made very good money for fewer hours. It's sad that some feel so entitled.
    I'm VERY happy that is finally Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wanted a server position but this came up first. She's making as much per hour as she would have at one if the internships and in town so not wasting gas.

      Delete
  2. Safe travels and I hope the meeting is helpful.
    Sounds like you have one smart girl! I think we have all worked jobs that weren't our first choice, and I think her friend is in for a rude awakening.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her friend which is part of my shock. Her parents work so hard so she had good role models.

      Delete
  3. I worked three jobs all through college, and multiple jobs in high school - including fast food. I also sold toilet paper, worked for the school fundraising department, an interned at a tech company. I needed all of the jobs to afford college & my apartment. Your daughter is absolutely doing the right thing!

    Hope you have a lovely weekend & get a small window of productivity at some point today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to your work schedule. My daughter likes working, likes having some spending money and money to offset real expenses. She never asks for anything and thanks us regularly for paying her college costs. Anything she saves will help in Spain, since she can't work there, plus post graduation to get first apartment or grad school.

      Delete
  4. Safe drive! Kudos to your daughter, because she understands that at the end of the day she needs $$$! It's a job that a lot of college students work year round, so no issues with it as a summer job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's happy to be working and I'm glad she has this attitude.

      Delete
  5. I worked a lot of different jobs and have no regrets. I feel I benefited in some way or another, from each of them. I won't list or detail, but let's just say I am more tolerant of certain situations, than a lot of other people would ever be. It's not what the job is, it's how you do the job that matters. I wish her good luck and kudos for being sensible and realistic. Sometimes, lowering ones standards, are what pays the bills. Too bad her friend sees it differently. (sorry your daughter didn't get the internship she hoped for) Good work ethics are important, no matter what the job. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Customer service skills go far in many areas of life. working with others, sharing tasks, all essential. I'm disappointed for her in the internship but they were hard to come by this year- paid ones at least.

      Delete
  6. Hope your meeting is nice.
    Kudos to your daughter! I had all of my kids to work in a food establishment before they were in their first "real" job. They were line cooks, waiters, bartenders, you name it and they did it. It is a great place to learn how to work together as a team, plus it is a great lesson on how NOT to treat others. I feel kind of sorry for your daughter's friend. She is missing out on some valuable life learnings you just can't get in class.
    About your husband not hearing__I have the same issue here but I think it is more selective listening than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this friend, but seriously don't know how she's going to be prepared to live independently and not be so riddled with debt before even getting out of school with a first degree.

      Delete
  7. I am also appalled at that elitist attitude! We have so many jobs available that no one is taking. What are all these people doing for money?
    It is a husband thing! Mine never remembers anything, it drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's got good babysitting pay, but probably spends much of that in fun. She's living summer with parents, and paying school and school year rent with some earnings but student loans. I don't think she truly understands what kind of payments she'll have.

      Delete
  8. Your daughter’s friend will be sorry when she is paying back those student loans including the extra money she used to live on during her school years. The interest on those loans stinks! Students should only borrow what they need for school and no extras! Kudos to your children for doing it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids like to enjoy life, travel, etc. but know that takes money, and money needs to be earned. That's huge motivation.

      Delete
  9. My oldest works at Applebee’s bar and grill full time and he makes pretty good money as well as benefits. Folks are all into prestige. I told him if he enjoyed the work (he likes his coworkers) and since he does make decent money to not worry about what other people think. Plus, they are not paying his bills. He has six months of expenses saved up and no debt so………Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for him. My sister has been a server her whole life, and has a degree. She makes more than she would in her trained field.

      Delete
  10. Be safe!!! i've worked at various jobs ever since I was 14 so that I could afford my moped and later cars. However I didn't save for college and I should have. But if it's a toss up between going to a movie or sticking in savings... I'd choose the movie.
    Oh - Meri closed the day care almost a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remembered how to drive in rush hour- just have patience. I lived hand to mouth in college. I spent most of what I earned in highschool going to France, but so worth it!

      Delete
  11. That is not a good attitude for someone who is paying her own tuition! How is babysitting anymore prestigious than fast food? (rhetorical)
    We went through the same thing yesterday with eggs left in hot car for 8 or 9 hours. He gets loud, red-faced and accusatory. I don't think men pay attention. They hear the words but don't bother registering the thought. But, what do I know.

    I will tell Tommy to put that in the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, not to put it in the top shelf. I go in later and the item is on the top shelf. I remind him what I said. He says to me that the last thing he heard was "put it on the top shelf." What's with that? My vote is dementia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband admits mistakes- just not admitting to me that I told him plans and schedules.

      Delete
  12. It's a job, for crying out loud, not a career, and it puts some coins in her pocket for the upcoming school year. Oh well, you preacher, me choir. Your poor daughter getting grief for working a part time, seasonal job. Standards, eh? ::headshake::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stupid jokes, but she'll like getting a paycheck!

      Delete
  13. So proud of your daughter. Honest work is work and I don't care where it is. I would work at MCd's if I needed a job and that was all that was available. It doesn't matter where you work as long as you are earning money to help with your expenses. Those student loans are hard to pay back. You have given her good common sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how any hours she'll get but minimally, she'll probably bear $5000 over the summer. This literally covers all her study abroad costs plus the extra weeks she plans on staying. I know what my older kids pay in their post grad loans- no way for the 4 year degree.

      Delete
  14. I used to have the same problem with the lovely Dutchman I was seeing. I remember telling my friend I was worried about him because I would tell him something and later he'd swear I'd never said any such think. My friend's reply kinda put it in perspective "my poor dear, are you REALLY assuming he's listening"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's it. He tells me things and rambles, so I really have to listen to figure out what he's talking about. I tell him things directly, wait for a response, nod, something,...but that doesn't mean anything.

      Delete
  15. My husband "hears" me but when I tell him remember, I told you I was blah, blah, blah, he will say oh yeah, oh yeah. I doubt he recalls. Oblivious lol. So... I may do the same to him at times but on purpose. It does get him a bit miffed which I find satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I don't think it's amusing when he is so oblivious. It's part of the mind always at work brain he has too, which is annoying at best.

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a common-spouse matter. We assume if it's important you will tell us again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess- but when it is said again, the surprise of supposedly hearing it for the first time is big. DH holds firm that nothing was said.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.