Saturday, June 11, 2022

My Week in W's- Venturing Out

      Changes this week in the house. My daughter had her first night at the very part time job and two events this week. After accepting the first job that got back to her, it was like a waterfall. Two more called her to offer employment. We figured that's what would happen with school getting out. 

What’s top of my mind: 

Hiring Games; I'll add to last week in that I don't understand employers begging for people, but no communication with prospective employees. I guess it's chicken and egg. They're too busy because they're short handed, but then too busy to finalize hiring. I'm really annoyed for my older daughter who was left hanging for weeks and only learned status because she checked in. Then the hiring person had the pluck to suggest she should be interested in a different position! I'm not giving the story the full details, but short to say it was the rudest handling of a prospective employee.  

     She doesn't need a new job- this was more exploratory on her part anyway, but I think my daughter dodged what could have been a horrible work experience if the hiring process was such a cluster. When people lament they can't get good people, this is why. People have figured out belt tightening, even in inflation, and the workforce does have a tiny bit of clout in picking and choosing where they work.  The college kid went with the job that actually followed up timely from their application process, so she feels it has at least proper store management behind it. I still don't have my position posted and made the request in May 12th!

Where I've been: 

     So many places this week. I joined my daughter's to look at another, not the house. More creative photography, misleading details, and more work than my daughter wants or financially would be worth taking on. She'll find something, but it needs to be right. DH went to a concert by the river, trio covering women performers through the decades. Our city is hosting free Thursday night concerts throughout summer. 



     Last night, after my big trip to a full day work meeting in Minneapolis, DH and I went for dinner at a bar and grill restaurant. They had Bingo, video bingo and we played along, both winning a prize, me a t-shirt and him a hat. Oh, exciting! I think we'll definitely go again. We rarely go out here but the food was as good as our normal place, but that tends to be so crowded on Friday and Saturdays. This was the B&G that hosts Tuesday night trivia. 


   

Where I’m going:

     I think I'm going to stop at the Farmer's market and I need to get cash out. I've a double grad party today and no cash for the cards. It's supposed to be off and on rainy and steamy, so not sure plans for Sunday. I'll review contents of the kitchen, then make a list before heading for groceries. As so many, I don't want to buy things without purpose, but will stick up if a better deal. 

What I’m watching:

     With being out and about more, a bit less TV, but I've watched a few episodes of Call the I'm very behind on some YouTube channel posts. Maybe with the rain, I'll stream while getting stuff done inside.

What I’m reading:

      A Theatre for Dreamers it's been a slow read for me, but not because it's not being enjoyed- I've just had interrupted reading time. I need to read my book club book by next Monday too.

      I thought this was funny. What am I not reading? The obituaries at a concert. Through the whole performance a women was reading the newspaper. I looked up and she had the paper on this section through two songs.

What I’m listening to:

     I listened to an MPR story on podcast's. It was interesting and made me think I should really find some I like as alternatives in the car. Of course, I listened to the video bingo songs. Funny to hear the change up from the Beebee's to Def Leopard to Vanilla Ice then Garth Brooks.

What I’m eating:

     I maximized the chicken drumsticks into two meals with leftovers. The chicken tortellini was a major hit this week. I just used the drippings from the chicken, carrots, celery and more water to make a broth before adding the frozen cheese tortellini and diced chicken to the crockpot. I stirred in a can of cream of chicken soup to make it creamier. It wasn't thick though, so was sort of a cross between a super thick soup and creamy sauce. 

Who needs a good slap:

      Besides the hiring people mentioned earlier, I'm going to give just a small slap to my neighbors at the end of the Cul-de-sac. Both of the last houses have young kids. They tend to bring out camp chairs and sit at the end of the street, basically creating a barrier for kids in bikes, scooter's etc. to ride in the cul-de-sac. That's not the issue in itself, but several of us in the neighborhood have a lot of comings and goings with several adults with jobs at different schedules, or need to come and go because we have a different lifestyle since no young kids at home . I get anxious both with my own family making sure to be super cautious when someone leaves or comes home, or just thinking about how easy a tragedy could occur. They also seem a bit bothered having to move chairs aside multiple times for people coming and going. They could set up their camp at the park and let the kids ride on the bike/ walking path, but I do get the gathering spot is convenient. I don't want to be "that" neighbor so won't say anything, but a little slap for inconvenience and risk is in order.

What I’m planning:

     We'll go to the lake father's day weekend. I'll help my MIK prepare for her brother, niece, and her daughters the following weekend. We will be in Chicago so just DH will see them unless I drive up late. Still no confirmation if my son will come or not. At home, we're still purging and organizing. The hammock arrived so we need to get that put together. I'm sure that will be DD2's new hangout.

What’s making me smile:

     It was a good meeting in person yesterday. I've only met my one colleague once despite working together two years. I already knew my boss, but hadn't yet seen her in person in her new role. These are all good women- we all have our quirks and foibles, but we seem to mesh. Our boss insisted no one bring anything and she treated us to a delicious lunch. I don't expect work and personal lives to intertwine, but sometimes seeing the personal with professional is a way to help each other maintain that balance.

   That's the week in my life in W's. Play along if you'd like or comment on any of my W's. 

11 comments:

  1. I would be that mother. Take a bag of cookies to them, good cookies and tell them they need to set up in a yard, that if anyone complains to the police, it will disrupt their fun day. And, oh, by the way, Whose mother will cry if you get hit out here?

    Cookies will soften the blow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be resolved as yesterday they were in their own driveways chatting. Nice idea but I don't want to be a treat lady.

      Delete
  2. Happy to hear it sounds like you had a good week. Balance is so important and it seems like you nailed it. Enjoy your Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not feeling very balanced these days, but aiming for a good front.

      Delete
  3. You know I would send the neighbors and anonymous note about the danger. Just say you are concerned; it will keep you from feeling responsible if something does happen. Because you would be devastated if something did and you had said nothing. Then don't have to know it was you. I agree with people not getting back on hires. What is that all about? I know people are overwhelmed and busy but really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hiring issue was just frustrating. Of course once she accepted one others would call, then be surprised she had another job. I had decided to say something to the neighbor mom's, but it seems either common sense kicked in or someone else said something.

      Delete
  4. We had a couple of summers with nightmare kids in the neighborhood. Every since they moved away, it's been peaceful. It only takes a couple of bad ones to influence the rest. There were break-ins, pets disappearing or getting shot with pellet guns, just really bad stuff. So glad nothing like that is happening anymore. I hope your neighbor's kids move their gig somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are young kids, and parents, so more a safety issue than trouble making. They were acting like the street in the cul-de-sac was a seperate paved park.

      Delete
  5. I don’t get the employers begging for help but not communicating with potential employees either. It’s frustrating. Cookies for the boys in the cul-de-sac sounds like a good idea to me too. I hope they will all be safer In The future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think common sense might have clicked or someone else said something. I'm not the cookie neighbor lady- don't want to be that nice, but had decided I would say something casually to the parents.

      Delete
  6. That all sounds lovely, especially the trip to the lake.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.