Wednesday, November 16, 2022

My Wednesday Pantry- Using Leftover Chili

     I often have more leftover chili than we want for leftovers. Of course, freezing portions works for easy lunches or supper's in the future. I thought about all the ingredients in chili and know they are the base for other good meals as well. That's what I set out to do with Saturday's leftovers. My chili was vegan as my daughter made it, but I got to say a traditional beef or chicken chili would really be good in a repurposed leftover meal. 

Chili Mac and Cheese topped with cheese blend. I was really lazy and combined about  1 and 1/2 cups chili with prepared boxed Mac and cheese, then baked with a little more cheddar blend. It would have been better with homemade Mac and cheese. 


Chili, rice, and cheese burritos, to be topped with cheese, salsa, and sour cream. I froze these individually for one night next week, or lunches. I like these IKEA storage containers with snap lick kids. This size holds a two person meal perfectly, three large burritos. While I didn't freeze like this, it would work nicely. 


If you want other ideas, I found this link for What to do with leftover chili-10-great-ideas and it sparked a few other ideas. 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks or both idea and then link. Often I have a cup or so of chili left and usually just freeze it, but these are great options for using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent some home with my daughter, but it was a nice change.

      Delete
  2. I love to do chili cheese wonton cups or chili cheese 'egg rolls'. The chili cheese burritos are always tasty too. I always freeze in 1 serving or 2 serving amounts so that we can just pull out how much we need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Lori. The stuff in chili is a great meal and base.

      Delete
  3. I have glass containers like those and love them. I think the brand is Snap Lock. They snack so nicely. I use a small rectangular one as a butter dish that can stay on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine just came from IKEA so their brand but I've seen snap lick in stores.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link. In summer chilli in a hollowed out butternut pumpkin or zucchini ( I often miss them in the garden when small and then find a giant one) and baked in a slow oven for about an hour, then topped with more cheese and sour cream is also yummy. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, we never let chili go to waste. What we don’t eat or use, we definitely freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing should be wasted and chili is a great lunch option.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.